PDA

View Full Version : Bolex viewfinder on a Speed Graphic

jaimeb82
4-Feb-2009, 13:26
My first MF camera is on the mail, Graflex Speed Graphic with Carl Zeiss 13,5cm 4.5.

Can I use a Bolex H 16 Octameter Viewfinder in a Speed Graphic 4x5 camera?

I came across a Bolex H16 Octameter viewfinder that covers 8 focal distances? from 16 to 150. Can I use this on a speed graphic or this is just for the Bolex film cameras? I am asking because the guy is local and the price is $20

thanks !

Archphoto
4-Feb-2009, 13:33
You will have to do a bit of recalculation but otherwise: buy !

I use the Linhoff viewfinder for dertermining the point where to put the camera and which lens to use.

So $20,- ???? What are you waiting for ?

Peter

Robert A. Zeichner
4-Feb-2009, 13:37
My first MF camera is on the mail, Graflex Speed Graphic with Carl Zeiss 13,5cm 4.5.

Can I use a Bolex H 16 Octameter Viewfinder in a Speed Graphic 4x5 camera?

I came across a Bolex H16 Octameter viewfinder that covers 8 focal distances? from 16 to 150. Can I use this on a speed graphic or this is just for the Bolex film cameras? I am asking because the guy is local and the price is $20

thanks !

The Octameter was designed to be mounted on the side of Bolex H16 cameras in such a position as to avoid vertical paralax problems. The horizontal paralax is corrected for by adjusting the distance wheel near the eyepiece, which moves the rear of the viewer closer in or futher out from the camera body. As far as its use for a 4x5 camera, understand that you would have to convert the indicated focal length to the equivalent in 4x5 and there would also be a slight difference in the aspect ratio as well. Given the smallish size of the image when looking through one of these, I would probably not bother adding the weight to your load and just carry a viewing card with knotted string attached to simulate the field of view at various focal lengths.

Sevo
4-Feb-2009, 14:14
Given the smallish size of the image when looking through one of these,

Yup. If that is the telescope shaped Bolex finder I am familiar with, it has a smallish image to start with even at the wide end, and flips in masks for the other lengths - to very tiny indeed at the far end. Just about acceptable for the intended purpose (as a secondary finder for framing in adverse conditions where you cannot use the reflex finder while filming, because light entering from the eyepiece might fog the film), but not good enough for composition.

Sevo

jaimeb82
4-Feb-2009, 14:58
Ok, a lot to learn about viewfinders and how they work. I understand is not a good viewfinder for my yet to come home Speed Graphic LF 4x5.

Gene McCluney
5-Feb-2009, 03:34
Ok, a lot to learn about viewfinders and how they work. I understand is not a good viewfinder for my yet to come home Speed Graphic LF 4x5.

Why not just try to source a "real" Graflex viewfinder from a salvage camera? Or better still, use ground-glass focusing built-into the camera, or use the wire-frame sportsfinder that these cameras have. Most graflex cameras have many ways to compose a shot. I always use the ground-glass, myself.