PDA

View Full Version : Zeiss Planar 135mm 3.5 or Schneider Xenotar 150mm 2.8 in Melbourne, Australia?

joshdaskew
20-Jan-2009, 15:28
Hi, This is my first time here... Have read many posts on here via google searches and then thought that it is time to get in the game. I didn't know where to put this post, so if it is in the wrong spot I apologise and will gladly move it to a more correct spot. Ok, here goes.... I am trying to buy either the Zeiss Planar 135mm 3.5 or the Schneider Xenotar 150mm 2.8 ( mainly for portraits ) but have never seen either and was just wondering if there was anyone in my home city of Melbourne, Australia that may have one ( or both ). Or in Sydney for that matter, as I am often up there... Is there much difference between the two? Ideally I am looking to shoot as wide open as possible but the 135mm could also be useful for landscapes... ( which I shoot more of at this stage ). Because of the very limited coverage range of this lens would I really need a different 135mm for landscapes, architecture etc etc. How much do these lenses go for? I read in a previous post that the 150mm Xenotar can go for around $800 or so? And the Planar up to $2000 for a multicoated version? Any thoughts or advice you could give me would be greatly appreciated. Kind Regards Josh

Neal Shields
20-Jan-2009, 15:41
I am a big fan of Schneider lenses and have quite a few. The last new lenses I purchased were Schneider.

However, I have th 135 Planar and other planars for medium format. At least for black and white, I have found them to have a "snap" that I don't get from the Schneider lenses. It may be more a matter of taste than quality.

I purchased mine used at a "fire sale" price and don't know if I would pay double or tripple over Schneider.

joshdaskew
22-Jan-2009, 13:06
Thanks Neal, Am trying it a bit hard to find either of them...It is purely for the wider aperture that they offer that I am seeking this lens.. Do you ever shoot with the Planar wide open or is it generally stopped down? Is it quite sharp when fully open? Ok, Thanks Josh