PDA

View Full Version : tmax 100 and tmax rs devl?

darrin
24-Jan-2009, 16:59
I have not done film processing in years and i have a question...

Calumet suggested tmax rs developer for tmax 100 8x10 and I called kodak tech help for mixing questions and they said to use it right out of the mixing jug straight 100% no dilution.

However, while looking up development times on kodak's website their pdf file said to use it 1:4.

So what do i do?

darrin

D. Bryant
24-Jan-2009, 17:50
I have not done film processing in years and i have a question...

Calumet suggested tmax rs developer for tmax 100 8x10 and I called kodak tech help for mixing questions and they said to use it right out of the mixing jug straight 100% no dilution.

However, while looking up development times on kodak's website their pdf file said to use it 1:4.

So what do i do?

darrin
Darin,

The PDF for TMAX RS can be a bit confusing. The stock mix is 1:4, you can also dilute the developer 1:1 with water for a 1:8 dilution which will give you longer a development time which may provide you with better consistency depending on how you develop your film.

If you are rotary developing with a JOBO or BTZS tubes the 1:4 dilution will work fine at shorter development times. If you are tray developing you may wish to use a more dilute working solution with extended development times.

Hope this helps,

Don BRyant

Pat Kearns
24-Jan-2009, 18:09
On the LF homepage there is an article about John Sexton's Tmax RS development methods. It gave a starting point for me. I now mix Part A & B together and use a 1:9 dilution from the straight syrup and developing at 75 degree for 9 minutes. I use a beseler 8x10 color drum and motor base. I'm satisfied with the results. Read the article and do some testing to determine what will work for you.

Richard M. Coda
24-Jan-2009, 18:51
Do not make stock mix.

Mix the Part B into the Part A.

Then use it 1:9 straight from the bottle ONE SHOT. You can also use 1:15 to extend development of N- situations. But, as always, test first.

My normal time is 7 minutes in a Jobo for N.

D. Bryant
24-Jan-2009, 21:50
Do not make stock mix.

Mix the Part B into the Part A.

Then use it 1:9 straight from the bottle ONE SHOT. You can also use 1:15 to extend development of N- situations. But, as always, test first.

My normal time is 7 minutes in a Jobo for N.

Richard,

I used to use the method described and it works fine. But I do have a question about the life of the "syrup" once A&B are mixed together. Any idea how long this mix is good for? Something comparable to HC110 perhaps?

Thanks,

Don Bryant

keith english
24-Jan-2009, 22:21
Kodaks directions for Tmas RS are confusing to say the least. Calling it developer and replinisher when it is the same thing doesn't help. Somewhere I saw a John Sexton forrmulae where you mix part A and part B as seperate quarts then mix them together just before use (one-shot). That is what I have doing 1.5 oz of each and water to make 12 ounces for use in six BTZS tubes. Seems weird but works for me and is easy to remember.

Arne Croell
25-Jan-2009, 03:58
Richard,

I used to use the method described and it works fine. But I do have a question about the life of the "syrup" once A&B are mixed together. Any idea how long this mix is good for? Something comparable to HC110 perhaps?

Thanks,

Don Bryant

I use John Sexton's method (mix A+B, then dilute 1+9 from that mixture one shot) too, since 15 years. When I know that I won't use up the A+B mix for a while, I put it in a glass bottle, and put a neutral heavy gas over it to remove the air (Tetenal Protectan). That way I have used developer that was 1.5 years old after mixing A+B without problems.

Richard M. Coda
25-Jan-2009, 09:57
Richard,

Thanks,

Don Bryant

Hi Don:

I have had no problems with it for up to a year. Breaking it down to smaller bottles does help.

Rich

D. Bryant
25-Jan-2009, 14:48
Hi Don:

I have had no problems with it for up to a year. Breaking it down to smaller bottles does help.

Rich
Thanks Rich!

Richard M. Coda
25-Jan-2009, 18:12
Thanks Rich!

You're welcome. Oops, forgot to mention... 75 degrees.

darrin
25-Jan-2009, 20:46
ok.. just to clarify (i'm an aggie from texas.., i'm slow...)

i have one gallon of mixed tmax rs... I can mix one part of that with 9 parts water.. I'm tube processing. I have a tube of pvc pipe i'm trying with plugs on the end.. I never liked tray processing and I dont have dip dunk tubs...

sorry... 'm horrible at ratios... failed math horribly... became a photographer...

d

darrin
25-Jan-2009, 21:13
sorry.. My wife is the math person... she has set me straight...

yes.. I went to college... :) I'ts just been 20 years since I had to mix my own..

d

Richard M. Coda
25-Jan-2009, 21:30
ok.. just to clarify (i'm an aggie from texas.., i'm slow...)

i have one gallon of mixed tmax rs... I can mix one part of that with 9 parts water.. I'm tube processing. I have a tube of pvc pipe i'm trying with plugs on the end.. I never liked tray processing and I dont have dip dunk tubs...

sorry... 'm horrible at ratios... failed math horribly... became a photographer...

d

Yessir.