PDA

View Full Version : Epson 4990 software install

Wayne
14-Feb-2009, 15:19
I'm trying to install my 4990 software on a new laptop. I remember there was trouble the first time I installed it. I remember the trouble involved the Adobe Photoshop Elements, but I dont remember much else. It involved either not installing it then installing everything else, or installing it and then uninstalling it after installing everything else (ADE wont work on Windows XP I guess--I see its not on this computer but the Epson software is, and works fine), and I've tried both now and nothing has worked, and its a long slow process . I cant start the Epson scan software, it shuts down immediately. I can call Epson Monday but thought I'd throw it out here in the meantime. Someone else must have encountered this. I dont want to guess and try different possible sequences, its too time consuming.

RPNugent
14-Feb-2009, 15:33
Are you using the supplied CD or downloading the software from Epson's site? I just installed the software on a new desktop with no problems, but I downloaded the newest version. I have had no issues with either XP or Vista with the 4990 software, just make sure you load before hooking up the scanner. I use CS4 so maybe that's why I have no issues.

RPNugent
14-Feb-2009, 15:35
One thing I forgot. Do you have a printer with a scanner built in hooked up? The 4990 software won't let you use them both by USB, you have to go firewire on one to work.

numnutz
14-Feb-2009, 15:39
Try Vuescan @ www.hamrick.com

nn :)

venchka
14-Feb-2009, 16:02
I installed an Epson scanner recently on an XP machine. As Bob Nugent said, download the latest drivers-all of them including Epson Scan. Install. There is a scanner selecting program that you need to run once, pick the 4990 and then you don't have to do that agian. Turn the scanner on and let it finish it's start up before starting Epson Scan software. My installation works fine.