PDA

View Full Version : My new gallery and Clyde Butcher Exhibit

John Brady
30-Jan-2009, 14:19
Wow! I am finally nearing completion of my new gallery and preparing for our Grand opening and a joint exhibit with Clyde Butcher. Clyde has been a great friend and mentor and is really giving us a boost to help kick off the new gallery during these tough economic times. Clyde will be present from 5 to 7 pm on February 12th for any of you who can make it.

I have opened the gallery inside of my retail flooring store. That part is a little weird but it is a separate business inside of a business. The gallery is about 1000 sf and has 16 ft ceilings. In addition I have built a 400 sf studio and mat and frame shop for my work.

Check out my new web site for the gallery and let me know what you think.
I hope some of you can make it for the open.

www.gladesgallery.com

bspeed
30-Jan-2009, 14:34
Hope you have a geat showing.

I can only wonder how you guys keep the gators off you while muking about in the swamps :)

Erik Larsen
30-Jan-2009, 14:34
Looks beautiful John, I wish you much success with this endeavor! I lived on Captiva for a few years in the early 90's and the subject matter of the exhibit bring back great memories, good luck with the show!
regards
Erik

Bruce Watson
30-Jan-2009, 15:19
Oh, man. It looks like you made a beautiful gallery space. And that means it took a lot of hard work. But finally all that hard work is paying off! Good on ya John, and best of luck at your opening!

cdholden
30-Jan-2009, 15:44
John,
Being a former resident of south FL, with many days out in the Everglades, Big Cypress, and around Loxahatchee, I can appreciate the environment you work in.
Best of luck with your gallery opening. I wish I could attend the opening, but don't forsee another trip to the area for some time. I'll get in there when I can!
Chris

Drew Wiley
30-Jan-2009, 17:18
A pleasant-looking space. I hope you do well!

Bill_1856
30-Jan-2009, 19:50
The very best of luck to you.
You might want to touch base with Steve Katzman, who operated the IMAGE Gallery for several years in Sarasota.
sekatzman@comcast.net

Brian Ellis
30-Jan-2009, 20:42
The Gallery looks very nice, congratulations. I took a workshop from Clyde many years ago and really enjoyed the time spent with him and his wife. They were great hosts and excellent instructors.

jackies
30-Jan-2009, 21:45
Congratulations John.

It looks just wonderful. I am happy to see both BW and color in the same artists gallery. I have a problem as I just can't give up color yet.

What are the hours? I will be in Sarasota at the end of Feb and would like to drive down and take a look see, probably on Saturday Feb 28.

Jackie

John Brady
31-Jan-2009, 05:07
Thank you for all the support!
Jackie you bring up a good point, we neglected to list the hours. The gallery is open from m-f 9-5, sat 10-5. Gallery ph 239-593-7793 my cel 239-273-5813, I hope you can make it.

Bill thanks for the heads up on Steve, I will try to contact him.

Again thanks to all of you, now back to work.

www.gladesgallery.com

Tom Schaefer
31-Jan-2009, 09:42
John
Congratulations it looks great. Hope to be there for the
Grand Opening
Tom Schaefer

John Brady
31-Jan-2009, 10:33
Great to hear from you Tom! I look forward to seeing you.

Saulius
4-Feb-2009, 23:03
Congrats John. Looks like you will have a great opening and I wish you much success. Wish I could be there. All the best.

Toyon
5-Feb-2009, 16:20
Congratulations. A very handsome space. Will you specialize primarily in amphibious photographers?

Jim Fitzgerald
5-Feb-2009, 22:11
John, the gallery space looks awesome! Very nice colors and the work looks impressive. If I ever get to Florida I will be sure to stop in.

Jim

John Brady
7-Feb-2009, 06:47
Congratulations. A very handsome space. Will you specialize primarily in amphibious photographers?

Thank you all for the support. I have opened many business's over the years and it's the same thing every time. You plan, you work your tail off and then you wait and see how the public will respond. The waiting game begins! In this economy its hard to say what the response will be. One thing for sure, Clyde's involvement in the opening exhibit will be a major boost and hopefully prime the pump for the future of the gallery.

As far as amphibious goes, the primary focus is on Landscape photography with Florida first. I think because the gallery is in Naples local work will play best. But I am not excluding other regions. I am showing some images from Italy and the Blue Ridge mountains to test the waters...

www.gladesgallery.com

Duane Polcou
13-Feb-2009, 01:34
I think putting a gallery inside of a retail flooring store isn't wierd, it's genius. People who walk through the door are already in the frame of mind to spend money on some aspect of interior design or improvement, so throwing photography into the mix is outstanding.

Simply beautiful installation from the prints to the walls to the floor to the lighting. Best of luck.

Bill_1856
4-Apr-2009, 15:55
I visited there this morning. Beautifully done. A real pleasure to meet John and see his work, as well as his workshop.
One side was John's work, the other Clyde Butcher's. I couldn't tell their B&W prints from each other (except maybe John is a better printer). I'm still in awe that photographs can be printed so large in quality and quantiry.
Definitely worth a trip if you're in South Florida.

Greg Miller
4-Apr-2009, 20:47
It looks like a beautiful space that you have created. Best of luck to you.

Ted Stoddard
5-Apr-2009, 05:48
John as soon as I get the time I will come by and check it out... I hope it works out well for you... Now all I need to do is go shooting out there too... I been putting it off for a while now...

John Brady
6-Apr-2009, 06:17
I visited there this morning. Beautifully done. A real pleasure to meet John and see his work, as well as his workshop.
One side was John's work, the other Clyde Butcher's. I couldn't tell their B&W prints from each other (except maybe John is a better printer). I'm still in awe that photographs can be printed so large in quality and quantiry.
Definitely worth a trip if you're in South Florida.

Bill, thanks for making the drive! It was great to meet you in person and I appreciate the kind words and support.

I hope to meet more of you sometime soon.

John
www.gladesgallery.com