PDA

View Full Version : Why not to develop film in the kitchen

redrockcoulee
22-Jan-2009, 20:58
Somehow or other our dogs trained us to give them a treat when we finished washing the dishes. Quest passed on last spring and Query is in the twilight of her life but that does not stop her from expecting a treat when dishes are done. But to her dishes are done when I am developing film in the kitchen; and she asks for a treat just about after each agitation. Not that she got any but she tried, and tried and tried. Two tanks at 17 minutes each one after another and she was in the kitchen until I put the second tank into the wash.

At least she doesn't go upstairs when the film is drying

bspeed
22-Jan-2009, 22:15
Ah, but does She give a good, honest critique of your work ?

or do the treats sway her opinion! ?

Daniel_Buck
22-Jan-2009, 22:29
I do. Actually, I develop in my kitchen more than I actually cook in there :) No dogs though :D

John Cahill
22-Jan-2009, 23:15
An article about Paul Bishop, who used the kitchen for a darkroom appeared years ago, I think, in Modern Photography. He had an interesting formula for a metol developer using a small amount of sodium sulfite and some sodium hydroxide. Check out the following:

http://www.gpaulbishop.com/GPB%20History/Articles/article_-_2.htm

eddie
25-Jan-2009, 05:55
i develop in my kitchen and cook dogs there....very convenient!

Bjorn Nilsson
25-Jan-2009, 07:08
Film development in the kitchen should be done with either Caffenol or PC-TEA, depending upon personal taste. :)

Ralph Barker
25-Jan-2009, 08:43
Film development in the kitchen should be done with either Caffenol or PC-TEA, depending upon personal taste. :)

LOL. I'm working on a chili pepper-based developer, but haven't perfected it yet. The film keeps coming out either red or green. ;)

Merg Ross
25-Jan-2009, 11:25
An article about Paul Bishop, who used the kitchen for a darkroom appeared years ago, I think, in Modern Photography. He had an interesting formula for a metol developer using a small amount of sodium sulfite and some sodium hydroxide. Check out the following:

http://www.gpaulbishop.com/GPB%20History/Articles/article_-_2.htm

That article appeared in the premier issue of Darkroom Photography (March/April 1979). I was in his kitchen many times, and it was tiny! Paul was a good friend of my father's and between them they perfected the formula that you mention. The key ingredient was Acetone.

I recall letters to the Editor of DP after that article appeared, pointing out the dangers of using such a volatile liquid in a kitchen environment. Paul was well aware of the dangers but some may not have been. I still use a slight variation of this formula for my sheet film.

His studio was his living room, as you might expect with the kitchen serving as the darkroom. His home was a few blocks from the UC Berkeley campus and he made a good living making portraits of visiting dignitaries. The brick background of his fireplace became his trademark.

Sorry for the digression. I bet most of us have used the kitchen as a darkroom at some point in our careers. However, I never tried it with a dog.

Glenn Thoreson
25-Jan-2009, 13:02
I use the kitchen for film developing, too. My little pooch friend is very accomodating and guards my recliner while I'm busy. :D