PDA

View Full Version : Calumet c2n & infrared

walter23
13-Feb-2009, 00:00
The manual for this thing warns not to use infrared but I'm not one to give up so easily (and they may have just meant kodak HIE). Has anybody done this with efke or rollei IR? It'd be great if I could shoot 120 roll film IR material in my 4x5.

aphexafx
13-Feb-2009, 00:12
6x12 infrared work would be absolutely cool. Sorry, I can't help answer your question. I can't imagine how a film holder would dictate usability with near IR film. Any efforts and/or materials used to black out visible light should also handle near IR, afaik.

But I will tell you that I want a C2N for regular film now, thanks for that.

walter23
13-Feb-2009, 00:13
It's 6x7, not 6x12... I know there's a 6x9 version as well.

If the film holder is not opaque to IR light it could result in fogging. Some black materials are not opaque to IR.

aphexafx
13-Feb-2009, 00:23
Still cool.

I agree but metal and most seal/gasket materials should be opaque to near IR I think. Is there any plastic, etc.? The thing looks mostly metal to me, but I have never held one so...

Good luck! I hope it works, personally.

GPS
13-Feb-2009, 01:23
The dark slide of the C2N is made of black plastic.

walter23
13-Feb-2009, 01:46
GPS: It seems to be the same as the darkslide from fidelity style film holders so I don't think that part of it will be a problem (I've shot HIE and Efke in 4x5 plastic holders).

Well; I guess I'll just have to try it.

Jim Michael
13-Feb-2009, 06:49
How do you calculate the focus adjustment for IR?

John O'Connell
13-Feb-2009, 09:23
Any efforts and/or materials used to black out visible light should also handle near IR, afaik.

I dunno about the C2N backs, but Calumet knows what it's talking about when it says something is not IR-proof. My CC400-series camera had to be wrapped in tin foil and the darkcloth to prevent IR light-leaks around the back standard with HSI.

GPS
13-Feb-2009, 10:03
6x12 infrared work would be absolutely cool. Sorry, I can't help answer your question. I can't imagine how a film holder would dictate usability with near IR film. Any efforts and/or materials used to black out visible light should also handle near IR, afaik.

Some plastic materials blocking the visible light are not capable of blocking the IR light. They can block/absorb one IR wave length and give off the energy in the form of other IR wave length.

GPS
13-Feb-2009, 10:06
I dunno about the C2N backs, but Calumet knows what it's talking about when it says something is not IR-proof. ...

They surely know, otherwise they wouldn't give their own products bad reputation.

Kirk Gittings
15-Feb-2009, 12:44
FWIW, its easy enough to make dark slides out of thin sheet brass from hobby stores. I did it for my 6x9 C2N roll film bacls as they were always breaking and cheaper to make from metal than buy new in plastic.

D. Bryant
15-Feb-2009, 14:01
How do you calculate the focus adjustment for IR?

Don't worry about it, at normal shooting apertures it becomes a non-issue. The real issue is that the best IR film made is no longer available.

Don

walter23
15-Feb-2009, 14:59
FWIW, its easy enough to make dark slides out of thin sheet brass from hobby stores. I did it for my 6x9 C2N roll film bacls as they were always breaking and cheaper to make from metal than buy new in plastic.

How do you cut thin metal sheets without bending them? I've tried cutting aluminum for some other projects but getting a smooth cut was very difficult. Snips bend the metal, and a cutting wheel (like on a handheld rotary tool) makes an uneven and rough cut.

As you may guess I have no experience with this at all.

walter23
15-Feb-2009, 15:01
Don't worry about it, at normal shooting apertures it becomes a non-issue. The real issue is that the best IR film made is no longer available.

Don

Yeah, HIE is long gone. The rollei & efke stuff works though.