PDA

View Full Version : For the Soft Focus folk, Plasticca and 2 Petzvals...

Jim Galli
20-Jan-2009, 17:49
...at the National Auto Museum in Reno. Plasticca! (http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Harrahs011409/Harrahs4.html)

3 pages of photos with the Plasticca side by side with a Gundlach Series B Petzval and a Bausch & Lomb Projection Petzval.

As always let me know your thoughts.

Caution: If you do not like soft focus, or old automobiles, <blink>bad page, bad page</blink> :cool:

wfwhitaker
20-Jan-2009, 17:58
Nice, Jim. I rather like the Gundlach and the B&L. The Plasticca images generally are a little fuzzy-wuzzy for my taste, but the rendition of the Lincoln leaper is very nice. I guess with these lenses it depends so much on composition and lighting. Keep having fun!

jb7
20-Jan-2009, 18:14
Nothing very soft about the hard bits of those Jim,
and if you're telling us that they're just lens tests,
well, you're just trying to pull the wool over our eyes-
Lovely pictures- you were obviously in your element-

Oh, and congratulations too-

j

seawolf66
20-Jan-2009, 19:21
Well What Lens Will you be use-ing on that new grandson and mother, Jim: I myself love the Gundlach Series B 14" Not that the Plasticca is Bad just not my tea , And I bet every time your click the shutter on one of those lenses you smile to your self< Lauren

eddie
20-Jan-2009, 19:39
nice work grandpa!

the guys at the museum must love you!

great stuff. enjoyed them as usual. not sure of my comments just yet....i better go have another look.

eddie

Oren Grad
20-Jan-2009, 19:46
I vote for the Gundlach.

goamules
21-Jan-2009, 07:29
I like the Gundlach's also.

cjbroadbent
21-Jan-2009, 22:50
The Plasticca has more character. I'm learning a lot. Might even switch.

Emil Schildt
22-Jan-2009, 07:13
Plasticca RULES!!;)

I of course say this, as this is the only one of the three, I own and use....:o

I like the others also quite a lot, to be fair..

Jim Galli
22-Jan-2009, 07:30
I guess I get a vote :p

Plasticca for me. There are some pleasant surprises. For instance the side view of the Mercer car. When I look at that negative my heart kind of sinks. It looks like everything is so hopelessly smeared that you won't know what things are. But in the positive it's beautiful. My mind sees the square lamp perfectly. Better I think than if it was just a sharp document.

Don't forget I've not made 20 pictures with the lens so the learning curve is huge. For instance I wouldn't do a shot again like the Sky Chief Pump. The empty sides make the rest of it fail. I'll look for things like the Duesenberg hub cap that has something dead center for your eye to latch onto then fairly equal amounts of area in defocus.

All in all it's a really fun lens and the portability is a huge plus.

Joe Forks
22-Jan-2009, 19:15
I like them all Jim! I surely see the subtle differences, but all are pleasing to me! I also agree with your assessment of "sky chief pump".

Best
Joe

Jehu
26-Feb-2009, 08:52
The original Harrah's Automobile Collection used to fill several buildings in Sparks. I used to visit when I was 12 years old. You could spend 3 days in this place if you took the time to look at every car. I really miss it.

Ernest Purdum
26-Feb-2009, 08:57
I had a Kissel White Eagle Speedster that wound up ion the Harrah collection. It was a fun car to drive. I don't know where it is now.

Jim Galli
26-Feb-2009, 08:59
I had a Kissel White Eagle Speedster that wound up ion the Harrah collection. It was a fun car to drive. I don't know where it is now.

Most cool. Do you have any old snaps of it?

frohm
26-Feb-2009, 23:51
...at the National Auto Museum in Reno. Plasticca! (http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com/Harrahs011409/Harrahs4.html)

3 pages of photos with the Plasticca side by side with a Gundlach Series B Petzval and a Bausch & Lomb Projection Petzval.

As always let me know your thoughts.

Caution: If you do not like soft focus, or old automobiles, <blink>bad page, bad page</blink> :cool:
Hi Jim, what you may tell more about Plasticca please? Has a Bokeh similar to Pezval lenses? It seems the lens is rather fuzzy than soft focus, am I right? Thank you! Michal