PDA

View Full Version : Linoscan

Noeyedear
24-Jan-2009, 01:33
I can't find any profiles for scanning negatives black and White or colour, neither can I find away to create my own. Is negative scanning not possible with this software?
Kevin

Bruce Watson
24-Jan-2009, 06:25
I can't find any profiles for scanning negatives black and White or colour, neither can I find away to create my own. Is negative scanning not possible with this software?
Kevin

You can't make ICC profiles for scanning negatives. Only trannies are supported. That's why you can't find any scanning targets that are on negative film.

Steven Barall
24-Jan-2009, 08:58
I think that most trannies would say that they don't actually get much support. Oh wait, are we talking about the same thing?

Noeyedear
24-Jan-2009, 10:39
You can't make ICC profiles for scanning negatives. Only trannies are supported. That's why you can't find any scanning targets that are on negative film.

So Linoscan can't do negs, that's a bummer, I was hopeing not to spend out on Silverfast. Even my drum has neg software. Any good third party photoshop plugins for convertion.

Kevin

Brian Ellis
24-Jan-2009, 11:05
I used to own a Linoscan scanner and had no troouble at all scanning b&w negatives (when the scanner worked properly, which wasn't all that often in the year or so I owned it). I can't imagine that it's incapable of scanning color negatives as well, though back then I only worked with b&w. Are you using the software that came with the scanner (can't remembe what it was called)? My scanner used to get hung-up mid-way through the scan a lot of times. When I switched to Vuescan that happened less often.

Bruce Watson
24-Jan-2009, 11:40
So Linoscan can't do negs, that's a bummer, I was hopeing not to spend out on Silverfast. Even my drum has neg software. Any good third party photoshop plugins for convertion.

Kevin

What? Of course it can scan negatives. What it can't do is ICC profile negatives. You don't need a profile to scan negatives.

Noeyedear
25-Jan-2009, 01:10
What? Of course it can scan negatives. What it can't do is ICC profile negatives. You don't need a profile to scan negatives.
WhAt I want to do is scan a negative and get a positive image. Every other scanning software I have has the ability to do this, I can't find a setting in linoscan for that. My old drum scanner hAs various profiles for different colour negative films as does Silverfast, I can tweak these and save as a new profile. Is it possible to do this in Linoscan, If yes where?
Kevin

Bruce Watson
25-Jan-2009, 07:38
WhAt I want to do is scan a negative and get a positive image. Every other scanning software I have has the ability to do this, I can't find a setting in linoscan for that. My old drum scanner hAs various profiles for different colour negative films as does Silverfast, I can tweak these and save as a new profile. Is it possible to do this in Linoscan, If yes where?
Kevin

We seem to be talking across each other. In a color managed workflow, the term "profile" mostly means "ICC profile (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICC_profile)." The International Color Consortium defines very specifically what such a profile is, how it is created, and how it's used.

Some scanner manufacturers started calling internal curves used by their software "profiles" before the concept of an ICC Profile even existed. And this practice has survived somehow, misleading as it may be in today's color managed workflows.

And I think that's the source of confusion here. When you say "profiles" you are talking about compensation curves used internally to the software you are using, not ICC profiles. Yes?

To your newly stated question, I don't know how you can get your software to invert a negative image and remove the orange mask from the image. You might have better luck asking at the yahoo ScanHi-End group. Perhaps there's a Linoscan group also.

Noeyedear
25-Jan-2009, 10:05
We seem to be talking across each other. In a color managed workflow, the term "profile" mostly means "ICC profile (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ICC_profile)." The International Color Consortium defines very specifically what such a profile is, how it is created, and how it's used.

Some scanner manufacturers started calling internal curves used by their software "profiles" before the concept of an ICC Profile even existed. And this practice has survived somehow, misleading as it may be in today's color managed workflows.

And I think that's the source of confusion here. When you say "profiles" you are talking about compensation curves used internally to the software you are using, not ICC profiles. Yes?

To your newly stated question, I don't know how you can get your software to invert a negative image and remove the orange mask from the image. You might have better luck asking at the yahoo ScanHi-End group. Perhaps there's a Linoscan group also.

Bruce,
Thanks, problem solved, I re-installed the software and now have the option. Installing had been a problem as it could not find colorsync at first. It looks to do a very good job with negatives, so far the new/old scanner is delivering sharp well colour sorted images. For anyone interested it's a Heidelberg Linoscan 2400, running Linoscan Elite 6, just bought it for £60. with a Blue & White G3 thrown in. The scanner is A3.
To me a profile is stored information of somethings characteristics or workings or an outline, so I can see the confusion.
Cheers,
Kevin.