PDA

View Full Version : Hahnemuhle Bamboo 290

aphexafx
11-Feb-2009, 02:20
Hahnemuhle Bamboo - what an interesting paper, I am getting ready to evaluate it for Ultrachrome K3/VM prints in both BW and color. So far I believe that it is acid and lignin free and does not contain any brighteners. This is good because I am looking for another archival paper. I cannot tell if it is actually buffered, however.

I realize that it is slightly warm (yellow direction) and that this will limit its color use, but since I am new to color output, especially on matte papers, I am going to have to figure out how, exactly, the tone will affect color aside from the general rules here.

I don't know if this paper is "trendy" or a new fad, and I do not care. From what I've been able to find on the web it is stable and many are fond of its surface and quality.

My intended color application for this paper is mostly abstract/experimental so I believe I might find some use of it - I expect a lower gamut, that is mostly ok.

Does anyone use this paper, and do they offer any impressions? Before I waste my time with it…

Added: I print mostly at a 12” short dimension (12x12, 12x14, 12x16). I should note that my current mainstay for BW printing is Epson Velvet Fine-Art, which is a Somerset paper with Epson’s own coating, I believe. I trust this paper and love it, and I actually like the way it handles detail (bash me)...and I like to frame behind anti-reflective glass (bash me again), but I am iffy on its color capability. ???

BarryS
11-Feb-2009, 07:14
I've tried some samples (with K3 ink) and I thought it was a nice paper, but didn't see why it should replace my favorite art paper, Moab Entrada Natural. It's a nice substantial paper without OBA's, so it's a bit warm. The gamut is consistent with other good matte papers w/o OBA's--not limited at all. I think it's perfectly fine for color printing, unless you prefer the bleached white look.

nathanm
11-Feb-2009, 10:28
It's also the only paper that you can plant in the ground and grow more when you run low. Bonus! Careful though, it spreads like wildfire.

aphexafx
12-Feb-2009, 02:14
Moab Entrada Natural <- noted, thank you! I am not huge on OBA papers unless the application demands it (cool tones, etc.). Rare for me, so far.

lol, the my-life-is-dedicated-to-being-green folks are all over this stuff... Also mentioned somewhere was a new Hahnemuhle paper based on sugar cane fiber???...yikes.

David Luttmann
12-Feb-2009, 06:29
lol, the my-life-is-dedicated-to-being-green folks are all over this stuff... Also mentioned somewhere was a new Hahnemuhle paper based on sugar cane fiber???...yikes.

SWEET! :rolleyes:

Wallace_Billingham
13-Feb-2009, 12:19
It has become my favorite paper. I have only used it for B&W work however. I use 3rd party carbon inks from MIS that are slightly warm toned and it makes for an awesome combination.

also FWIW wood based papers are also a renewable resouce. Most paper companies farm their pulp trees just like a crop. There are thousands of acres of tree farms around me just for that purpose. It is questionable just how "green" bamboo papers are as lots of rain forest is often cut down in order to make space to plant the bamboo. The real shame is that we can't grow hemp in the USA in order to make paper pulp, but that is a topic for another day

mattpallante
13-Feb-2009, 14:28
It has become my favorite paper. I have only used it for B&W work however. I use 3rd party carbon inks from MIS that are slightly warm toned and it makes for an awesome combination.

also FWIW wood based papers are also a renewable resouce. Most paper companies farm their pulp trees just like a crop. There are thousands of acres of tree farms around me just for that purpose. It is questionable just how "green" bamboo papers are as lots of rain forest is often cut down in order to make space to plant the bamboo. The real shame is that we can't grow hemp in the USA in order to make paper pulp, but that is a topic for another day

"No stems and seeds that you don't need, hemp based paper and bad ass weed.":D

Sorry, could not help myself.........