PDA

View Full Version : 355 Gold Dot Kern Dagor that covers 16X20! Easily!

Jim Galli
6-Feb-2009, 18:37
!!:rolleyes:?? (http://cgi.ebay.com/Schneider-Goerz-Gold-Dot-Dagor-14-355mm-ULF-Lens_W0QQitemZ380102023361QQihZ025QQcategoryZ3323QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem)

I've got a private island to sell in micronesia if you don't buy the GDGD.

Jan Pedersen
6-Feb-2009, 20:34
How much? :D

Jim Galli
6-Feb-2009, 22:07
Under 2K. Click on the rolleyes. I just found it odd that my GD won't even cover my 5X14 but this one will cover 16X20. I suppose when the bellows is about 525mm it would.

Eric James
6-Feb-2009, 22:13
I think he was inquiring about your island.

Oren Grad
6-Feb-2009, 22:18
Will your island cover 16x20?

Jan Pedersen
6-Feb-2009, 22:22
The Kern Gold Dot would be just fine on my 8x10 but if i could get an island for the same money i would think about it. Give me some data and i will Google your Island before i buy the GD.

Jim Galli
6-Feb-2009, 22:58
Dangit. Asleep at the switch while opportunity passes me by again.

neil poulsen
7-Feb-2009, 00:46
I had one for a while. Didn't use it that much, so I sold it on EBay.

I think that Kerry Thalman reported it's image circle as something like 319mm. (I can't be sure about the exact number, though.) I never did use it for 8x10, only 4x5. Very contrasty lens. I had the MC version.

Atul Mohidekar
7-Feb-2009, 08:54
Coincidence within 10 days?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220348020322

// Atul

Jim Galli
7-Feb-2009, 09:04
It's a good thing Henry's puts the big watermark in their pictures :D:D

One time I bought 3 old barrel lenses from Henry's and they shipped them to me packed end to end with the glasses touching :confused:

sanking
7-Feb-2009, 09:26
Jim,

That is odd. I never owned the 355 GDKD but a friend loaned me one for a while and it covered 7X17 just fine, though quite a bit softer on the corners than the 355 G-Claron. That was ten years ago or so I my memory may have betrayed me, but I clearly remember using it on 7X17 for normal landscape work.

However, it definitely will not cover 16X20, in fact, I recall that it vignetted even on 12X20.

Sandy King

Under 2K. Click on the rolleyes. I just found it odd that my GD won't even cover my 5X14 but this one will cover 16X20. I suppose when the bellows is about 525mm it would.

Jim Galli
7-Feb-2009, 09:29
Jim,

That is odd. I never owned the 355 GDKD but a friend loaned me one for a while and it covered 7X17 just fine, though quite a bit softer on the corners than the 355 G-Claron. That was ten years ago or so I my memory may have betrayed me, but I clearly remember using it on 7X17 for normal landscape work.

However, it definitely will not cover 16X20, in fact, I recall that it vignetted even on 12X20.

Sandy King

It covered the 5X14 but I couldn't get the corners sharp. I consider it an 8X10 lens. 16X20 is just so outrageous I couldn't resist a word to the wise.

Tri Tran
7-Feb-2009, 11:20
It covered the 5X14 but I couldn't get the corners sharp. I consider it an 8X10 lens. 16X20 is just so outrageous I couldn't resist a word to the wise.

Hi Jim,
You are holding a real gem in your hand ...a blue dot which cover 12x20 and beyond. The GDKD coverage is not even close to the blue dot. Trigor is my favorite lens and corner to corner always sharp . The Trigor has a special look compare to 355G not the sharpness.

E. von Hoegh
7-Feb-2009, 13:08
710mm IC?????
Nuts! Mine must be defective!

Paul Ewins
7-Feb-2009, 14:30
I wonder if that 710mm is at 1:1

Don Hutton
7-Feb-2009, 14:36
I wonder if that 710mm is at 1:1I don't think it will even do 750mm at 1:1...

Allen in Montreal
8-Feb-2009, 13:23

One time I bought 3 old barrel lenses from Henry's and they shipped them to me packed end to end with the glasses touching :confused:

I made them an offer on a Sinar Shutter they had listed that was not selling,
they wrote me and said sure, it is up on evil bay with a buy it now at the price of my offer, except it took them a few days to write me after they posted it and the shutter was long gone by the time they wrote to tell me! :mad:

The seller of the GD always starts very high, and most often ends up coming down after many re-lists without any action.

CP Goerz
8-Feb-2009, 13:37
Yeah, a 14" Gold Dot Schneider Dagor has the smallest circle of any 14" dagor, no way this lens cover 16x20 except at 1:1. and why would you use a lens of that design for 1:1 anyway?

