PDA

View Full Version : Will color head filters fade?

chris jordan
25-Jun-2001, 12:45
Hi folks,

I may be buying an old Chromega color head. Just wondering if anyone knows wheth er the filters fade over time, and if changes would be appreciable enough to aff ect B&W work. (e.g., the magenta has gone too "flat" to render any more contrast than a "grade 2", etc.) I know I can always buy external filters to place below the lens, but that would be less than optimal. Thanks in advance for your repon ses!

Chris

Scott Walton
25-Jun-2001, 12:51
Dichroic filters are probably the most stable. I would replace your bulb if you find that your contrast drops. Older bulbs that have been burning for a long time tend to go very red causing a shift more than the filters.

john g
25-Jun-2001, 17:34
Yes the do fade after 5-10 years depending on use and will not be as effective. The bulb changing color tword the end of it's life is normal and a completely different issue, get used to it. You will notice your adjustments will be way off and it's time for a new bulb. Check with the manufacturer to see if replacement filters are still available. They are usually not very expensive but this may be the deciding factor on your purchase. Also remember that you will need a voltage regulator if that is not working properly just forget it.

David Vickery
27-Jun-2001, 12:54
If you have to replace the filters (not all that likely) go to Edmund Scientific's web site. they sell a variety of Dichroic filters.