PDA

View Full Version : Technika, Master technika, Super technika.. IV, V, III...

colker
30-Jan-2009, 19:49
tell me all about it! i mean.. please, what are the differences. which is the sexyest i mena the best for picture taking? ahem..:)

David A. Goldfarb
30-Jan-2009, 19:51
There are some good summaries of the system at--

http://www.cameraquest.com/classics.htm

Frank Petronio
31-Jan-2009, 01:30
Figure out what you can afford. Everything from the post-war Technika III to the current Master Technika is a worthwhile camera to use, capable of making the best photos with stability and precision.

Vaughn
31-Jan-2009, 04:06
We just had a Technika III donated to the university. One draw back it has compared to later models is that it does not have forward tilt on the front standard -- though one can drop the bed and use a combination of front rise and backward front tilt to achieve the equivilent of front forward tilt.

Another draw back is that the lensboards for the III are not the same as later models. But it is a sexy, I mean, well-built camera.

Vaughn

Frank Petronio
31-Jan-2009, 08:54
If you do buy a used Technika, especially one that hasn't been in regular use, you can assume that it will need at least a little service -- they are extremely durable but you don't want to abuse a fine machine either. Many need a new bellows as the OEM is thin leather that is very long and flexible, which works great, but doesn't last as long as, say, a stiffer, shorter plastic Graflex bellows. Also some owners have monkeyed around with the ground glass and fresnel screens in various ways that may or may not be ideal. The leather sides of the focusing hood tend to wear out (find a new replacement on eBay). And any camera -- even the current model -- accumulates grime and wear. Marflex in the USA is the national service provider, budget $300 or so for a general CLA, $350 for a bellows, and $300 per lens if you want them cammed to work with the rangefinder. Those are ballpark prices of course.

For the money, I'd look for used Tech IV for under $750 and then spend an equal amount (or less hopefully) on a CLA and refurb. Or I'd buy a recently CLA'd Tech IV or V from someone trusted for around $1200 to $1800... If I had money to burn I'd get a Master but know that some Masters can already be over 20-years-old so they can need service (bellows) as much as a 50-year-old one.

If you go ghetto, you can strip the rangefinder; recover the old worn tan leather with a new covering from cameraleather.com; replace the leather focusing hood with a metal one from a Crown Graphic; learn how to test for the optimal the groundglass/fresnel position yourself, and use a 12" Crown Graphic bellows to instead of the expensive leather replacement -- all compromises but keeping things cheap DIY options.

Martin is the man, a real gem. He might not use his email as much, he is an older gentleman but very sharp.

Marflex
Martin Arndt
252-652-4401
marflex@aol.com
117 Anchorage Rd.
Havelock, NC 28532

Also on eBay you can find Linhof books - check the issue date - that show everything, along with useful tips. I have one from the 60s that covers up to the V model and it is a great reference for some of the smaller details -- there are a lot of cool "James Bond" type accessories.

Finally, eBay.de - the German version - is a good place to look too.