PDA

View Full Version : Shipping gear overseas

Matus Kalisky
27-Jan-2009, 15:37
Hi,

I am trying to find the way to get my Tachi along to New Zealand and for carry on it would be too much (7kg max weight for carry on) weight and bulk. I am wondering whether it would be reasonable to ship it together with film, lenses and tripod as an insured package to NZ. But as I do not know anybody there - I am wondering whether it would be possible that the package remains stored by the delivery company (say Fedex or so) and I would pick it up once I am there.

What are your experiences? What about the prices? Packing materials?

thanks

Nathan Potter
27-Jan-2009, 16:22
Find a hotel or any place to stay for the first couple of nights and ship the gear to that place. Make sure that's acceptable to the hotel beforehand.

Ship in a wooden case with the inside well cushioned. It'll be expensive so depends on how badly you want your gear there. Get a tracking number. Might want to put film in radiation blocking sleeves.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

eddie
27-Jan-2009, 16:25
you can ship your stuff by a number of ways. USPS is good too. you can ship it General Post Office to your self with no issues. i have done this in many many countries with great success. just pick your PO.

just find the address to the PO and send it :

Matus Kalisky
General Post Office
the name of the street
city name NZ.

this is a very common way to ship items to yourself. PO around the world do this regularly. you should be able to use the germany insurance for packages also. i would use the german PO.

but really you should be able to carry the camera on very easily. that camera with film in a bag should be way less than 7kg. or make sure you have insurance and just pack it into your checked bag and CARRY on your film and lenses. no one wants to steal a LF camera anyway. digital is way easier to steal and fence.

in the USA we get a personal item as well. a personal item is a lap top or a purse. i stuff the lap top bag with all kinds of film (and cameras but we get more weight than you do)

good luck.

eddie

edit: the PO is far easier than dealing with any hotel etc.

Arne Croell
27-Jan-2009, 23:56
You could get a "photographers vest" (I know its not fashionable, but...) stuff it with all the lenses, light meter etc. and wear it. That would reduce your carry-on weight and once you have boarded you could put it back into the carry-on. Also check the airlines specific rules: sometimes they allow a camera in addition to the carry-on. You might have to argue a bit and show them that the Tachi is a camera, but then you could hand-carry it and stuff the carry-on with film.

Matus Kalisky
28-Jan-2009, 03:39
*** ( I would be shipping from Germany) ***
Well, I have just checked the prices with Fedex. 8kg package with insurance value of 2000 euro would cost 275 to ship. That is just too much so this is not an option. I may try to pack the camera, lenses and film to carry-on and put the tripod inside the check-in (it is too long).

But still I have a weight limit of 7 + 20 kg in total (Emirates airlines).

I think the LF lenses are just a bit too bulky to put in a pocket even of photo vest.

Chris Dunham
28-Jan-2009, 05:12
*** ( I would be shipping from Germany) ***
Well, I have just checked the prices with Fedex. 8kg package with insurance value of 2000 euro would cost 275 to ship. That is just too much so this is not an option. I may try to pack the camera, lenses and film to carry-on and put the tripod inside the check-in (it is too long).

But still I have a weight limit of 7 + 20 kg in total (Emirates airlines).

I think the LF lenses are just a bit too bulky to put in a pocket even of photo vest.

Just got back from NZ, took a pelican case with all of the 4x5 gear I needed (except for the film (130 sheets) which went in my carry on laptop bag. Put the Pelican case in side a canvas type of duffel bag along with tripod, clothing etc. Weighed in at 26kg but they put it through (Qantas) and dident charge any extra. They even put it in the oversize/fragile area - nice folk. Made the trip from Perth in WA to NZ and back without any problems.

Don't know if this info will be of any use to you, hope you have a good time and get some great shots.

Chris.

PS. I really like my 410 gear head as it makes set up so easy but next time I go home will take a lighter weight ball head and could probably do everything with just two lenses.

eddie
28-Jan-2009, 05:12
use the german Post Office.

i tried to say that above ......but i did a poor job of it.

you said a the shipping package was 8kg. sounds lik you should be able to carry that on! just shave a kg off and you are in. i know the germans are rumored to be very exact, but i think they would let an 8kg carry on slide, maybe?

i still think you could carry on the camera and a lens.

you may want to just buy another tripod in NZ when you arrive. may be cheaper in the long run than trying to carry it or ship it.

Aender Brepsom
28-Jan-2009, 05:52

Hi Matus,

I second Arne's suggestion of the vest. I have done this several times with 35mm gear, carrying 2 pro bodies and 2 medium big lenses (70-200mm etc) in the pockets. It is heavy, but sometimes the only option to get all your gear into the cabin. My tripod (either Gitzo G1348 or G1228) always goes into the suitcase. I just take off the ballhead.
Use lens wraps for each lens that you carry in your pockets.

