PDA

View Full Version : ancient Ektachrome E-3 process film

Dan Lidon
10-Feb-2009, 22:26
I've got some sheets of kodak ektachrome for E-3. I don't know anything about the E-3 process and I'm almost positive I wouldn't even be able to buy chemicals for it now. I am wondering what the best way to salvage this film would be. I'm going to experiment in B+W chemicals and see if I can get any sort of image. Anyone out there ever use this stuff or have any ideas for me?

Gene McCluney
10-Feb-2009, 22:55
I have processed E-3 back when it was a current film. The emulsion is very soft, and is likely to come off the film base unless handled very carefully. This film would be from the 1960's...waay too old to produce any worthwhile results, even if you could process it. It will not process in E-6.

Scott Knowles
11-Feb-2009, 20:05
I have some of this film in the frig, about 50 feet in a daylight loader and some shot but unprocessed short rolls (I often loaded 16-20 exposures per roll)l. I also have one half of an old E-3 kit left. I never made the chemicals because some have a very short shelf life, about two weeks. A few years ago the two key chemicals (film and color developers) were still available but I haven't searched since. If you find kits or chemicals, please let me know, and likewise.

Ash
12-Feb-2009, 06:27
I also have one half of an old E-3 kit left. I never made the chemicals because some have a very short shelf life, about two weeks.

Same goes for all "DIY" colour processing kits!

Mark Sampson
12-Feb-2009, 06:50
I went to work (my 1st 'real' job) at a custom lab in late 1977. They still ran E-3 then for a major customer who had a large stock of the film, and made the final E-3 runs in early '78. So that suggests your film is at least 32 years old; it may be fun to play with but don't be disappointed with whatever results you get.

Scott Knowles
12-Feb-2009, 07:09
Ok, doing some homework (Google and pnet archive), I found one lab that indicates they still do old film processing, Rocky Mountain Film Lab (http://www.rockymountainfilm.com/index.html). They don't mention sheet film, but they do mention a turnaround time of 6-12 months due to waiting for a sufficient volume of film. Well, if you've waited 30+ years to send the film to the lab, waiting another year isn't so bad. Now I'll have to dig out the shot (short) rolls and wonder, again, or else get out the kit after shooting the necesary rolls for processing. The worse case scenarios would be some really bad exposures and color.

Scott Knowles
12-Feb-2009, 07:16
Same goes for all "DIY" colour processing kits!

And that is real. I got a wonderful pink roll of film once waiting too long.

seepaert
12-Feb-2009, 07:48
Suppose you make a beautifull picture on this stuff and ruin it with the stock or the chemicals. Reason enough to kill yourself. Throw it in the chemical waste and don't wait to long. This may well be stuff of long before any safety regulations and it might do the job for you. (the killing, that is). :(