PDA

View Full Version : Linhof 617s

mil7230
21-Jan-2009, 09:30
Hi All
First post on this forum after purchase of a Linhof 617s camera.
Used digital cameras (is that swearing on hear) for the last 6 years.
Wanted to get back to thinking about composition, light, landscapes, enjoying photography again, using film, and getting up early.
Anyone use Linhof cameras, what are there quirks, encountered any problems.
And by the way why is 220 film being phased out.
Mike

David A. Goldfarb
21-Jan-2009, 09:45
Indeed, B&H only offers 36 choices (including different sized packages) of 220 films from Kodak and Fuji. You've got--

Kodak 320 Tri-X Pan Professional
Portra 160NC
Portra 160VC
Portra 400NC
Portra 400VC
Ektachrome 100VS

Fujicolor Pro 160C
Fujicolor Pro 160S
Fujicolor Pro 400H
Fujicolor Pro 800Z
Velvia 50
Velvia 100
Velvia 100F
Provia 100F
Astia 100F

It would be nice to have more B&W options in 220, but there is still a lot of variety among color neg and color slide.

mil7230
21-Jan-2009, 09:58
Hi David
I'm sorry forgot to mention I'm in the UK.
I seems from speaking to several labs hear most of the 220 is being phased out.
Mike

David A. Goldfarb
21-Jan-2009, 10:05
You can call Kodak to find out about the status of Kodak products in the UK, and Fujifilm UK runs a forum called http://choose-film.com/ where you might post a thread about the availability of Fuji 220 films in the UK.

mil7230
21-Jan-2009, 13:48
Seems the Linhof 617s is not as popular as I thought
Mike

Brian Vuillemenot
21-Jan-2009, 20:20
Mike

Probably because few people can afford it! Myself, I have a Fuji G617, with the non-removable 105 mm lens. It's a fun camera that produces great results, but if I were to buy a new 617 camera, I'd get a Fotoman so that I can use multiple LF lenses on it. Also a lot less expensive than the Linhof or Fuji, especially since most LFers already have several lenses they can use on it!

By the way, why do you want 220 film? I've always used 120 film on my 617, which works fine. You just have to change the film a bit more often!

roteague
21-Jan-2009, 20:32
Try here: http://www.fujilab.co.uk/catalog/

mil7230
22-Jan-2009, 03:36
Hi Brian
Sorry I never meant to boast about the Linhof, I was exited about owning one. Its not the latest version its a few years old but in -Mint condition. Its got a fixed 90 mm Lens.
That doesn't bother me I've used an Xpan for years so I'm used to working with just one lens.
As regards 220 I've purchased some from www.fujilab.co.uk.
Thanks Robert for your response.
Cheers
Mike

Brian Ellis
22-Jan-2009, 07:39
Mike

You probably would find more interest on a forum devoted to medium format gear. This is a large format forum.

Cesar Barreto
22-Jan-2009, 08:08
Hi, Mike.

Maybe you won't find greater feedback because you asked about quirks and problems about this camera and having used an old model years ago I can't really complain about anything.
I changed to other pano cameras, but just because I prefer changing lenses and having some shift control. Of course, you can find those things on new models, but I wish I could pay for them!
Good luck.

Paul O
22-Jan-2009, 08:25
Hi Mike! I'm interested and in the UK too :cool:

6x17 is a lovely format to work with - just a bit expensive if you go down the Linhof/Fuji route! There is also a "knack" to composing with such an "extreme" format but a bit of practice and you'll soon start seeing the world in "panovision" :D

For a few years I used an Art Panorama 6x17 roll film back with my Ebony and was very pleased with the results; so much so that I treated myself to a really nice (used) Fuji GX617 with a 105mm lens a few months ago. The Fuji is also able to use 220 film and although I've only tried 120 I can certainly see the advantages of more frames/less time wasted changing film. I'm returning to Iceland in April this year and the Fuji will be coming with me (along with the Ebony) and I'm considering buying some 220 Velvia to save time!

One advantage of the Linhof/Fuji over the 6x17 back or the Fotoman-type cameras is that they don't allow the use of 220 roll film as they rely on the "red window" method of frame counting.

The Fuji does have the "benefit" of a regular wind-on lever which makes using it a bit more "friendly" but in reality I find that the process of photographing is very much like LF and so there is no real advantage when the Fuji is on a tripod.

As far as the lens is concerned having a fixed 90mm is not limiting! I found that when I used the 6x17 back I was able to use my lenses from 90mm through to a 300mm (albeit with slight cut-off at this focal length) but tended to stick with the 110mm for 90% of my shots.

You might want to consider a Centre Filter for the 90mm - I found that there is a definite "hot spot" when using transparency film! Trouble is they are expensive!

