PDA

View Full Version : A Burning Question

venchka
6-Feb-2009, 09:55
Please help with some information please.

Azo. Is it DOP? Or POP?

Thanks!

Brian Ellis
6-Feb-2009, 10:10
I've never heard the term DOP ("developing out paper" maybe?) but Azo isn't POP (printing out paper).

Vaughn
6-Feb-2009, 10:10
Dop

venchka
6-Feb-2009, 10:25
Sorry for the confusion.

DOP: Good old fashioned slosh in developer paper.

Thanks for clearing up this thorny question.

Mark Sampson
6-Feb-2009, 10:26
Recently I read that the last POP, Centennial from Chicago Albumen works, has been discontinued (it will no longer be coated by Harman/Ilford). Kodak Studio Proof has been gone since 1990? or so.

Gem Singer
6-Feb-2009, 10:48
The original AZO was plain ordinary single weight graded paper for contact printing. We used 100 sheet boxes of it for making proof prints in the 1950's.

Kodak discontinued producing it. However thanks to Michael and Paula, it has been resurrected and is now a legend in it's own time.

Vaughn
6-Feb-2009, 12:39
Sorry for the confusion.

DOP: Good old fashioned slosh in developer paper.

Thanks for clearing up this thorny question.

If you want to generate several pages of discussion, just ask what is the "best" developer for Azo!

Vaughn

venchka
6-Feb-2009, 12:46
Nope. No way. You can't prove a thing. I was never here.

sanking
6-Feb-2009, 13:49
AZO is a DOP (developing out paper), not a POP (printing out paper). The term DOP was rather common many decades ago when there were quite a number of both types of paper on the market. Today virtually all papers are DOP so the term is not needed.

BTW, many of the alternative printing processes are POP to varying degrees. Salted paper is POP, and many of the iron sensitive processes (vandyke, kallitype and pt./pd. may be POP or DOP depending on chemistry and humidity.

One of the characteristics of POP is that they are self masking, i.e. the image begins first in the shadows and as it deepens it blocks the light and prevent further development in the shadows, while it continues in the mid-tones and highlights. This allows one to prevent negatives of different contrast and still have a full range of tones from shadows to highlights. However, if the contrast mis-match is too great the shadows will loses contrast and look a bit soft.

Sandy King

Ralph Barker
6-Feb-2009, 18:46
In the old days, we did lots of SOR images of our hands. (Spit On Rock)

Chauncey Walden
6-Feb-2009, 19:01
Ralph, that is definitely a New Mexico joke - and a chromogenic one at that!

Steven Barall
7-Feb-2009, 08:39
For burning questions you should see a urologist.

sanking
7-Feb-2009, 09:36
Is it just me? I don't have a clue as to the meaning of Ralph's comment, and your response? You guys must be from another planet, which fits New Mexico OK I guess.

Does this have anything to do with DOP and POP?

Sandy King

Ralph, that is definitely a New Mexico joke - and a chromogenic one at that!