PDA

View Full Version : Favor - Toyo 45AX User Manual

Steve H
4-Feb-2009, 19:25
Gents,
Can someone point me to where I can find a copy of the Toyo user's manual online ? I just got my 45AX - which for the most part is self-explanatory; but there are two levers which I cannot figure out what their function is....:confused:

Thanks !
Steve

Kuzano
4-Feb-2009, 19:46
Don't have the manual, but if it's like the AII, one lever on the side of the back is to spring the groundglass back to slide the film holder in. Kind of like a one arm bail. This eases insertion of film without messing up the focus.

Merg Ross
4-Feb-2009, 21:15
Excellent camera. Which levers are you referring to?

Steve H
5-Feb-2009, 02:42
Merg,
Well I think I might have it figured out. There are two spring-loaded levers on the front standard which you have to depress to get some backward (negative) tilt. There are two 'click' type of levers on the rear body which you need to move to do the same for the rear tilt.
The last question I do have - for the front swing the camera has a lever in the front standard to lock it in place. Does it make a difference if I move the lever to lock to the left or to the right ? It seems that it doesn't....Either direction will clamp it down.

I can say that it is quite a but different than my Sinar F2 - but maybe not in a bad way. The nice thing about the F2 is the calculators on the camera which allowed me to 'double check' my focus to make sure I was right. I think it was very helpful to have that camera first; as now I will be more confident in the amount of movements I initially setup the camera with.

Thanks again,
Steve

Merg Ross
5-Feb-2009, 12:02
Merg,
Well I think I might have it figured out. There are two spring-loaded levers on the front standard which you have to depress to get some backward (negative) tilt. There are two 'click' type of levers on the rear body which you need to move to do the same for the rear tilt.
The last question I do have - for the front swing the camera has a lever in the front standard to lock it in place. Does it make a difference if I move the lever to lock to the left or to the right ? It seems that it doesn't....Either direction will clamp it down.

I can say that it is quite a but different than my Sinar F2 - but maybe not in a bad way. The nice thing about the F2 is the calculators on the camera which allowed me to 'double check' my focus to make sure I was right. I think it was very helpful to have that camera first; as now I will be more confident in the amount of movements I initially setup the camera with.

Thanks again,
Steve

Hi Steve,

I think you have it figured out. Yes, the front lever that you mention will lock in either direction.

You may know this, but when you open the camera, raise the front square frame (lens support) so that the red dot coincides with the top edge of the front standard support.

This was my first field camera after years of monorails. I really like it, and all of those knobs and levers will become intuitive after a short while. Oh, I assume that you have discovered the rear extension, released by the two locking knobs on the bed.

If you have any questions, I will try to help.

Merg Ross
5-Feb-2009, 12:17
Don't have the manual, but if it's like the AII, one lever on the side of the back is to spring the groundglass back to slide the film holder in. Kind of like a one arm bail. This eases insertion of film without messing up the focus.

The AX does not have the bail arm found on the AII. Unfortunately, the AX manual depicts the AII throughout, which might cause confusion. I assume the only differences between the two models concern the revolving back.

Ralph Barker
5-Feb-2009, 17:07
The AX does not have the bail arm found on the AII. Unfortunately, the AX manual depicts the AII throughout, which might cause confusion. I assume the only differences between the two models concern the revolving back.

I believe that is the case. My 45AX came standard with the reversing back (no "bail" lever). But, the 45AII comes with the revolving back (which does have the "bail" lever), as does the 45C (monorail) I also have. I know of no other differences between the AX and the AII (except for the price ;) ). The backs are, of course, interchangeable.

Steve H
6-Feb-2009, 08:38
Gents,
Thanks again for all of your help. I will look for the red dot this evening; I've just been lifting up the lensboard support until the front standard rises freely...Didn't know there was a mark.
Well I guess now I know how to use it - time to stop making excuses and go burn some silver !

Thanks again,
Steve

Don Wilkes
6-Feb-2009, 13:27
Steve: If you drop a line to Toyo, they will tell you how you can purchase a user's manual. I believe in North America, it comes through Mamiya America Corporation. I did this when I got mine, and as I recall it wasn't at all expensive.
http://www.toyoview.com/AskToyo/toyo_orderbklts.html

Cheers,
\donw