PDA

View Full Version : Victoria / Van Isle Large Format Users' Group PRINT EXCHANGE!

walter23
3-Feb-2009, 00:45
Hello,

Just a note that we're trying to organize a print exchange amongst south Vancouver Island / Victoria LF photographers. The tentative date will be Feb 21st (though this is not set in stone); the idea is simply to print a single photo (or rummage through the files for a nice one you've already made) and then we will exchange them in sort of a random gift-exchange style (drawing names). Any style of printing, colour, B&W, inkjet, traditional silver, alternative processes, etc, are welcome. Prints can be matted or unmatted, mounted or not, but expensive framing, etc, is wholly unnecessary.

The date is not firm, but the 21st is probably a good day.

We'll meet at the Canoe Club in the afternoon.

If you're interested drop me a PM, or email me: walter231@gmail.com

Alternatively you can email the group - victoria-large-format-user-group@googlegroups.com

You can sign up here for the mailing list, if you haven't already.
http://groups.google.com/group/victoria-large-format-user-group?lnk=srg

BTW, although we're linked by LF photography, I suppose for the purposes of this exchange other formats are acceptable! I don't see any need to bog this down with rules and regulations. LF images would probably be preferable and somewhat adherent the theme, but if you've got something else really fantastic that you're dying to exchange, don't be inhibited.

walter23
3-Feb-2009, 13:29
It looks like the 21st is the best for most people.

I'm taking an informal poll as to what time works best. Let me know if you have any preference (lunch, afternoon, late afternoon, etc) and I'll try to get back to everyone with a finalized time that avoids time conflicts and meets preferences best.

Otherwise we'll say 2pm :)

walter23
16-Feb-2009, 18:45
For those interested:

Anyone who wants to join us for lunch can meet at noon at the Canoe Club, this Saturday. If you have other plans and want to drop in later, come by around 1 and we can do the print exchange afterwards.

directions! (http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=pandora+and+douglas&daddr=harbour+canoe+club+restaurant&hl=en&geocode=&mra=ls&sll=48.429051,-123.369491&sspn=0.004962,0.009538&ie=UTF8&ll=48.428837,-123.367463&spn=0.004962,0.009538&t=h&z=17)

Cheers,
Walter

walter23
21-Feb-2009, 16:13
Thanks everyone for the good show; the prints that were brought in were very nice.

Cheers
Walter

Don Wilkes
21-Feb-2009, 17:55
Many thanks for organizing this, Walter! It was great to meet up with everyone, and the print exchange was terrific. I'll try to attach a snapshot of the participants (sans moi, of course). Clockwise from bottom left, are: Walter, Jim, Dave, Bruce, and Paul.

Maybe by next time, I'll have fired up the wet darkroom once again—I feel inspired!

Cheers,
\donw

Bruce Pollock
21-Feb-2009, 18:56
It was great to meet everyone and I love my print (thanks, Dave) and I think we shold do it again real soon.

Dave Aharonian
21-Feb-2009, 21:44
Jeez, now there's a motley crew! Thanks for organizing this Walter - I'm looking forward to doing it again.

Annie M.
22-Feb-2009, 07:37
My goodness... coats neatly hung on the post... perfectly aligned S&P... sleeves with ironed creases... two little gerberas politely pouting in their litte vases.

Oh... this group is in need of some Annie energy big time... : )

If you gentlemen wish to add some chaos to the mix and want to have the next meet some place like ESP or the pools at Frew....I'm in.

walter23
22-Feb-2009, 13:58
My goodness... coats neatly hung on the post... perfectly aligned S&P... sleeves with ironed creases... two little gerberas politely pouting in their litte vases.

If you gentlemen wish to add some chaos to the mix and want to have the next meet some place like ESP or the pools at Frew....I'm in.

Hehe - what did you expect, Sex Pistols t-shirts and a two-four of Extra Old Stock? ;)

What's ESP, and what are the pools at Frew?

You should get in touch! The easiest way is just to get on the mailing list:

http://groups.google.com/group/victoria-large-format-user-group

Annie M.
22-Feb-2009, 14:35
Hehe - what did you expect, Sex Pistols t-shirts and a two-four of Extra Old Stock? ;)

... a girl can dream can't she?

walter23
22-Feb-2009, 22:26
Now you've piqued my curiosity. What were you going to show?

Annie M.
23-Feb-2009, 08:09
My photographic work... couldn't afford to frame... so that is on hold for a bit.

Don Wilkes
23-Feb-2009, 16:18
Annie, you should definitely come to our next meet-up! Last Saturday wasn't nearly as serious as the looks on everyone's faces in that snapshot <g>. And none of our prints were framed, either -- that was intentional. Some were matted, and some were not.

Cheers,
\donw

Andrew O'Neill
23-Feb-2009, 23:26
Can Lower Mainlanders attend a gathering sometimes? I lived in Victoria for about 5 years...

walter23
23-Feb-2009, 23:46
Last Saturday wasn't nearly as serious as the looks on everyone's faces in that snapshot <g>.

I don't have any idea of what to do with myself when a camera is pointed at me. My insticts are torn between stiffening up & looking serious, or bugging out my eyes and going "wakka-wakka-wakka!" I usually default to the former on account of introversion.

walter23
23-Feb-2009, 23:47
Can Lower Mainlanders attend a gathering sometimes? I lived in Victoria for about 5 years...

I can't see any good reason why not.

Bruce Pollock
24-Feb-2009, 18:41
I don't have any idea of what to do with myself when a camera is pointed at me.

Yeah - don't you just hate damned photographers?

Andrew O'Neill
24-Feb-2009, 22:47
There are so many great places to shoot on that island. I wish I was still living there. I hate it here. People are so friggin' cold.

walter23
25-Feb-2009, 00:12
There are so many great places to shoot on that island. I wish I was still living there. I hate it here. People are so friggin' cold.

People on the island have their idiosyncrasies too - for example everybody seems to wear a reflective yellow safety vest and about a thousand blinky red lights just to go catch the bus somewhere ;)

I have to admit my dog has started wearing a flashy LED collar on account of the peer pressure. (Hey, it helps me find her when she's running around off leash in the dark).

venchka
26-Feb-2009, 13:50
I spent 2 months in Nanaimo one night. :D May I be included if I'm ever in the neighborhood again? Y'all are most welcome to join us if you're ever in Texas!

walter23
26-Feb-2009, 15:03
Closest I've ever been to Texas was Arkansas (well, okay, and Mexico).

Wait, Houston is in Texas. I guess I have been there (but only in the airport). They have a tasty texmex place in the foodcourt (papa sitas or something like that). Nothing like a belly full of cheese & beans to make your flight pleasant.

Anyway you're welcome anytime you're in town ;)

venchka
26-Feb-2009, 15:07
Thanks Walter.

I really did live in Nanaimo back in '93.

walter23
26-Feb-2009, 15:52
Thanks Walter.

I really did live in Nanaimo back in '93.

Well, if you ever find yourself spending a night in Victoria for 2 months let us know ;)

sly
6-Apr-2009, 03:04

Gee guys. I'm a new member from Nanaimo, but even I can figure out ESP = East Sooke Park and Frew = Port Renfrew.

Frew's too far for me, though it's been a long time since I've been on the beach there and I ought to get back. ESP might be doable - such a wonderful place. I've not been there since I succumbed to the LF disease.

I'll definately want to know if you ever get together this side of the Malahat. Maple Bay? Genoa Bay? Chemainus?

sanking
6-Apr-2009, 16:47
That would be a very long night.

Sandy King

Well, if you ever find yourself spending a night in Victoria for 2 months let us know ;)