Another "quirk" - make sure you use a spirit level - tilted horizons stick out a mile on
6x17!

I have also tended to use a ground glass screen to compose the scene and the real disadvantage with the Fuji and older Linhofs is that once the film is loaded then you need to rely on the viewfinder to compose - this is one area where 120 film helps in that I tend to compose on screen, load film, expose and bracket 3 other exposures, unload film ... effectively one roll of film per shot! A roll of 220 would mean 8 exposures of the same scene :D However, the view in the finder is very accurate and this is just my personal choice of shooting.

There are a couple of us in the UKLFPG using this format - have a look at the website/forum at www.lf-photo.org.uk

Good luck Paul

Frank Petronio
22-Jan-2009, 08:37
A friend of mine who does advertising landscape photography tested the Linhof versus the Fuji about 12 years ago and the Linhof was sharper, probably because it held the film tighter than the lenses being better (Fuji lenses are known for their sharpness.) the build quality of the Linhof is just so much nicer than anything else too.

mil7230
22-Jan-2009, 13:54
Thank you Paul for your informative answer, it does come with a center filter.
Possibly a good idea using 120 film sometimes as well.
I will keep you posted, hopefully with some decent landscapes.
I'm sorry for entering this forum with my request, I did a search on google, and this forum came up with a few answers that I needed before I purchased it.
Thanks for all your input.
Cheers
Mike

colker
22-Jan-2009, 14:20
Hi David
I'm sorry forgot to mention I'm in the UK.
I seems from speaking to several labs hear most of the 220 is being phased out.
Mike

In brasil we NEVER had 220. otoh film is being pushed out of the equation here.:( :( :( :eek:

cjbroadbent
22-Jan-2009, 15:13
Had one but the wheels came off. I found loading and advancing the film error-prone. The corners and knobs were sharp and hard on cold fingers. There was no way to check the degrad filter and whether the compendium was in the shot.
But the main gripe: no real up-shift - which is ok for shooting from mountains and cliff-sides but a real pain at ground level. (Linhof now makes a shifting version)
I've been through a Noblex, two Seitz Roundshots (using pc-nikkors on the last one to get shift) and a CamboWide with 6x12 backs. You do need to shift UP with panoramas to clear the foreground while staying level.
I'm stuck with an Imacon Flextight 6x18 scanner so my final and happy solution for panoramas is a 120mm SuperAngulon stuck, heavily up-shifted, on the front of a home-made, fixed-focus, 5x7 box. The scanner takes 13x18 film and reads whichever 6x18 strip looks best.

Bob Salomon
22-Jan-2009, 16:36
(Linhof now makes a shifting version)

No. They make an accessory shift adapter for the T617SIII for use with 72, 90 and the 110mm lenses. It is not a special version of the camera.

Also to be noted is that the lensboards for the shift adapter are different for the shift lenses then for the non-shift lenses so if one has the camera (the III) and wants to add the shift adapter their existing 72 and 90mm lenses would have to be re-mounted in new boards.

To preview the effect of the filter or if the compendium is in the image a ground glass back and an accessory magnifier are also now available.

Finally, the latest version of the Technorama 617SIII now has a darkslide so lenses, as well as the shift adapter, can be changed in midroll.

So experiences with older models will not necessarily be the same with the SIII versions.

cjbroadbent
23-Jan-2009, 01:36
.....So experiences with older models will not necessarily be the same with the SIII versions.
Bob, Thanks. I stand corrected. I've bought and used seven Linhof cameras over the years so I do appreciate the workmanship.

amoebahyda
23-Jan-2009, 14:17
Hi All
First post on this forum after purchase of a Linhof 617s camera.
Used digital cameras (is that swearing on hear) for the last 6 years.
Wanted to get back to thinking about composition, light, landscapes, enjoying photography again, using film, and getting up early.
Anyone use Linhof cameras, what are there quirks, encountered any problems.
And by the way why is 220 film being phased out.
Mike

Desplite it is an expensive camera, there is no focusing aid nor exposure meter. Estimating focus or with hyperfocal setting may work with wide angle lenses like Super-Angulon 5.6/72 XL or 5.6/90 XL; however, it would be a problem for accurate focus with Apo-symmar 5.6/180 or Tele-Xenar 5.6/250. I have to use a Leitz rangefinder to accompany the Linhof 617 for more certainty.

http://i294.photobucket.com/albums/mm100/amoebahydra/Photo%20Equipment/LinhofoutdoorT61772.jpg

Bob Salomon
23-Jan-2009, 14:33
"it would be a problem for accurate focus with Apo-symmar 5.6/180 or Tele-Xenar 5.6/250. I have to use a Leitz rangefinder to accompany the Linhof 617 for more certainty."

