PDA

View Full Version : Zone VI 4x5 - back options?

mohan
27-Jan-2009, 09:06
hello all,

Can someone here tell me if there different options for a back for a Zone VI 4x5?

I have a Zone VI camera and want to change the back so that I can use my Fuji PA-45 without fear of damaging the back that I have now. The back I have now is the one that is designed for a normal film holder and it has two long leaf springs on either side of the back in the back.

Inserting the PA-45 is a pretty forced operation compared to a normal film holder and I keep being worried about when the leaf springs are going to come off. So, I stopped using the PA-45 for now.

Any tips or information on other types of backs for the Zone VI?

Thanks so very much

Mohan

venchka
27-Jan-2009, 09:19
Mohan,

Same here. I hope someone has an answer. I have Polaroid 550, 405 and Grafmatic holders that I won't use with my Zone VI. My solution so far would be to make a new back based on a Speed/Crown Graphic Graflock back. Not the easiest thing to do, but probably manageable.

lenser
27-Jan-2009, 10:28
Mohan and Wayne,

I have a Polaroid pack holder (not sure of the number) that I use successfully in my Zone VI and have for about three years with no problems on stressing the springs or the mounts. It's thickness is about 1.1 inches or 2.75cm.

I do have to force it a bit to get it properly seated, but my only condern is throwing off the focus, not damaging the camera. I just hold on very tight to ensure that neither the focus or rear tilt gets changed.

venchka
27-Jan-2009, 10:32
Lenser,

Is your camera an early re-badged Wista or later made in Vermont camera? I don't know if the backs were different, but my camera was actually made by Zone VI Studios.

My Polaroid and Grafmatic holders go in with a bit of struggle. I'm just concerned about long term effects. Also, the Grafmatic does not seal. I have the light leaks on my negatives to prove it.

Mark Sampson
27-Jan-2009, 10:45
It's worth noting that earlier versions of the Vermont-made Zone VI 4x5s lacked the 'bail' that will hold the spring back open. My 1992 version has the bail- but at that time, I think it was being offered as a retrofit for cameras made without it. Somewhere I have a Z-VI catalog or newsletter that explains this. And to get to the point, my camera takes a 545 holder easily but wouldn't keep a Grafmatic in place.

venchka
27-Jan-2009, 10:48
Mark,

I have the bail. My findings exactly. The 545 works fine. The others are just too darn thick. The Grafmatic is actually the thinnist, I think, but doesn't seal along the edges. For the time being, my Speed Graphic handles all my thick holder duties.

lenser
27-Jan-2009, 11:02
Wayne,

Mine is also made by Zone VI. I have on rare occassions experienced some light leaks, but I am virtually certain that they are not due to the Polaroid back or the fit to the camera. I am almost positive that it is my technique of getting it properly seated, combined with position of either sun or strobes near axis to the back, that has caused the leaks. That seems to be resolved by leaving the darkslide partially in the back and blocking the on axis light with a hand or darkcloth. Also, if the axis light is aimed toward the dark slide opening, I will flip the camera back so that it hits the heel of the Polaroid insert.

I just took a quick look at the back construction as far as the spring mounting. The center mount screws don't go all the way through to recessed nuts like some other parts of the camera, but they are obviously well seated. Everything else about construction on these seems very robust, so I question whether the stress from larger film inserts will cause problems.

Tim

Navy Moose
27-Jan-2009, 11:13
PM Mr. Ritter, he is a member on this forum.

Louie Powell
27-Jan-2009, 11:16
Before I bought my Zone VI Lightweight, I made a point of asking Calumet about using a Polaroid 405 back. I was assured that there would be no problem.

My actual experience pretty much supports that advice - pretty much. Yes, it is a tight fit. But it fits and it doesn't wreck the camera.

On the other hand - I found that the position of the darkslide in the 405 back is such that it is very difficult to grasp and pull without inadvertently pulling the holder very slightly away from the camera body, and that then results in fogging of the end of the polaroid exposure.

The right guy to address this subject is Richard Ritter.

Navy Moose
27-Jan-2009, 11:33
I've used my 545i holder with my Zone VI 4X5 without a problem. I haven't tried using my 405 holder. I would like to try a 550 holder, but I haven't had the chance yet.

lenser
27-Jan-2009, 12:52
Louie,

I have noticed the same problem with darkslide position relative to camera back. Check the actual depth of your darkslide as is sockets into the end of your Polaroid back.

Mine has just over 5/8 inch of actual throw before the slide exposes the film area, so my solution is to pull the slide by just a few mm's and hook a fingernail under the edge as it slips over the edge of the back on that final push of the holder into place. That makes it easy to grasp the slide when I'm actually ready to pull the slide and expose film.

Tim

RichardRitter
27-Jan-2009, 13:17
You can shim the springs with up to a 1/4 shim between the spring and the back. If the ground glass frame becomes a little loose re bend the springs. You will need longer screws.
The insert that hold the spring screw is well seated in the wood. You would wreck the back trying to put it out.

venchka
27-Jan-2009, 13:27
Thanks Richard!

Bruce Barlow
27-Jan-2009, 13:41
Contact Richard Ritter, 802-365-7807. I suspect he'll have a way to meet your needs.

mohan
27-Jan-2009, 14:09
Thank you so very much Richard. Cheers!