PDA

View Full Version : Question about changing back of Misura

Ryan Kim
15-Feb-2009, 02:38
Hi,
I have an Arca-Swiss Misura.
I've been trying to understand the movements, and realized that lack of back tilt and swing would make it harder for newbie like myself to understand all the movements. So, I'm thinking about selling it and get the one with rear tilt and swing like Arca-Swiss F-line or Ebony. Or, if it is possible, get a function carrier of Arca-Swiss F-line and replace it with Misura's. That way, I don't have to lose a lot of money for selling Misura.(I bought the new one.......I know I was stupid..)
Does anyone know if that is possible or not?

Brad Rippe
15-Feb-2009, 11:35
Ryan,
I wouldn't be in a rush to sell your Misura. Its a great camera and if you're new to LF, you are going to have years of learning it. Rear tilt is nice to have, but for now, I'd learn all you can about what your camera can do, (it can do a lot).
I don't know about replacing the rear standard, but you probably can because Arca Swiss is incredibly adaptable.
Hopefully Emmanuel will advise you on the cameras flexibility.
-Brad

more photography
15-Feb-2009, 12:16
Hi,
I have an Arca-Swiss Misura.
I've been trying to understand the movements, and realized that lack of back tilt and swing would make it harder for newbie like myself to understand all the movements.

I prefer front movements to back tilt and swing. I have both on my Arca F-Metric, but always use the front. I only use the back to lrvel the camera if I point up or down.

The onlt time back tilt is preferable is if your lens has limited image circle.

Use it, and then decide.

Ryan Kim
15-Feb-2009, 15:04
Thank you for your advice Brad~~

I usually shoot landscapes and city snaps, and I don't think both of them are requring back movements a lot. However, I sometimes want to try to shoot some visionary photos too. I think it will be much easier if I use back tilt or swing for those phantasmal images.

Gordon Moat
15-Feb-2009, 18:57
Back standard movements can be useful for selective focus. Interestingly, despite the lack of back movements on a Misura, you can accomplish the same thing in a few other methods. You might also look into swapping the front and rear standards on the rail, since the modular construction could allow that (I think). Hopefully Emanuel Biggler will stumble upon this thread and provide a little more information.

I would truly enjoy owning a Misura. I think it is a fantastic camera. Unfortunately I am stuck with a budget that dictates a Shen-Hao, though if you ever want to trade your Misura for my Shen-Hao . . . . . . . . (I know, I'm dreaming) . . . . my Shen-Hao has tons of back standard movements.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

more photography
19-Feb-2009, 07:48
Back standard movements can be useful for selective focus. Interestingly, despite the lack of back movements on a Misura, you can accomplish the same thing in a few other methods. You might also look into swapping the front and rear standards on the rail, since the modular construction could allow that (I think). Hopefully Emanuel Biggler will stumble upon this thread and provide a little more information.

I would truly enjoy owning a Misura. I think it is a fantastic camera. Unfortunately I am stuck with a budget that dictates a Shen-Hao, though if you ever want to trade your Misura for my Shen-Hao . . . . . . . . (I know, I'm dreaming) . . . . my Shen-Hao has tons of back standard movements.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

Hi Gordon

Arca are very modular,the base tilt is situated on the function carrier, which you attach the format frames to, providing you can wich carriers back to front and maintain the standards, you should be able to yse back tilt.
I am not sure if ther Misura has any special items, but I think it is based on the Arca platform

Emmanuel BIGLER
19-Feb-2009, 12:03
I was not at home those days and it took me some time to stumble but here I am ;)

Regular rear function carriers for the F-line series definitely fit the misura's rail...which is nothing but the same rail profile as the F-line except that it fold upwards and that it is slightly longer (32 cm, from memory vs; 30 cm for a regular folding rail)
So if you believe (here, we respect all beliefs) that you cannot live without rear tilts and swings, you can adapt your misura's rear format frame to a regular rear function carrier.
But you'll probably loose the capability to store the whole camera in the leather bag, this to be checked.

neil poulsen
20-Feb-2009, 05:57
Out of curiosity, what characteristics does this camera have that would incline someone to keep it?