PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Film, any tricks?

Hollis
5-Feb-2009, 00:05
I am at a point where I am in need of cutting some larger film down to size and I have not done this before so was wondering if there were any tricks/tips out there? I am planning on cutting down some 8x20 efke into 8x15 sheets and then I guess salvaging 2 4x5's from the remainder.

I know that some say using night vision goggles is a great way to go, and Im sure it is, I just do not own any. So, what is the easiest and most accurate way to do this? Do you set up a jig of sorts and go from there or what?

H.

Gene McCluney
5-Feb-2009, 02:51
Yes, you use a "jig". You tape down some guides to your paper cutter which you run the film up to in the dark. Be aware that sheet film is actually slightly undersize for the rated size, so measure a piece of factory cut film in order to set your guides. You will in all probability have to make 2 cuts for each sheet. The easiest way to do this is to do all of one cut, put the film in a paper/film safe or back into the film box, and reset your taped down guide for the next cut. It is a good idea to wear lint-free cotton lab gloves, as you will be handling the film a bit, and you don't want fingerprints. I make guides from strips of photo mount board, which I tape down with masking tape to the paper cutter bed.

Jim Galli
5-Feb-2009, 07:59
Here (http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/10481-bulk-lf-film-cutting-loading-aerial-roll-film.html) is a page I wrote on APUG back in 2004. I haven't changed anything. Hope that helps.

Alan Davenport
5-Feb-2009, 09:46
Tip: Know where your fingers are, so you keep all the tips you already have...

Hollis
5-Feb-2009, 16:57
right on, sounds good. Do you have to cut it sheet by sheet or can you do it in batches of say 5 or 10 or 20 to speed it up? If you do this will it buckle when you cut it and screw things up?

Jim Galli
5-Feb-2009, 17:11
I can only do 1 at a time without getting things boogered. Boogers in the dark are bad, very bad.

Glenn Thoreson
5-Feb-2009, 17:42
Although I try not to do this, when I have to I use a guillotine paper cutter and a guide bar that I made. The bar has holes drilled in it for two pins, which fit corresponding holes in the cutter bed, which I drilled to match actual film sizes. I can change the bar setting in the dark. I cover the bed with a clean sheet of white paper to prevent scratches that WILL happen even though the bed has been polished and waxed. One sheet at a time. It's a pain, as far as I'm concerned, but 5" off the end should be a piece of cake. Good luck. :D

Jim Galli
5-Feb-2009, 18:02
I never get scratches on the slippery plastic bed, but I do get lint, dust, moustache hairs, dead skin, just plain dirt, and anything else Murphy can throw in there.

Diane Maher
9-Feb-2009, 08:28
Can you guys post images of these 'jigs' you've come up with? I need to cut some 12x20 color film to 5x12 and maybe some 11x14 IR down to 5x12. What do you do for notches on the sheets which don't have the notches as a result of the original being trimmed down? Either that, or see if I can find some cameras to fit the film. eek!

Gene McCluney
10-Feb-2009, 23:34
What do you do for notches on the sheets which don't have the notches as a result of the original being trimmed down? Either that, or see if I can find some cameras to fit the film. eek!

You remember which side is up. You cut, emulsion side up, using the notch on the original factory cut to index the emulsion side, then you just never turn the sheets over, and they will be emulsion side up.

Those that cut down large roll film (aerial films) don't have any notches, and have to remember whether the emulsion is inside or outside the rolled up film.