PDA

View Full Version : 200mm-300mm, good bokeh, not too much $

Harley Goldman
7-Feb-2009, 15:36
I would like to start doing more selective focus work and would like a lens with an older look to it. I want to shoot opened up and get a nice look to the out of focus areas. I would like something in a shutter, 200mm-300mm range that is not terribly expensive.

Any suggestions of what to look for or am I asking for too much? I shoot 4x5 and currently have a Fujinon 240mm in that range, a really sharp lens, but I am looking for a different look.

Mark Woods
7-Feb-2009, 15:43
I have a convertible lens for sale on eBay that is S-K 135mm/210mm lens. It'll probably sell for around $100.

Bjorn Nilsson
7-Feb-2009, 16:05
An older Heliar, Tessar or Xenar could do it for you. Especially those from the 1930-40 which are uncoated. Check Ken Lee's work with Heliars and Tessars to see if it's something you like.
The thing about the older versions of the lenses is that they are either mounted in a barrel or an older Compound shutter. Apart from the nice soft sound from the shutter, there are many blades in the aperture which gives a round opening, should you stop down. The post-WWII versions of these lenses are usually single-coated.
I got a Fuji 240A too which is very sharp as you say. I also have both a Heliar and a Xenar 210mm. (I got the Heliar in a barrel mount and later picked up a nice working Xenar 210 in a compound shutter. The Heliar, which is a similar but not the same design, drops right into the shutter.) I havn't got around to testing the lenses side-by-side, but they differ a bit wide open and are very good and sharp when stopped down to f/16 or so. But I didn't get these lenses for that, but for their special personality wide open.

//Björn

Bill_1856
7-Feb-2009, 18:01
Kodak Ektar f:7.7/203mm is probably the best bang for the buck. Uncoated pre-WW2versions were called Anastigmet, not Ektar (otherwise same lens)

Steve Hamley
7-Feb-2009, 18:03
B&L Tessar Ic f:4.5

Cheers, Steve

Kirk Fry
7-Feb-2009, 22:21
10 inch Commercial Ektar would be nice too. Not too much money.
K

Tom Conway
8-Feb-2009, 10:06
The Fuji 250 soft focus would be another option. I use it for tabletop/macro with both natural and studio light. Used wide open the "halo" effect, especially with B & W, is quite nice. Used price is in the range of $300-400.

Peter De Smidt
8-Feb-2009, 10:29
Most of the older lenses have many aperture blades, which can give a very round opening, and there are lot's of great lenses in your range. Ilex paragons, Kodak lenses, process lenses....

PaulRicciardi
8-Feb-2009, 10:32
Kodak Ektar f:7.7/203mm is probably the best bang for the buck. Uncoated pre-WW2versions were called Anastigmet, not Ektar (otherwise same lens)

Another vote for the 203mm Ektar
I shot with one for quite some time, always liked it

Jim Galli
8-Feb-2009, 10:54
To get the look you want you need a minimum of an f4.5 lens. The Kodak Ektar 190mm f4.5 is superb as are the Schneider Xenar's in f4.5. Heliars are superb but may not meet your price requirement. I have a 190 f3.5 Tessar in shutter lost somewhere in the Classifieds here. It never sold. Price was obviously too high. Contact me off line if interest.

Ken Lee
8-Feb-2009, 19:58
Another affordable lens design with lovely blur rendition, is the f/9 APO Nikkor copy lens, which comes in a variety of focal lengths. Needless to say, these lenses are also very sharp.

Here's a sample image made with a 360mm barrel version on 5x7, stopped down just a bit.

http://www.kenleegallery.com/images/forum/f35.jpg
Narcissi

Jon Wilson
8-Feb-2009, 21:30
Another affordable lens design with lovely blur rendition, is the f/9 APO Nikkor copy lens, which comes in a variety of focal lengths. Needless to say, these lenses are also very sharp.

Here's a sample image made with a 360mm barrel version on 5x7, stopped down just a bit.

http://www.kenleegallery.com/images/forum/f35.jpg
Narcissi

Very nice Ken.....you truly do magic with your lens. Furthermore, it also supports the hypothesis that it takes a master like you and Jim Galli to show how to make a lens blossom.
Jon