PDA

View Full Version : My E-6 processing is looking more magenta

Gene McCluney
9-Feb-2009, 09:32
Last few 50 sheet boxes of 4x5 E-6 are looking more magenta. They are all "in-date".
I run my own processing line, and I mix up fresh chemistry every couple of weeks. Fuji 35mm Provia processed in the same sink-line looks great, no color casts. I know one can adjust the color developer PH to effect color balance, but I am wondering if I need to, considering the Provia looks good? My chemistry is fresh and not exhausted.

Mark Sampson
9-Feb-2009, 11:23
Have you spoken to Kodak about this? They used to have a superb tech support section. Don't know if it still exists but it's worth a try.

Nathan Potter
9-Feb-2009, 12:11
Gene, of course it's always a question of how much more magenta. What's the film that looks magenta, Velvia 100? That's a slight characteristic of that film. The Provia being seemingly OK might be a clue that you had a temperature spike in the developer solution that went undetected during processing.

Also as mentioned in a previous thread, the color temperature (or equivalent thru a filter) during exposure can cause an overall color cast to a chrome. This especially with the Velvia emulsions and I think to a somewhat lesser extent with the Ektachrome film (my experience). Good to run one control sheet of white with a color patch exposed to a consistent color temperature, say direct sun. This can separate the processing variable from the exposure variable. Costs only a couple of extra bucks per process run.

It would be desirable to check the developer pH using a pH meter I suppose but I've never done that since I always use fresh chemistry in drum or drip and drunk processing. I'm guessing that the pH strips don't exhibit enough resolution to use for this purpose.

Nate Potter, Austin TX

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
9-Feb-2009, 12:40
You adjust the blue/yellow balance with the PH. The concentration of the reversal bath controls the magenta/green balance. Try to reduce the concentration of the reversal bath to reduce magenta. If you are using a rotary processor like a JOBO you should mix 30 to 35 ml of concentrate instead of 50 ml to the liter. Films are a little different in their sensitivity to this balance. Fuji less so than Kodak.

Gene McCluney
9-Feb-2009, 12:45
You adjust the blue/yellow balance with the PH. The concentration of the reversal bath controls the magenta/green balance. Try to reduce the concentration of the reversal bath to reduce magenta. If you are using a rotary processor like a JOBO you should mix 30 to 35 ml of concentrate instead of 50 ml to the liter. Films are a little different in their sensitivity to this balance. Fuji less so than Kodak.

Thank you so much. I did not know the reversal bath concentration altered magenta/green balance. I develop in 3.5 gallon stainless steel deep tank, I will just add some water to the reversal bath, to dilute.

Gudmundur Ingolfsson
9-Feb-2009, 14:08
Gene ! An other thing! If you are developing in a tank you should not agitate in the
reversal bath that is the explanation for the higher concentration of the chemicals.
So before you dilute the bath, stop the agitation !

Gene McCluney
9-Feb-2009, 17:24
Gene ! An other thing! If you are developing in a tank you should not agitate in the
reversal bath that is the explanation for the higher concentration of the chemicals.
So before you dilute the bath, stop the agitation !

Thank you again, I will reduce the agitation, however I can say that I am processing my E-6 just exactly the same way I have done it for 20 years now, in the same tanks, with the same timer, etc..but of course,constantly changed-out chemistry. I use Kodak (brand) chemistry. I have always made EPP my "standard" for studio products.