PDA

View Full Version : Lensboards: is the plastic thing in the back necessary?

dh003i
4-Feb-2009, 09:14
I have a Linhof Kardan Supercolor camera with lensboards, and I am asking a local metal working company (Miller Metal) to create some more lens boards for me for copal #0 (these are $165 online).

See pictures from eBay posting # 250355912254. (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=250355912254#ebayphotohosting) The second picture shows what I'm talking about.

This is not really necessary for the lensboard to stay secure to the camera, from what I can tell (the clamps do that). Maybe it's to prevent light from getting in? Is it necessary to have it with the inner dimensions exactly like that, and being raised then recessed?

Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Joe Forks
4-Feb-2009, 09:26
How about a Kardan to Technika adapter? That will open new doors for you :)

Bjorn Nilsson
4-Feb-2009, 09:35
Yes, that is a stray light prevention baffle. If you go ahead with your project, it can be made from "any" material, e.g. a couple of layers of black satin. Just something to block any light.
But Joe gives you the best of advices, a Technika lensboard adapter. The Tech. boards are 1/3 of the size and the most common lensboard type on the market. I use a similar adapter for my Sinar (where the lensboards are only slightly smaller than yours.)

//Björn

dh003i
4-Feb-2009, 10:02
I looked at the adapters, but they are also very expensive ($132).

Miller Metal can do this for me for $20 per lensboard for just the metal part of the lensboard!

Thanks for the black satin idea Bjorn, I will use that.

Nick_3536
4-Feb-2009, 10:06
Don't the usual suspect have any used boards in stock? KEH,Mpex. Used boards are a fraction of new and it's not like they stop working.

The smaller Linhofs are great for small [#0,#1] lenses but if you ever get a big #3 mounted lens the bigger boards are a plus.

Frank Petronio
4-Feb-2009, 10:51
ditto

dh003i
4-Feb-2009, 10:54
Nick,

Right now, there aren't any lensboards for the Linhof Kardan Supercolor (copal #0 or any other #) from KEH or Mpex.

From talking with Frank, he says that the Linhof Kardan Supercolor isn't as popular as other 4x5's such as the Sinar, so some things are difficult to find for it.

For $20, I think I'll go with the local metal shop making it! :-)

seawolf66
4-Feb-2009, 11:00
Have your lens boards made to the thinist part of the lens board and then glue some velvet cloth to the back and as you mount it it will block of the light : Easy fix:

John Schneider
4-Feb-2009, 12:41
Go ahead and get an adapter board. You can get a genuine Linhof one off eBay for substantially less (there's one ending this afternoon); then you can use any of the Linhof TK/Wista/Toyo/Nikon boards, avail. used for ~$15 apiece if you look around.

dh003i
4-Feb-2009, 15:03
I don't see any adapters that fit the Linhof Kardan for less than $132 (a Linhof Kardan board with adapter slot for Technika).

John Schneider
4-Feb-2009, 15:47
Check the completed auctions (you missed it: $36 for gen-u-wine Linhof Kardan-TK adapter board).

Bob Salomon
4-Feb-2009, 16:48
I don't see any adapters that fit the Linhof Kardan for less than $132 (a Linhof Kardan board with adapter slot for Technika).

And that one isn't a Linhof made adapter board. It is a 3rd party board. The one from the UK that ended today was the genuine Linhof Adapter board for flat Technika boards.

dh003i
4-Feb-2009, 18:39
And that one isn't a Linhof made adapter board. It is a 3rd party board. The one from the UK that ended today was the genuine Linhof Adapter board for flat Technika boards.

I dunno, I thought I had better eBay skills than this, but I can't find that one (even in ended auctions) for the life of me.

I didn't really have time to look for it during the day, was busy at work.

John Schneider
4-Feb-2009, 23:57
Genuine Linhof, auction 250364118370 (should have bid on it myself, for a spare).

dh003i
5-Feb-2009, 08:23
Genuine Linhof, auction 250364118370 (should have bid on it myself, for a spare).

Ahh, thank you. I feel better seeing it, as it wasn't one I needed. It doesn't specify the copal #, but I suspect it is a copal #3, or #2 at least, and the largest I need is a #1 (which I have a spare of).

Bob Salomon
5-Feb-2009, 09:33
Ahh, thank you. I feel better seeing it, as it wasn't one I needed. It doesn't specify the copal #, but I suspect it is a copal #3, or #2 at least, and the largest I need is a #1 (which I have a spare of).

The adapter boards accept Technika lensboards. You would then need either a Technika 45 board with a pilot hole (001013) or the Technika board with a 1 hole (001026) or the Technika board with a 0 hole (001143) and have someone mill it out for the 2 hole. The 001087 adapter board accepts all Technika 45 flat boards. The 001093 accepts Technika 45 recessed boards.