PDA

View Full Version : Lee Polarizer?

kev curry
22-Jan-2009, 14:28
Lee Linear (4x4'') Polarizer... I've got conflicting info on what to add ie 1.3 1.5 or 2 stops compensation? Or is it just best to test?

cheers folks
kev

jeongyun
22-Jan-2009, 14:54
I'd use light meter.

Take a light reading
Put the polariser over the probe
Take a reading again
Compare two readings.

I think you could use your digital camera too.

Joanna Carter
22-Jan-2009, 15:14
Polarisers are usually rated at 2 stops. Don't even attempt to use an exposure meter through the filter; different wavelengths of light will polarise more or less and the angle of the filter to the lightsource will make a difference.

Just stick to 2 stops.

kev curry
22-Jan-2009, 15:25
Thanks Joanna will do just that next time I get out with the camera.

VictorChan
26-Jan-2009, 11:49
Polarisers are usually rated at 2 stops. Don't even attempt to use an exposure meter through the filter; different wavelengths of light will polarise more or less and the angle of the filter to the lightsource will make a difference.

Just stick to 2 stops.

Most polarizers reduce light by 1 to 2 stops, depending on the angle of rotation and the scene therein. It is precisely because of the fact that differing amount of light will come thru the filter depending on the angle of the polarizer you happen to be using, therefore, always using a 2-stop setting will at times be overcompensating depending on the angle of your polarizer. That is why putting the polarizer (with the intended rotation angle) in front of the light meter will give you the most accurate reading, as the other poster pointed out. :)

- Vic

Joe O'Hara
26-Jan-2009, 13:23
Kev, I use that same filter. You need to open up 2 stops.

kev curry
26-Jan-2009, 13:40
Thanks Joe I'll give it a go. I should be a poet;-)