PDA

View Full Version : Sinar F or P

Mike V
23-Jan-2009, 12:24
Hey guys,

Im after a Sinar F, but was wondering is it worth the extra money,+£200?

Main use will be architectural, then landscapes....

Thanks

David A. Goldfarb
23-Jan-2009, 12:27
An F is more portable than a P. For architecture and landscape, I'd stick with an F/1/2.

amoebahyda
23-Jan-2009, 13:53
Hey guys,

Im after a Sinar F, but was wondering is it worth the extra money,+£200?

Main use will be architectural, then landscapes....

Thanks
If comparing a F with P, I would take F as it is more sturdy, no need to lock movements or focus and as such no need to worry about drift, assymetric movement that ease refocus after tilting or swinging.

However, both not handy enough for outdoor work of architechtural or landscapes. For such work I prefer to use field cameras like Linhof Technika.

Bjorn Nilsson
23-Jan-2009, 16:43
If comparing a F with P, I would take F as it is more sturdy, no need to lock movements or focus and as such no need to worry about drift, assymetric movement that ease refocus after tilting or swinging.

However, both not handy enough for outdoor work of architechtural or landscapes. For such work I prefer to use field cameras like Linhof Technika.

I recon you're saying that the P is more sturdy etc...
Nothing wrong with the F-series which is sturdy etc. enough, but the P has all the advantages given in the first quoted paragraph, plus that it's quicker to work with.
The downside of the P-series is the added weight. Besides, you cannot fold the camera in the same way as the F.

So, in short, if close to the car, I don't mind my Sinar C. If a bit further from the car I rebuild into an F2. On long hikes I use a Hasselblad :) (unless I already know what I'm about to shoot).

//Björn

Mike V
23-Jan-2009, 17:25
I think I will go for the F and put the saved money towards good glass! Thanks guys,

Peter De Smidt
23-Jan-2009, 18:21
The P series is my favorite large format camera system. I don't like the F. It's just as bulky at the P, but it's not as sturdy or fast to use. The F-standards do make nice lenshade holders for a P system. :)

Sevo
23-Jan-2009, 19:31
The P series is my favorite large format camera system. I don't like the F. It's just as bulky at the P, but it's not as sturdy or fast to use. The F-standards do make nice lenshade holders for a P system. :)

The F2 is reasonably sturdy, and packs up quite a bit smaller than any P - but the plastics rail clamp on the F/F1 front standard (indeed a recycled lens shade holder/long bellows support) has a known tendency to break on heavy lenses and extreme movements. If any, get the F2.

Sevo

David A. Goldfarb
23-Jan-2009, 19:41
I don't think the the front standard clamp on an F or F1 is likely to break due to heavy lenses or extreme movements. I had an F, and it could handle any lens I put on it, including large portrait lenses. There are few movements that could be used in any actual photographic situation that would put any particular strain on the clamp.

It breaks because people overtighten the knob. If you don't overtighten the knob, it doesn't break.

Mike V
24-Jan-2009, 06:05
Thanks for the help/suggestions guys. I didn't realize how heavy the p is. I guess it is unpractical for my particular interests i.e. architecture and landscapes.

Currently trying to find a good deal on an f1/2.

Peter De Smidt
24-Jan-2009, 12:24
I use the P for architecture and landscapes :), but it is very heavy. I do like the F2 significantly better than the F1, and so I'd recommend the former. And to be fair, all of them are nice cameras, and accessories are plentiful and reasonably priced, in contrast to Arca Swiss, for example.

Daniel Unkefer
24-Jan-2009, 12:57
P is too heavy, but a dream to use. I'd take a Norma over an F for location work.

Peter De Smidt
24-Jan-2009, 13:32
If you're close to the car, or can use a rolling cart, it's no big deal at all. On a daily basis, I take a cart with strobes, stands, including c-stands, silks, grip equipment, a full pack of professional camera equipment, silks, location battery backs, Mac Book Pro.... all on location. Compared to that, carrying a Sinar P around isn't a big deal at all. If I need to, I strap a Light Ware case to an external frame backpack, one that's just the frame, no pack.

neil poulsen
24-Jan-2009, 14:57
I have a friend who's been using an F, F1, F2 for decades for architecture. Works very well. Probably a good idea to get the fesnel lens. It's easy to remove for focus.

Reflex viewers are readily available for reasonable prices, if you want one. Also, one can get adaptor boards for smaller lensboards. I believe there's currently on available on EBay for a Lihnof board. (No connection to moi.) They're always popping up.

He uses non-recessed boards for all lengths down to 75mm.

I wouldn't use one (a P or an F) for landscape myself. Not portable. But where setup can be done at the car, the F series cameras seem to work just fine.

Peter De Smidt
24-Jan-2009, 16:30
Be careful if using a binocular reflex viewer with an F or A series camera. Mine used to cause the rear carrier frame to flex a bit with the added weight.

Drew Wiley
24-Jan-2009, 17:12
The f1 front standard DOES wear out prematurely, and the f2 standards are MUCH
more durable, while also providing shift and swing locks separately, as well as noticeably better support for heavy lenses using a lot of rise (architecture). Neither type is as durable as a P or X standard, but these are basically best for studio applications. Of course, the wonderful thing about a Sinar is that you can easily reconfigure components for the specific project at hand, or quickly replace parts as they wear out. And right now you can pick up used Sinars at remarkably low prices. Highly recommended. If you travel or backpack with it, I'd go for the f2.