Jim Galli
8-Feb-2009, 15:08
Yeah, a 14" Gold Dot Schneider Dagor has the smallest circle of any 14" dagor, no way this lens cover 16x20 except at 1:1. and why would you use a lens of that design for 1:1 anyway?

Actually at 1:1 it would be up in the 900mm world. If you're going to lie, why not take it to the limit. My next ad will say 910mm image* circle covers 16X20 with movements blah blah blah. *@1:1

CP Goerz
9-Feb-2009, 01:13
Maybe I'm missing something here but to cover 16x20 you need about 600mm of circle...right?

Drew Wiley
10-Feb-2009, 10:06
16X20? NO WAY! These are excellent lenses but coverage is a little tight even on 8x10
if you're doing any significant rise or front tilt/swing. I've owned several of them.

Jim Galli
10-Feb-2009, 10:24
Maybe I'm missing something here but to cover 16x20 you need about 600mm of circle...right?

I don't think you've missed a thing. The 355 GD covers perhaps 400mm well. I just thought the sellers claims should be disputed perhaps. It gets old. Now the idiot that claimed his brass no name telephoto attachment piece was equal to a Bergheim yesterday, him I reported to Ebay.Aus. Enough is enough.

Dan Fromm
10-Feb-2009, 14:10
Jim, if you're going to go after people here's another flagrant offense http://cgi.ebay.com/Schneider-G-Claron-150mm-F9-W-A-Lens-Boxed-4x5-to-8x10_W0QQitemZ280310338885QQihZ018QQcategoryZ3323QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem by another flagrant offender.

Cheers,

Dan

Eric James
10-Feb-2009, 14:16
That's the same seller. Just curious - what's wrong with the representation?

Jim Galli
10-Feb-2009, 14:26
That's the same seller. Just curious - what's wrong with the representation?

You are bidding on a Schneider G-Claron 150mm F9 W.A. Lens - 4x5, 5x7 & 8x10

This legendary modern lens easily rivals wide angle classics like the F18 Protar and Goerz Dagor for sheer covering power and sharpness. In excess of 90 degrees of coverage, these are both razor sharp performers, and are very small and light, making them ideal for portable field cameras such as the Deardorff, Century Universal and Kodak Masterview.

This tiny lens just cover 8x10, and affords generous movements on smaller formats. I have shot extensively with the 240mm version of this. It was by far the sharpest lens I have ever used, with fabulous tonality and in my case, great color saturation. I'm sure it will knock your black and white socks off (and if you're a B&W photog, you probably wear mismatched black and white socks too!).

It covers 82 degrees (Schneider only claimed 68 degrees because their original target was photo-reproduction). It is usable on 5X7 which is nice. There is no way in hell it covers 8X10 nor comparable in coverage to Protar V's 110 degrees. This is just bullshit. Buyers beware. Your socks will be brown and smelly.

Chuck Pere
10-Feb-2009, 16:34
From the box.

Drew Wiley
10-Feb-2009, 17:31
Easily covers 8x10 stopped down. FACT. Do it all the time. BUT less coverage than a
355 G-Claron or even 360 Fuji-A. In other words, no extreme movements on 8X10,
which is certainly the largest realistic format for this lens.

Don Hutton
10-Feb-2009, 17:58
Even worse, that "395mm image circle" at f45 claimed by Schneider on the box of that GDKD includes about 30mm of mush...

"wideangleman" also has a regular 210mm G claron which he claims is a 210mm WA G Claron - that is a completely different lens too....

Claude Sapp
10-Feb-2009, 18:05
For the record, I had a really bad eBay transaction with 'wideangleman'. I was the seller on an inexpensive barrel lens and he refused to pay Canadian duties and taxes to Fedex to the tune of about $65 and Fedex stuck my account with the charges and still delivered the items. Emails from wideangleman went unanswered. I stay away from him, and these wild claims seem consistent with his character.

Oren Grad
10-Feb-2009, 19:55
"wideangleman" also has a regular 210mm G claron which he claims is a 210mm WA G Claron - that is a completely different lens too....

He calls it a "Schneider G-Claron 210mm F9 W.A. Lens". But then he's also selling a 150 G-Claron and calling it a "W.A. Lens" too. AFAIK, there wasn't a 150 G-Claron WA. I don't know whether this is just puffery to make the coverage sound wider than it is or a conscious attempt to invoke the G-Claron WA series, but either way it's pretty greasy.

I bought an old lens from this seller once. The condition description was optimistic - the lens came with a substantial area of separation on the periphery, rather more than I had expected. It was still usable, fortunately. But I've not bought anything more from him.

eddie
10-Feb-2009, 20:34
how does he stay in business with the prices, descriptions and conditions? why no bad feedback?

