PDA

View Full Version : How solid should my Ebony be?

Edwin Beckenbach
11-Feb-2009, 13:23
The standards on my Ebony 45SU seem to rather loose. I know about adjusting the screws on the bed but in humid weather it will just barely get tight enough and in dry weather it can't be tightened down acceptably at all. I'd like to know if my expectations are properly calibrated, so to speak. Right now with the screws fully tightened, at full extension, both the front and read standards deflect out 1 degree under their own weight. Likewise, if I push on them they will deflect in 1 degree. So there is 2 degrees of play in each standard which feels like quite a lot when I wiggle them around and it amounts to 2 degrees of tilt in neutral position using longer lenses.

I'd appreciate any opinions from other users of this camera on whether this is abnormal
before I contact the manufacturer.

Thanks

Gem Singer
11-Feb-2009, 13:40
What model Ebony do you have?

A few years ago, we noticed that the lower priced entry level model (I believe RW45) was not as solidly built as some of the upscale models.

However, one, or two degrees of deflection is not excessive for the average wooden flatbed field camera, at full extension.

SaveBears
11-Feb-2009, 13:50
Ebony is a pretty good company to work with, I would get a hold of them with your observations and let them see what they think.

Being a producer of high quality products, they many know of something that would help out.

Eric Leppanen
11-Feb-2009, 14:41
I previously owned several Ebony models (SV45U2, 45SU, SV810U) and still own a RSW45. These wooden cameras will exhibit the deflections that you are seeing, the big question is how significant are they in actual shooting conditions. By pressing on the camera until the standards start to move, you are applying more force than a slight to moderate breeze will. In windier conditions, the cameras will be less stable, but such circumstances will be challenging to any LF camera due to bellows vibration, etc. If these deflections or the degree of expansion/contraction of the ebony wood bothers you, then you can always switch to a metal camera (with its own set of trade offs), but I would suggest trying your Ebony out for awhile before finalizing any conclusions.

The 45SU has a tall front standard, and while it provides a lot of front rise, I found it also more vulnerable to vibration in windy conditions. I personally found this more significant than the deflection in the front and rear standards. However, the non-folding design was convenient and very quick to set up. In photography we all have to pick our trade-offs.

Jeffrey Sipress
11-Feb-2009, 15:06
I don't think you have a problem.

Edwin Beckenbach
11-Feb-2009, 15:27
Thanks for the replies.

When I first used this camera the front standard was very solid and that was how I figured it should be. Then one day I was out in very heavy fog and it froze up completely in the extended position. When I got home I loosened the screws to no avail. So I removed the front standard completely and discovered that the gear was slightly misaligned with the track on the rail and as a result was gripping onto the wood which produced a fine powder of wood-dust and finish that turned into a glue-like substance when mixed with water. I cleaned it up and it's been "loose" ever since.

I'd really like to be able to be able to adjust the rise without refocusing every time but I guess that's not realistic.

Drew Wiley
11-Feb-2009, 15:38
I rarely use my Ebony 4x5 except for longer trips in the high Sierra. Above timberline
you can get plenty of wind. Never had a problem with stability, even with the bellows
racked out for my 360 Fuji A. This seems to be one of the most stable wooden cameras ever made.

Eric James
11-Feb-2009, 15:47
In light of this new information, you should send it your camera to Japan for repair. The photo on my homepage was taken with an Ebony in 40-50 MPH winds.

Gem Singer
11-Feb-2009, 16:11
Edwin,

Now that you described the problem more fully, I realize that your camera is broken.

Don't know what caused the gear to jump the track, but Ebony can fix it and make it like new.

You will need to pay to ship it to them, of course, and they should be willing to make it right at no charge. Just make sure that you contact Ebony first and get a reference number, so that they will be expecting your camera to arrive.

Edwin Beckenbach
11-Feb-2009, 16:33
OK let me clarify this a little more. I'm not sure the camera is "broken" but I can see how my description would give that impression. The gear was only off slightly, about 1/2 mm. So the large majority of the gear does ride on the track and over time with use and finally taking it apart and cleaning out the dust the wood has been cleared from the path of the gear. I think that as the gear ate at the wood the standard loosened slowly and from time to time I tightened the screws to stiffen it up. It was only after I cleaned it that I was unable to tighten it sufficiently as though the rails are just a little too thin vertically. What I don't know is if they really are too thin or my expectations for their dimensional tolerances are too high. I can say, in reference to a previous post, that with a Fujinon 360A attached, stability is the last thing that comes to mind. In fact I don't feel good about it going past 240mm.

Edwin,

Now that you described the problem more fully, I realize that your camera is broken.

Don't know what caused the gear to jump the track, but Ebony can fix it and make it like new.

You will need to pay to ship it to them, of course, and they should be willing to make it right at no charge. Just make sure that you contact Ebony first and get a reference number, so that they will be expecting your camera to arrive.

darr
11-Feb-2009, 17:13
Edwin,

I have owned three Ebony cameras and like Gem stated, contact Ebony for a reference number and shipping info. They will bring your camera back to factory specs and I would guess just for the shipping fees.

Best,
Darr

timparkin
12-Feb-2009, 05:54
The standards on my Ebony 45SU seem to rather loose. I know about adjusting the screws on the bed but in humid weather it will just barely get tight enough and in dry weather it can't be tightened down acceptably at all. I'd like to know if my expectations are properly calibrated, so to speak. Right now with the screws fully tightened, at full extension, both the front and read standards deflect out 1 degree under their own weight. Likewise, if I push on them they will deflect in 1 degree. So there is 2 degrees of play in each standard which feels like quite a lot when I wiggle them around and it amounts to 2 degrees of tilt in neutral position using longer lenses.

I'd appreciate any opinions from other users of this camera on whether this is abnormal
before I contact the manufacturer.

Thanks

I would expect this slight amount of wiggle when the standard isn't locked down but as soon as you apply the lock (i.e. turn the left hand knobs) this should lock the camera completely. The only movement I get is a slight flexing when at full extension but this not wiggle, it's the whole camera flexing slightly (it amounts to about 1mm difference when you measure from the top of the front standard to the top of the back standard when applying a reasonable amount of force - I know this is fairly common in large format cameras and a 'wind kit' is available to mount a locking bar between the top of the standards).

Even when I loosen off the plate screws too much, the standards are still solid when locked down.

Tim

Edwin Beckenbach
12-Feb-2009, 07:41
I would expect this slight amount of wiggle when the standard isn't locked down but as soon as you apply the lock (i.e. turn the left hand knobs) this should lock the camera completely. The only movement I get is a slight flexing when at full extension but this not wiggle, it's the whole camera flexing slightly (it amounts to about 1mm difference when you measure from the top of the front standard to the top of the back standard when applying a reasonable amount of force - I know this is fairly common in large format cameras and a 'wind kit' is available to mount a locking bar between the top of the standards).

Even when I loosen off the plate screws too much, the standards are still solid when locked down.

Tim

Thanks Tim,
That's exactly what I needed to know.