PDA

View Full Version : LF at inauguration

Mike Tobias
24-Jan-2009, 16:10
So who brought their 'Dorff to the inauguration?

http://gigapan.org/viewGigapanFullscreen.php?auth=033ef14483ee899496648c2b4b06233c

I also counted at least two Graphics among the press. Good to see some classics among all the big glass.

Mike

aduncanson
24-Jan-2009, 16:28
CBS was interviewing some celebrity, (Dustin Hoffman I think, perhaps Steven Spielberg), and pointed out that Annie Leibovitz was there next to him. At that point I looked up and saw a Deardorff 8x10 next to and behind Leibovitz. I think that that is Leibovitz with a small camera next to the Deardorff near the lower right corner of the panarama. Is it Leibovitz's Deardorff? I don't know. I actually think not.

PaulRicciardi
24-Jan-2009, 17:30
Is that maybe David Burnett in the rear press pit (behind the president)?
Looks like a speed graphic with a big lens like an aero ektar, a combination I know he shoots with.

Richard M. Coda
24-Jan-2009, 18:33
Pretty cool... I like finding the attentiveness and facial expressions of political leaders and celebrities. Find Newt Gingrich, Justice Clarence Thomas, etc.

Robert Oliver
24-Jan-2009, 19:55
i found waldo!

tim o'brien
25-Jan-2009, 02:06
There ya go. Makes my Deardorff and Speed feel proud.

tim in san jose

David A. Goldfarb
25-Jan-2009, 05:28
Jerry Spagnoli attended the f:295 Seminar at B&H the day before the inauguration and said he'd be heading down with credentials to make daguerreotypes. That could be him in the leather jacket behind the 'dorff. Looks like his jacket and his chin.

Mike Tobias
25-Jan-2009, 06:24
Daguerreotypes of this inauguration would truly be something! It would sure beat all those rubbish "collectors plates" I see being shamelessly hawked on tv. In addition to the two others, there was this fellow using another Graphic.

Mike

Rafael Garcia
25-Jan-2009, 06:30
I deleted my previous attempt to post the same guy because the posting was not working...darn, you snooze, you loose!

http://i67.photobucket.com/albums/h285/ragc01/wh2.jpg

ericantonio
25-Jan-2009, 07:03
I like the piece of wood or something holding up the front lensboard on that Deardorff :)
I used to work for a catalog house and we had a lot of 'dorffs that need clamps, boxes under sagging bellows, lots and lots of gaffer tape holding them together.
I'd get one in that condition in a NY minute!

David A. Goldfarb
25-Jan-2009, 07:08
Spagnoli in the same jacket with the same camera?--

http://www.jerryspagnoli.com/

Could be.

Frank Petronio
25-Jan-2009, 08:24
That looked like Annie to the left of the Dorf so unless she hired him to make Daguerreotypes for her I doubt it was your friend's. I'd bet she had a couple of assistants along, you know, to do the photography stuff.

David A. Goldfarb
25-Jan-2009, 08:58
Annie's got her own camera around her neck, and the credentialed photographers generally seem to be clustered in a few areas, so I suspect she's not with the 'dorff.

tim o'brien
25-Jan-2009, 11:12
Spagnoli in the same jacket with the same camera?--

http://www.jerryspagnoli.com/

Could be.

Got to tell you, my V-8 doesn't sit on a tripod that small. It sits on a Bogen 3036 and I still worry about stability.

tim in san jose

Vaughn
25-Jan-2009, 14:03
I can't seem to find a way to capture the giga image. but if you go to the next aisle over on the right of the photographers' "tower" and just in back of the fence, there seems to be a fellow praying for his digital camera to come back to life (right next to the half-guy.)

Vaughn

PS...What an amazing image from a technical aspect. And how fun it would have been with my 8x10 and borrowed 24" RD Artar!

mandoman7
27-Jan-2009, 00:07
I can't find the Deardorff. Where is it?

JY

Vaughn
27-Jan-2009, 00:38
I can't find the Deardorff. Where is it?

JY

Start at the bottom on the right side -- go up the image to the wall (cop leaning against it) -- the Dorff is just past the wall.

Vaughn

QT Luong
27-Jan-2009, 02:34
Ironic that not so long ago, LF would produce the ultimate (in terms of detail) image, while now it is mentioned with a hint of a nostalgia, and its practitioners spotted thanks to a new image capture technology that was initially greeted with skepticism and excluded from this forum.

mandoman7
27-Jan-2009, 11:16
Start at the bottom on the right side -- go up the image to the wall (cop leaning against it) -- the Dorff is just past the wall.

Vaughn

Jeez, I would never have found it. Thanks.
JY

mandoman7
27-Jan-2009, 11:29
Ironic that not so long ago, LF would produce the ultimate (in terms of detail) image, while now it is mentioned with a hint of a nostalgia, and its practitioners spotted thanks to a new image capture technology that was initially greeted with skepticism and excluded from this forum.

Given the impact that the digital revolution had on the existing photo business community in retrospect, the skepticism and exclusion seems understandable. That is an amazing image but it has the same shortcoming that many of today's shots from new technology have...anyone who knows knobs could've taken it. Not much of the character of the shooter or subject comes across.

I'm curious now to see what the guy with the Deardorff got for his effort.

JY

David A. Goldfarb
27-Jan-2009, 11:38
I don't see any irony there, and I still think it is justified to regard stitching with a small format camera and a pano head as off topic for the forum. Would it be ironic if we happened to be discussing a high resolution photograph made with Tech Pan and an Xpan? It may be interesting technology, but it's not large format.

This thread isn't really about the technology so much as it is about what the photograph can tell us about who is shooting large format today, and that seems appropriate to the large format forum.

mandoman7
27-Jan-2009, 13:07
I don't see any irony there, and I still think it is justified to regard stitching with a small format camera and a pano head as off topic for the forum. Would it be ironic we happened to be discussing a high resolution photograph made with Tech Pan and an Xpan? It may be interesting technology, but it's not large format.

This thread isn't really about the technology so much as it is about what the photograph can tell us about who is shooting large format today, and that seems appropriate to the large format forum.

Well said, sir.
JY

Pete Roody
27-Jan-2009, 16:18
I'm curious now to see what the guy with the Deardorff got for his effort.

JY

Jerry has an image from this spot on his website now.

lager2142
27-Jan-2009, 19:34
Anyone else think they could be a sniper team?

http://i241.photobucket.com/albums/ff96/RitualKillings/4manteam.jpg

Robert Brummitt
27-Jan-2009, 23:27
How neat is this! I was just telling my boss that if I could I would loved to gone with my big camera. I hope the images come soon!

mandoman7
28-Jan-2009, 11:36
Jerry has an image from this spot on his website now.

Good vantage points were not easy to get, I would guess.

JY

Neil_4793
28-Jan-2009, 14:06
Counter-Sniper Squad. You're expected to see them, and they you. I'm sure some had thier Brownies in thier vest pockets. Hope to see more links to LF pics.
-Thanks