Like Chris, I am convinced that you can do almost everything with just 2-3 LF lenses. (BTW, that's one of the reasons why I only have 3 lenses at all.)

Enjoy your trip and don't take too much gear with you.

Matus Kalisky
28-Jan-2009, 06:05
Thanks a lot.

I have to weight the necessary stuff that has to go along and than I will see whether the 4x5 stuff will fit in. I meant 8kq together with packing. It would be less in a backpack. Two lenses will be a bit tough on me, but 3 (75, 125, 210) would be perfect. I would leave the 400/8 tele at home (big and heavy)

I was considering a Pelican case already but it is quite heavy by its own (and bulky too). But I will check the details. I would need to pack a Tachihara 4x5, 3 lenses (75/4.5, 125/5.6 - folded inside the camera , 210/6.8) and some filmholders (empty :) ). I would be more worried about the tripod even if surrounded by T-shirts.

I am considering getting a new carbon tripod to save another cca 1kg. Will see.

Sure - the 4x5 camera and lenses will fit in the carry-on, but there is a bit more to be carried in there. (some more cameras ;) )

I will check out some photo vests - the smaller stuff could go in there. But I anyhow have to empty all the pockets for the X-ray security guys - do they not complain about so much stuff in the pockets?

...don't take too much gear with you

that's exactly the problem I am dealing with :o

Aender Brepsom
28-Jan-2009, 06:22
When travelling by plane, I always use a Lowepro Rower AW II. It takes my 4x5, 3 lenses, light meter, QL holder and films. I even managed to get a Canon 5D with a zoom lens in it too.

You could use a tripod pouch for extra protection in the suitcase.

As for the security check, I just take off the vest and put it through the machine, without emptying the pockets. There has never been a problem with this.

David A. Goldfarb
28-Jan-2009, 07:21
I usually put my empty filmholders and tripod in my checked luggage and carry the film on, so that should save some of the carry-on weight.

Chris Dunham
28-Jan-2009, 17:53
I was considering a Pelican case already but it is quite heavy by its own (and bulky too). But I will check the details. I would need to pack a Tachihara 4x5, 3 lenses (75/4.5, 125/5.6 - folded inside the camera , 210/6.8) and some filmholders (empty :) ). I would be more worried about the tripod even if surrounded by T-shirts.

Matus,

I used a Pelican 1510 and removed the rollers and sliding handle (they can be unscrewed) which saved quite a bit of weight and some bulk. My tripod was wrapped in bubble wrap and put into a suitable sized cardboard box cut to length. The cardboard box was from a fishing store and had previously housed fishing rods. Once both the 1510 and tripod are tucked into the duffel bag the length of the pelican case is much the same as the tripod box and serves as protection.

I got a Chamonix 4x5, four lenses, reflex viewing hood, 410 gear head, filters and meter, and a lot of other stuff into the 1510 along with padding - also took out some insurance just in case.

Regards,

Chris.

Terry Hayden
29-Jan-2009, 17:25
Matus,

I am flying out of SFO to Auckland this Saturday evening.

Your camera is probably lighter than mine ( Technika ). With
the camera, four lenses, a few odd bits ( cable release, clips,
loupes, glass filters, etc,) all in a Kelty 2650 ( from photobackpacker ) I
come in at about 18 lbs.

That's 3 lbs over the limit, but it meets the size requirement ( total 45 inches).

So, If my dear wife has any room in her carry on we'll shift 3 lbs. Otherwise my
oversized coatpockets will be filled with lenses & filters & such.

I did find that, since I'm also allowed a "personal item", a softsided laptop case
will nicely hold 60 + sheets of readyloads.

The tripod and plastic filmholders ( and changing tent ) are going in a separate
hard sided suitcase in baggage.

Good luck, maybe we can compare notes once we return.

Regards,
Terry
www.terryhayden.com

Matus Kalisky
30-Jan-2009, 02:51
- Terry -

That's sounds good. I thought the Kellty was too large.

I have a few questions:
- wich company are you flying with ?
- How do you find the Kelty 2650 - is the harness/comfortable large enough? I am considering it too (carry on AND hiking) and I am 175cm tall.
- What is the true size (external and internal) of this backpack? On their website is just 17"x10"x20".
- I was considering to get the JourneyMan P450 from www.kgear.com, but the Kellty 2650 one is a bit lighter, cheaper and seems more suitble for genral hiking too (well, maybe).
- Do you plan to take one or more day trips on NZ?

thanks, have a nice trip