PDA

View Full Version : Beginner question - lend off lensboard

Stefan Lungu
30-Jan-2009, 14:14
Hello everybody,

I know it's kind of a stupid question, but before I damage something I would rather ask. I got myself a 90mm Super-Angulon in a recessed Linhof board and would like to get it off the board. The problem is my lens key does not get in the small opening of the board on the back, and the ring seems to be pretty tight. Any idea how I could still get the lens off without damaging something ? I also noticed that the Copal sgutter the lens is in goes two clicks further open than the f8.0 mark. I guess it is a 5.6 shutter with a f8.0 scale ( the lens is a f8.0 Super-Angulon ). Is there a problem with this combination ( other than I should look when setting the aperture :D ) ?

Regards, Stefan

Joe Forks
30-Jan-2009, 14:32
You need a spanner wrench, rather than the "key" you are using.

As for the other, does your iris actually get larger past F8?

Stefan Lungu
30-Jan-2009, 14:41
Thank's Joe, I have some of those Linos pieces of metal, I got it from ebay, but it does not get to the ring. I also have a lens wrench, but the ring still is a little bit stiff. And yes, the iris opens when I go past f8.0.

Andrew
30-Jan-2009, 14:46
indeed it is a squeeze, but I can get the SK Grimes spanner wrench in there so it's just a matter of getting the correct tool

Stefan Lungu
30-Jan-2009, 14:59
Yes, it looks like I have the wrong tools, since both my two spanner wrenches - one round and one straight - are widening so the two side bars are not straight enough, at least not in the lower part enough to get in there. Have to figure out something else or wait until I get a better tool. :(

Andrew
30-Jan-2009, 15:57
is it possible to reverse the arm orientation on your tool ??

Stefan Lungu
30-Jan-2009, 16:19
Yes Andrew, it is possible, and with this I am able to get the wrench pretty good inside and so, but it is still to strong for me to loosen the ring. I wonder what kind of tool they used in the first place.

Andrew
30-Jan-2009, 16:31
they used a strong right arm !

either use more force or if you think it's really seized up you might consider a tiny tiny drop of lubricant into the threads and let it sit for a few days....
but don't let any get into the shutter or on the lens

Gem Singer
30-Jan-2009, 17:18
Unscrew both the front and the rear lens components. Set them aside in a safe place.

Get a good grip on the outer rim of the shutter.

Turn counter-clockwise. The shutter should unscrew without tools.

Glenn Thoreson
30-Jan-2009, 18:16
I often use a pair of needle nose pliers, the points of which I have ground down to fit these ring slots. I can really get a grip on them and apply a lot of torque. RE: Your shutter - It's capable of opening to 5.6 or maybe even 4.5 but with the proper scale, properly installed, it makes no difference whatsoever. Enjoy it. It's a great lens.

Andrew
30-Jan-2009, 22:06
personally I find it hard to get a grip on the shutter when it's in a recessed board...

Ernest Purdum
31-Jan-2009, 11:11
I think that's just as well. While it can be possible to loosen a shutter that way, it may be locked by a tiny screw and an attempt to unscrew the shutter rather than the retaining ring could result in significant damage.

Stefan Lungu
1-Feb-2009, 06:53
Well, after trying again with my not so good wrench and the recesses board, I finaly could get the SA off that one and on to the original Crown board. The shutter it is in is a Synchro-Compur shutter and not the usual Copal 0 shutter, but I managed to get it on the board and am now waiting for a little light to shoot. Thanks everybody for the hints, I'm now a happy camper ( more happy when I actually get to use it : ) ).
regards, Stefan

Sevo
1-Feb-2009, 07:02
they used a strong right arm !

And often, some made to measure T shape tool for that recessed lensboard and bore size - essentially a piece of brass or steel tube with holes for a T handle at the rear, and the front cut and filed to fit the slots and center itself on the retaining ring. It is fairly easy to make these yourself, once you have sourced the right diameter tubing.

Sevo

ricm
1-Feb-2009, 10:45
Unscrew both the front and the rear lens components. Set them aside in a safe place.

Get a good grip on the outer rim of the shutter.

Turn counter-clockwise. The shutter should unscrew without tools.

Caution - if it's a Linhof mounting job they "properly" drill a tiny hole to countersunk the rear protruding shutter orientation screw to eliminate any twisting of the shutter. So this won't work. Is there a cable release saddle attached to the lens board?

Gem Singer
1-Feb-2009, 11:04
We're talking about a Syncro Compur 00 shutter here. As far as I know, this type of shutter does not have an indexing pin (the proper name for that tiny little screw that protrudes from the back of the shutter).

If the shutter was a Copal 0 or Copal 1, I would agree with your cautionary warning not to unscrew the shutter body unless you were certain that the indexing pin had been removed.

As far as i know, only Copal 0 and Copal 1 type shutters have a removable indexing screw, and a Linhof recessed lens board will not accept a Copal 1 shutter, only a Copal 0, or smaller, shutter.