PDA

View Full Version : Fuji Quickload Handling

Thomas W Earle
18-Jun-2001, 23:50
I just started experimenting with the Fuji Quickloads. They sure seem easy enou gh to use. My question pertains to the handling of them out in the field. Do I need to be concerned about light leakage? For example, can they sustain direct sunlight? Or do you need to load and unload them into the holder in reduced li ght which may be tough to do sometimes? I guess my question boils down to how l ight tight are they when housed in their paper backing?

Thanks in advance,

...Wade...

Ellis Vener
19-Jun-2001, 02:01
I have used Fuji Quickloads for a number of years, probably since they were first introduced. I live in Texas and do a fair amount of outdoor photography with my 4x5 My strategy is to keep their exposure to direct sunlight to minimum, but I do this as a habit with all film. But to answer your question directly: No I haven't yet seen a problem with them using them in direct sunlight in a normal manner, but whenever possible I keep the unexposed and unexposed packets out of direct midday sunlight and not just lying out.

John Hennessy
19-Jun-2001, 16:51
I had a problem when I first started using Fuji Quickloads in that the film was streaked by a lighter vague band across the short side. I was keeping the holder together with the film in a tupperware (actually a Rubbermaid) container. I concluded that the shoulder of the holder--where the holder gets thicker on its handle end) was applying pressure on the the film before or after exposure while inside the container. After leaving the holder out of the container the problem ceased.

I have noticed no light leaks or fogging.

Scott Atkinson
20-Jun-2001, 03:42
I've used Fuji Quickload exclusively for several years now, both in the studio and in intense desert sun/heat, and I've had virtually zero problems. Before that, I had nothing but light leaks with Kodak's double-sheet Readyload (so far, so good with the new single sheets). Like Ellis, I take reasonable care to keep the Quickloads out of direct sun, but I don't really worry about it. In the field I also use a Rubbermaid container, but I've had no problems there either; I limit myself to 20 Quickload sheets and the holder so that it doesn't get all jammed together inside the container. The holder goes inside a little stuff sack and sits on top of the film. By the way, I use the Kodak, not the Fuji holder, with Fuji film--it's lighter and seems less futzy to me. Does anyone ever use all 20 "Exposed" stickers before they blow away in the wind?

fw
20-Jun-2001, 09:56
Is TMax100 now readily available in the new single sheet readyloads? No-one in the UK seems to have heard of it.

Geoffrey_1456
20-Jun-2001, 15:23
Thomas,

Fuji Quickloads are very well made. I use Velvia and Provia F together with a Polaroid back. Never had a single problem. As for Kodak Readyloads, it's a whole different story. Cheers,

Sal Santamaura
20-Jun-2001, 16:38
fw: Calumet's UK Web site lists single sheet TMX Readyload as item no. KP00637 with a price of 31.95 UK Pounds for 20 sheets.

Geoffrey: While *double-sheet* Readyloads might justifiably have been described as "a whole different story" compared to Quickloads, respected sources (such as Kerry Thalmann) are saying single-sheet Readyload works reliably in recent Readyload holders. Please give it a fair chance before condemning the product.

fw
20-Jun-2001, 18:52
Thanks, Sal!

Geoffrey_1456
21-Jun-2001, 13:11
Well, let me make my point clear first: I speak from my own experience, but not quoting "He said/She Said". I did not use the new Kodak singlesheet Readyloads with the new Kodak holder. A kodak rep gave me a box of their singlesheet Readyloads and ask me to try them with my Polaroid back as a FIELD TEST.

If anyone wants to see a side-by-side comparison of Fuji Quickload and Kodak Readyload (single and double), please visit Paul Butzi's site at: http://www.butzi.net/reviews/readyquick.htm

The better results can be obtained by using Fuji holder for Fuji film and Kodak holder for Kodak film. Forget the Kodak doublesheet Readyloads. They are really bad! Cheers,

Paul Schilliger
21-Jun-2001, 13:41
Thomas, I too have used the QL since their introduction. Before, I have lost man y slides with conventional holders, for light leakage. But the QL have been perfect for outdoor photography . I never took any special care in protecting the holder from sunlight. Just be careful when you pull the e nveloppe out and in again, that you don't move the holder itself. Press on the back of the camera with one hand.

Sal Santamaura
21-Jun-2001, 14:10
Geoffrey: it's easy to forget double-sheet Readyloads; they are discontinued. The important question is what were *your* results using single sheet Readyloads in a Polaroid holder?

Geoffrey_1456
21-Jun-2001, 14:26
Sal,

A few singlesheet packets "jammed" in my Polaroid holder (took me a few tries to get them out) and two blanks, out of a box of new Kodak packets. The film was E100VS, and the Polaroid Holder was 545 Pro. Never had a single problem with either Polaroid or Fuji packets before and after. If I decided to use Kodak Readyloads, I would get a new Kodak film holder (version IV). Cheers,

Scott Atkinson
21-Jun-2001, 15:16
Since my last post I've had a chance to work about 20 single sheets of Kodak 100S into the flow of two assignment days, working in bright, sunny gardens. Not a single light leak. I run a lot of Polaroid on these days, so the film goes in the Polaroid holder that's already in the camera. Shooting select-focus at f8 with my Nikkor 210mm and Arca, I got a pretty good opportunity to see how sharp the Readyload/Polaroid combo is. Answer? After checking the chromes with both 4x Schneider and 8x Toyo loupes, the focus points seem perfectly sharp. It's great to have Kodak back in the mix.

fw
21-Jun-2001, 17:55
Well, today I tried both Calumet and Robert White for both the new Kodak readyload holder and a box of TMax100 in the new packaging. Robert White won't deal with Kodak, and Calumet in the UK say that the product is only available in the USA, despite the product being listed on the UK website.