PDA

View Full Version : Nice Bag for Whole Plate Film Holders

David Karp
28-Jan-2009, 19:08
Hi out there you WP film users.

I had to pick up some medicine at the Rite Aid drugstore yesterday. I happened to walk down the "right" aisle, and found a shelf with some 12 can insulated cooler bags. They looked about the right size for WP fllm holders, so I bought a couple of red ones. The others were light blue and shocking pink.

Turns out that the bag is the perfect size for 7-8 Eastman WP film holders. Not too big, not too small, just right.

The only thing I had found before this was a much larger bag that was more appropriate for 8x10 holders.

I know that using a can cooler to hold film holders is not new news. A lot of us use them or lunch boxes for our 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10 holders. This is the best thing I have found for WP holders.

So if you live near a Rite Aid and you need something to carry your WP holders, check out the 12 can insulated cooler bag, item #9000789-MMIX. The label says that they are distributed by Ride Aid Corp., so I have no idea where else they might be found under a different number.

No photo now. I will try to make one later.

David Karp
28-Jan-2009, 22:37
Here are a couple of quick and dirty snapshots. The brand name is "Polar Pack."

Sal Santamaura
29-Jan-2009, 08:34
Dave, is it made of vinyl? Your nose will reveal the answer. :)

Jim Graves
29-Jan-2009, 11:35
Also, what was the cost?

David Karp
29-Jan-2009, 23:12
Sal,

Now is not a good time for me to be checking anything for smell, but I am getting over my cold. :)

The outside appears to be nylon.

I stuck my face in the inside and took a big whiff, but did not smell much of anything. However, it could be vinyl. It is not like the silver insides on most of the other coolers that I use for film holders. Problem?

Jim,

They were $14.00 each.

Sal Santamaura
30-Jan-2009, 08:11
...However, it could be vinyl...Problem?...With vinyl, plasticizers ooze out over time and make a sticky mess, especially at elevated temperatures. However, for $14.00, one might not worry too much about that and just throw away / replace when the problem presents.

David Karp
1-Feb-2009, 08:52
Hi Sal,

Thanks.

These are not as nice as the holders I use for 4x5 (arctic zone brand or California Innovations). The main difference is the inside. These are made with a silver reflective material. However, the fit on these was so good, and you are correct, the price is right.

Plus, I try to keep the film out of the heat as much as possible, so these are mostly for hauling the holders from place to place before loading them in the pack.

Ahh, now if only all the holders in that photo were in good enough shape to use without fear of failure!