Eric James
10-Feb-2009, 20:40
Thanks for the explanation. Typical (i.e. far too common) eBay story - fancy ad, nearly 100% feedback, and thick with BS. Sad.

Henry Suryo
10-Feb-2009, 20:46
My experience with several GDKD, the MC and single coated versions, is consistent with everyone here. It really is an 8x10 lens, a pretty sweet one at that, but when I started doing 11x14 and 7x17, though it did cover focused nearer than infinity, I was not able to get the corners sharp stopped down. That's when I sold it and got a F7.7 instead. I was very pleased with the overall quality of the GDKD on the 8x10, but the contrast of the MC version can be a little harsh in certain situations for black and white work. It is no doubt still a very desirable cult lens being the last of the line and pricewise, the BIN is not unreasonable for it, just his inflated specs in this particular case. The seller has had some very desirable Dagors in the past, including the 240 F9 Zeiss Dagors, earlier Gold Dots, longer F7.7 ones, he is certainly familiar with the Dagor line, though perhaps not from a user stand point.

That said, my one experience with him was fair I thought, I bought a very clean, coated late model Apo Skopar 60cm F9 from him which IIRC was described accurately. The only thing was I think I had gotten a heck of a deal, and he offered to buy it back from me if I wanted to part with it in the future before I even got the lens. I guess there's nothing really wrong with this, and the deal followed through smoothly.

Allen in Montreal
10-Feb-2009, 21:26
how does he stay in business with the prices, descriptions and conditions? why no bad feedback?

I damaged a tie on a job, a really nice tie, I jumped on E bay and bought a Canali to replace it. A Canali here in MTL is a $170.00 tie, I found on like it and bought it at 69.00. It was a very bad fake, I wrote E bay, Paypal, they could care a less.
I tried to get my cash back, no way, I left negative feedback, big deal she has sold over 700 fake ties, continues to thrive on E bay, and E bay does not care because she pays her fees!!

Most people are afraid to give negative feedback, fear of having the gesture retuned in kind! They just eat their lumps and move on. being US citizens, you have another route, I am told you can complain to the solicitor general and have mail fraud charges brought against people like that, more victims of E bay fraud should go that route.

Mark Sampson
11-Feb-2009, 07:10
Allen- was it the client's tie that you damaged? Or was it the subject of the job?

Allen in Montreal
12-Feb-2009, 06:45
Allen- was it the client's tie that you damaged? Or was it the subject of the job?

:mad:

Don't ask, long story!

But the point is, she has sold over 700 fake ties on the evil and has a 98 percent positive feedback!!

Larry Menzin
12-Feb-2009, 09:13
Ebay gets their fees from the seller so they cater to and protect sellers. There is a fig leaf that they use to protect buyers but crooks remain out there as long as they pay their fees.

CP Goerz
12-Feb-2009, 11:48
Sellers aren't allowed to leave negative feedback, or even neutral for that matter anymore.

Jim Galli
12-Feb-2009, 12:25
Ebay gets their fees from the seller so they cater to and protect sellers. There is a fig leaf that they use to protect buyers but crooks remain out there as long as they pay their fees.

Sellers aren't allowed to leave negative feedback, or even neutral for that matter anymore.

Ebay has become just about the most seller unfriendly place on earth. They've crammed their stupid new "my ebay" page down our throats even though there are quite literally 10's of thousands of complaints from long standing users. The whole place is getting run into the ground by the current knuckle head in charge, donna the hoe or something like that. I'm going on about a year since I've sold anything there. If I can't price it to sell right here or at APUG, I keep it. Multiply that statement time about 100,000 and you have Ebay at the moment. They are trying to prove that someone can be even stupider and more hard headed about knowing they are right than Eastman Kodak. I wouldn't live downwind from Ebay.

Oh, BTW if you hate the new "my" page, just change the .com to .ca. Canadian Ebay hasn't changed yet and you can have your old page for a while yet.

Allen in Montreal
12-Feb-2009, 14:07
Ebay has become just about the most seller unfriendly place on earth...........

Jim, I think we are safe to say,

Ebay has become just about the most unfriendly place on earth!

What is the old saying.....

All good things must come to an end. While Evil is far from ending just yet, the pleasantries of the joint are long gone.

aduncanson
12-Feb-2009, 14:38
I bought a 120mm Angulon from wideangleman. I specifically asked him about the mounting into a copal shutter. He had only great things to say about the mounting job and failed to point out that the aperture scale had never been updated from its original f/4.5 max marking.

Allen in Montreal
12-Feb-2009, 14:53
The glory of the game.
He will defend himself by stating you failed to ask about the aperture scales and only the heavenly mounting job was discussed, buy should have asked about the scales! :mad:

Sounds like the guy I bought my 8x10 from! At least that clown is no longer a registered as an e bay seller