PDA

View Full Version : Attaching Cable Releases in Small Spaces

neil poulsen
24-Jan-2009, 19:25
I thought I asked previously, but I can't find the reference in my threads or posts, or in the archives.

I purchased an older style Arca 6x9 camera, and the recessed lensboards are small. So, attaching a cable release occurs in a very confined space.

There's a right-angle accessory that allows one to attach a cable to a lens mounted in a recessed lensboard where the space is very confined. I know of one by Calumet, but I believe the one that was suggested was made by Linhof. The one I'm thinking of can be attached in a smaller space than the Calumet option.

What's the model number or name or something, so that I can locate one?

David Karp
24-Jan-2009, 20:07
I don't know about the one you are asking about. I have some flexible "extensions" that thread into the shutter where you would attach a cable release. They allow you to pull them out with a finger and thread right into the end. I like them better than a fixed right angle accessory, because you can turn the end at varying angles, to suit any "angle of attack" you adopt with the cable release. Mine are braided metal, but I think that I have seen them with the same plastic tubing used on cable releases.

I believe that MPEX sells both right angle and flexible adapters.

Gem Singer
24-Jan-2009, 20:33
Kaiser 3 inch, wide angle cable release extension. $15.95 at Midwest Photo Exchange.

It is connected to my wide angle lens all of the time. The flexible tip enables it to store neatly inside the smaller sized Toyo field recessed lens board when not in use.

I also have a metal right angle cable release attachment that I use on the larger sized Toyo monorail lensboard. It requires slightly more room to operate.

Both types work effectively. However, the 3 inch flexible extension is easier to attach a cable release.

neil poulsen
24-Jan-2009, 20:37
That just might do it.

http://www.mpex.com/browse.cfm/4,2223.html

If it works, great. I'd still be interested in finding the Linhof version.

Thanks!

Gem Singer
24-Jan-2009, 20:59
The only genuine Linhof version I have seen is built into their recessed lens board. It's not a separate attachment

I think Gepe also makes a 3 or 4 inch flexible extension.

Many years ago i had a Prontor flexible tip 10 inch cable release. Haven't seen them around for quite a while.

David A. Goldfarb
24-Jan-2009, 21:02
On my Linhof recessed boards, I like the short Gepe extensions, which look very much like the Kaiser extension, and may in fact be the same product under two different brands. Since HP Marketing distributes both brands in the US, maybe Bob Salomon can sort that out for us.

The nipple on the Gepe extension is very small, so it can fit in a tight space.

neil poulsen
24-Jan-2009, 21:57
I remember looking up whatever else was suggested, maybe at B&H. It had a very short tip, so it would be interesting to include that in this thread. I sure can't find it now, though.

But, I suspect that Gem's and David's suggestion to use one that's flexible will work best in my situation.

I think these recessed lensboards were probably designed for the smaller shutters (000?) for f8 lenses, whereas I have the f5.6 versions of the 47mm and 58mm. The lensboards have an inside dimension of about 3.125 inches squared. I can barely get my finger in there enough to cock the shutter, let alone adjust the f-stop. Seriously, I may need a dentist's tool and mirror to do the latter!

Again, thanks.

Gene McCluney
25-Jan-2009, 10:31
I generally leave 3" cable-release extensions on all my lenses. It makes it much easier for location photography to set-up and change lenses quickly. You can even leave your gloves on.

mandoman7
25-Jan-2009, 11:18
I've taken to leaving cable releases attached to lenses that give me trouble. Before mounting a lens to a recessed board I'll screw a cable in tightly and store it in a way that is safe for the glass. In general, I like to have a large supply of a generic item, rather than a special one-of-a-kind item that will get lost when you're a long way from home.

JY

Bob Salomon
25-Jan-2009, 11:27
Kaiser 3 inch, wide angle cable release extension. $15.95 at Midwest Photo Exchange.

It is connected to my wide angle lens all of the time. The flexible tip enables it to store neatly inside the smaller sized Toyo field recessed lens board when not in use.

I also have a metal right angle cable release attachment that I use on the larger sized Toyo monorail lensboard. It requires slightly more room to operate.

Both types work effectively. However, the 3 inch flexible extension is easier to attach a cable release.

Gepe not Kaiser.

Bob Salomon
25-Jan-2009, 11:29
That just might do it.

http://www.mpex.com/browse.cfm/4,2223.html

If it works, great. I'd still be interested in finding the Linhof version.

Thanks!

The Linhof 3" and the Gepe 3" are the same from the same supplier. Linhof also uses some additional sized ones but they are considerably more then the Gepe Pro-Release ones.

Both Gepe and Kaiser have the same L and U shaped metal adapters.

Capocheny
25-Jan-2009, 12:16
Neil,

Jeff at Badger Graphics also sells these flexible connectors...

Cheers

Gem Singer
25-Jan-2009, 15:42
Bob,

B&H lists the 3 inch flexible connector as a "Kaiser" on their website.

Why don't you contact them and set them straight.

Bob Salomon
25-Jan-2009, 21:20
Bob,

B&H lists the 3 inch flexible connector as a "Kaiser" on their website.

Why don't you contact them and set them straight.

Do you know how many errors are on their site?

It is much easier for a customer to correct it then the distributor. They should have an error correction button on the listing.

Gem Singer
25-Jan-2009, 21:41
Bob,

I order very few items from B&H, and when i do, i order online. That way, there is no need to have an unpleasant conversation with one of their hostile sales people.

If you are certain that it is a Gepe and not a Kaiser, it's your business to tell B&H.

I bought my Gepe 3" extensions from Jim, at Midwest a few years ago. They came in a bag that was labeled Gepe. The price was quite a bit lower in those days.

Frank Petronio
25-Jan-2009, 22:27
They aren't hostile. You're from Texas and they're New Yorkers and never the two shall mix.

Gem Singer
25-Jan-2009, 23:11
You're right about that, Frank.

Since Bob is also from New York, I figured that he could do a better job communicating
with B&H than I could.

Kent10D
26-Jan-2009, 15:19
Useful thread! Thanks guys.

I hadn't realized that such handy little widgets existed. I use a Horseman FA and the front standard supports extend past the lensboard somewhat making it difficult to screw cable releases in and out with some lenses.

So I wandered into my local camera shop yesterday (Yodobashi Camera in Yokohama) and there it was, hanging up with all the other cable release paraphenalia.

The one I bought looks similar to the one on the mpex site, but not exactly. The brand name is "Etsumi," which is a fairly large distributor of camera accessories in Japan. Not sure if they actually manufacture the stuff though.

So, as others have suggested, I'll get a few of these and attach them permanently to some lenses.

Here's a (bad) pic of the package.

Ole Tjugen
26-Jan-2009, 15:24
I have gone the other way: I have a small stock of 1930's cable releases with very short ferrules. Some of them came to me inside 1930's MF folding cameras, and then I discovered that they are really good in tight spaces.

No, I'm not selling any. ;)

Joshua Dunn
27-Jan-2009, 09:48
I use the Kaiser/Gepe extension on all of my recessed lens boards. They are are not cheap but are invaluable. One of my Sinaron 90mm lenses is in a Copal 1 shutter and has a huge front element. Since it is in a recessed lens board and everything is larger (most 90mm lenses use a Copal 0) than most 90mm lenses you cannot reach much of anything on the shutter, much less the post to attach the cable release. Without this cable extension I would have to either leave a cable release permanently attached or dismount the lens (in order to attach the cable release) every time I wanted to shoot.