That is why there is now a ground glass back again for your camera as well as a loupe adapter that lets the loupe slide to any part of the ground glass and, of course, a focusing loupe.

The Technoramas for years only had a 90mm lens and was originally designed for that lens so a rangefinder was never made.

Most people using a wide field camera like the T617 or the T612 would not use a built-in meter. However you can use any handheld meter equipped with a ground glass probe on the T617 gg.

amoebahyda
23-Jan-2009, 14:50
"it would be a problem for accurate focus with Apo-symmar 5.6/180 or Tele-Xenar 5.6/250. I have to use a Leitz rangefinder to accompany the Linhof 617 for more certainty."

That is why there is now a ground glass back again for your camera as well as a loupe adapter that lets the loupe slide to any part of the ground glass and, of course, a focusing loupe.

The Technoramas for years only had a 90mm lens and was originally designed for that lens so a rangefinder was never made.

Most people using a wide field camera like the T617 or the T612 would not use a built-in meter. However you can use any handheld meter equipped with a ground glass probe on the T617 gg.

Yeh, with a ground glass you get accurate focus but at the cost of mobility as well as a roll of film for every shot. With a rangefinder and with Fuji NPZ, I can take snapshot with T617.

Bob Salomon
23-Jan-2009, 16:11
Yeh, with a ground glass you get accurate focus but at the cost of mobility as well as a roll of film for every shot. With a rangefinder and with Fuji NPZ, I can take snapshot with T617.

The current 617 has a darkslide to let you check focus in midroll or change lenses midroll.

However you only get 4 shots per roll on 120 and many users bracket so they use up a roll on one shot.

Frank Petronio
23-Jan-2009, 21:55
Whatever, that sure is a prudy sweet camera in that photo!

mil7230
24-Jan-2009, 01:53
I've sure been pleased with the responses I've had from this community.
Thanks for all your feedback
If its alright I'll post some pictures soon.
Can't wait to see those big transparencies.
Mike

shadowleaves
8-Jul-2010, 13:41
This information is wrong and misleading. How would you check focus in midroll with the current Linhof 617's darkslide? You can switch lense in midroll though, but to check focus you would have to remove the film. Only a Horseman-style detachable roll-film holder will allow you to do that.

Of course you can carry an extra body to examine the focus, but that's another story...

The current 617 has a darkslide to let you check focus in midroll or change lenses midroll.

However you only get 4 shots per roll on 120 and many users bracket so they use up a roll on one shot.

Bob Salomon
8-Jul-2010, 14:05
This information is wrong and misleading. How would you check focus in midroll with the current Linhof 617's darkslide? You can switch lense in midroll though, but to check focus you would have to remove the film. Only a Horseman-style detachable roll-film holder will allow you to do that.

Of course you can carry an extra body to examine the focus, but that's another story...

You would use the Linhof 617 S III Ground Glass Back and possibly also use the Linhof 617 S III loupe attachment and the Linhof 617 S III loupe that fits onto the loupe attachment so you can slide the loupe across the groundglass and not have to hold it in your hand.

The GG back is especially valuable when using the linhof Technorama Shift back that fits either the older or current (with darkslide) 617 S III as the view finders for the 617 do not compensate for shifts with the shift back. The shift back accepts the 72, 90 and 110mm lenses only on special boards for the 617 S III shift adapter. The 180mm and 250mm can not be used on the shift adapter.

So you are wrong!

The reason you are wrong is that the 617 S III is a film back. When you mount the camera to the tripod the lens is what is mounted to the tripod, not the body. So you insert the darkslide into the body, take the body off the lens and replace the body with the Linhof GG back. Finish focusing and composing just reverse the process, put the 617 S III body back onto the lens and remove the darkslide.

Want a brochure on all this?

shadowleaves
8-Jul-2010, 14:21
Ok I stand corrected. You were right. Thanks for clarifying this!

You would use the Linhof 617 S III Ground Glass Back and possibly also use the Linhof 617 S III loupe attachment and the Linhof 617 S III loupe that fits onto the loupe attachment so you can slide the loupe across the groundglass and not have to hold it in your hand.

The GG back is especially valuable when using the linhof Technorama Shift back that fits either the older or current (with darkslide) 617 S III as the view finders for the 617 do not compensate for shifts with the shift back. The shift back accepts the 72, 90 and 110mm lenses only on special boards for the 617 S III shift adapter. The 180mm and 250mm can not be used on the shift adapter.

So you are wrong!

The reason you are wrong is that the 617 S III is a film back. When you mount the camera to the tripod the lens is what is mounted to the tripod, not the body. So you insert the darkslide into the body, take the body off the lens and replace the body with the Linhof GG back. Finish focusing and composing just reverse the process, put the 617 S III body back onto the lens and remove the darkslide.

Want a brochure on all this?