PDA

View Full Version : Toyo view 4x5

Mike V
20-Jan-2009, 04:54
Hi guys, I asked a question when I made an introduction thread. I wasnt sure of the camera model. I managed to find something exactly the same on ebay. So my question,

is this model of Toyo any good for a first camera.(will be mainly used for landscapes and architecture)

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TOYO-VIEW-LARGE-FORMAT-5x4-4x5-MONORAIL-CAMERA_W0QQitemZ390021408993QQihZ026QQcategoryZ627QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262

http://i15.ebayimg.com/04/i/001/28/26/b9af_1.JPG

http://i20.ebayimg.com/06/i/001/28/26/ba8a_1.JPG

The one in my local shop is in very good condition, looks very clean, all movements are smooth and controlled. Is there anything in specific I should check on this camera?

It comes with a sironar lens. On the lens it just says sironar. No letters or numbers after it.
Looks like a basic 150mm f5.6 lens. Any advice?

Steve Barber
20-Jan-2009, 07:01
I would suggest that you first look at a field camera, such as the Toyo 45AX or a Shen-Hao, and think about whether their added cost and lesser capabilities are not more than offset by their reduced weight and bulk. You get a lot of features for the money with the mono rail, but you do not need them for the applications you anticipate and the added weight and bulk needed to obtain them will make it very difficult to have the camera where and when you will want to use it. On the other extreme, I would also not recommend the Crown Graphic. Then, even though the cost would be comparable to that of the mono rail, I think you would be giving up too much capability for the added portability .

Gem Singer
20-Jan-2009, 07:30
Check the bellows for pin holes.

In subdued light, extend the bellows fully. Place a light inside (flashlight, etc.). Move the light forward and backward under the folds of the bellows. If you can see tiny specks of light passing through to the outside, there are pinholes in the bellows. They can be repaired, but bring the value of the camera down. A new bellows replacement is expensive.

Newer Sironar lenses contain the letters "MC" in their label. If not, the lens is very old, before multi-coating was used.

All-in-all, Toyo/Omega's are excellent starter LF view cameras. They are bulky and heavy but can be used in the field. I own one, and I think of it as a poor man's Arca Swiss.

Toyon
20-Jan-2009, 09:01
The monorail toyo should sell for a lot less than a field version. I addition it should be more useful for architectural and wide angle photography - provided that your lenses have wide coverage.

Mike V
20-Jan-2009, 09:52
Thank you kindly for your input guys. After more research and speaking with my tutors I think I will go for the Toyo body, I like how it works, nice and sturdy, accurate movements. I will try and pick up a Schneider lens from somewhere else.

Wish me luck!

Ralph Barker
20-Jan-2009, 12:16
Mike - you're looking at an older model of the Toyo monorail here. But, if it is good condition, it should be quite serviceable in situations where the bulk and weight are secondary concerns. The Toyo design is quite modular, and as far as I know, the dimensions of major components (backs, lens boards, bellows, monorails) have remained consistent over the years. Small parts, such as gears, however, may have changed.

The end caps on the rail are easily removed, so the standards can be removed and placed on shorter rails, for example. You might find that particularly convenient for architectural work, or even landscapes, where wider lenses might be used, potentially with a bag bellows, which are commonly available on the used market.

Another point about the Toyo monorail's modularity is that the interface between backs, bellows, and lens boards to the standards is the same. Thus, components can be added together for extreme extensions and such.

Mike V
20-Jan-2009, 12:53
Ralph, thanks for your input. Correct me if I am wrong but it looks like you have the same views on the Toyo. i.e. that it is a good camera for a beginner as long as you dont mind the weight/bulk of it.:)

I have been on location with mono-rails and field cameras for various projects. I know there are times when I will be kicking myself for not getting a field, but then I know if I got a field camera there would be times when I would be kicking myself for not having a mono rail.

I have been thinking about it for a while now and after speaking to my tutors about what we will be doing in future projects at uni, and asking for their recommendation on field vs mono rail. I will most likely be going for the mono rail.

Il let you know how I get on. As mentioned, just got to find a good lens for it!

Gem Singer
20-Jan-2009, 12:53
The model shown in your illustrations has a rotating back and an interchangeable bellows. It is probably a 45F. My camera is a 45E, one model earlier. It and has a reversing back instead of a rotating back and does not have an interchangeable bellows

The 45E can easily be mistaken for the 45F. Check to make sure that the bellows on your camera is interchangeable. If not, the camera is a 45E. It is difficult and expensive to replace the bellows on the 45E, if it has light leaks.

Assuming that the camera you are contemplating is actually a 45F, a bag bellows is available. A shorter 300mm. rail, lensboards, folding focusing hood, compendium lens shade, etc. often come up for sale on eBay.

I use a recessed lensboard for my 90mm. lens on my 45E, since the camera will not take a bag bellows. Works great.

Mike V
20-Jan-2009, 13:17
Gem, thanks also for your input. I will most likely be going to the shop again tomorrow to have another look over it. Like I say it looks just like the one in the ebay advert, I certainly haven't noticed any discernible differences. Thanks for the advice on the 45E/45F models. So here's hoping it is an F because you make it sound like its easier to get parts for it.;)

Gem Singer
20-Jan-2009, 13:49
Mike,

Don't let that stop you. If the camera is a 45E, providing the bellows is intact, most of the parts are interchangeable between the E and F.

If the camera is a 45E, you should be able to purchase it for a better price than the 45F.

You can always sell the lens, if it isn't worth keeping.

Mike V
20-Jan-2009, 15:15
You can always sell the lens, if it isn't worth keeping.

True, I am still leaning towards buying the body only and saving some moeny, then getting a lens elsewhere.

Gem: the lens I mentioned:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SCHNEIDER-SYMMAR-S-150mm-LENS-Good-Condition_W0QQitemZ250356423365QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Photography_Film_Cameras_ET?hash=item250356423365&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1300|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318 (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SCHNEIDER-SYMMAR-S-150mm-LENS-Good-Condition_W0QQitemZ250356423365QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Photography_Film_Cameras_ET?hash=item250356423365&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1300|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318)

raucousimages
20-Jan-2009, 16:28
The E and F had one big problem. The "ears" that the rise/fall gear rod goes through are brittle plastic. If they are damaged the camera is useless. Make sure you have it shipped well insured.

Mike V
20-Jan-2009, 16:51
The E and F had one big problem. The "ears" that the rise/fall gear rod goes through are brittle plastic. If they are damaged the camera is useless. Make sure you have it shipped well insured.

The camera I have my eye on is in the local shop. I have tested it and it seemed ok. Il double check it though and make sure there are no signs of it cracking etc.

Thanks for the pointer!

Mike V
21-Jan-2009, 08:14
Update:

I awoke this morning feeling good as I had made my mind up and was going to get the Toyo View. (F) I gave the shop a call to check they had it in stock still.

Can you believe it! Someone had bought late yesterday. What are the chances! 'Bugger it' I proclaimed.

After speaking to a friend I found out that there is another store across town that specialize in all formats of photography and apparently the last time my friend was in they had a good range of 4x5s.

Off I went and basically if all goes to plan then tomorrow/friday by latest I will be the proud owner of a Sinar F and a cool aluminum case to store it. The lens will be around the 90mm mark, yet to be decided. (They are bringing some in from elsewhere.)

So like I say bad news and good news. :)

Very similar to this: (- few modifications)
http://jcohenphoto.com/images/sinarffrontside.jpg