PDA

View Full Version : Big Bend March 9 - 13, 2009

Joe Forks
19-Jan-2009, 17:26
Just checking to see who might in that area at that time. I have tentative plans to be at the house in Marathon that week, providing my wife can secure that time off work. I'll confirm that as it gets closer.

Joe Forks
10-Feb-2009, 07:44
We opted for a week in June and a week in July instead. Hotter yes but usually start getting some good storms over the mountains by then.

If anyone is heading that way between now and then let me know

David Vickery
10-Feb-2009, 17:06
I sure do wish I could go. I haven't been out there in several years and I miss the desert.

Joe Forks
11-Feb-2009, 10:21
C'mon David, you know you want to! And you probably deserve a trip to the desert. If I don't go once or twice a month I feel deprived. What part of the state are you living?

bigdog
12-Feb-2009, 09:02
We opted for a week in June and a week in July instead. Hotter yes but usually start getting some good storms over the mountains by then.

Another photographer and I were discussing this just last week. He claims the best time to be in Big Bend is late Summer because of the clouds, and I can't imagine going there in August! :eek:

Still, we talked about a trip. We'll see.

David Vickery
12-Feb-2009, 09:42
Hello Joe,
Yes I want to! No doubt about it. But its gonna have to wait a little longer.

I live north of San Antonio in Wimberley, and the more I think about your comment, I believe that I have been deprived by not being able to go to West Texas at least once a month. That sort of thing should be every landscape photographer's natural borne right!

I agree that you will likely get some great clouds in late summer, but you also have higher winds and vicious heat. But really, any time can be either great or terrible depending on the weather and ones motivation level.

Dang it all, it must be nice to have a place in Marathon!

Joe Forks
12-Feb-2009, 11:25
It's really nice David. That town sits at 4000' elevation. Just high enough to where open windows and ceiling fans do the trick during the summer. You still have to cover up at night with lows around 65°F.

Big Dog -The best time just depends. If you like cacti blooms from late March to April would be a good choice.

If the summer rains are good the park really greens up in September and October. I've had some fantastic trips at that time of year.

About 6 years ago we started spending Thanksgiving out there and have experienced some beautiful mild weather but also got slammed with 6" of snow in 2007 up at Marathon. But that was awesome, my kids had never seen snow in San Antonio hahaha.

I'll take it anyway I can get it. I might have to drive out there this weekend.

Darren H
14-Feb-2009, 13:57
Joe-

I'll be heading to BBNP the week of Easter for my annual spring trip. I usually do March but decided to push back a few weeks. About 20 folks from my camera club will be with me.

The lack of rain this winter does not bode well for a bloom but I am hoping to get a few cactus.

Thinking about trying a new route into the park too. Since I am leaving on Good Friday, I want to lollygag and get there on Sunday when most folks will be leaving. So I am thinking of going through Marfa and taking the Pinto Canyon road to Ruidosa and then camping at Chinati Hot Springs or BBRSP on that Saturday.

I have also given thought to going the week of Labor Day and seeing if I could catch some of the 5th season.

Have fun when you get out there.

Joe Forks
16-Feb-2009, 16:27
Darren,
I just got back. It's pretty dry, but Blue Bonnets are springing up at the lower elevations - I saw them at Rio Grande Village and Castolon. Some Daggers are sending up stalks as well, but not the giant daggers at Dagger Flats.

It was windy as all heck on the eastern side of the park. I did find refuge down at Castolon.

I got very few shots with the 8x10 because of the wind, but I think I may have gotten one or two decent ones. I now have to find time to take over the bathroom and develop them.

I 'll try to make it out there when ya'll are out there.

Nathan Potter
17-Feb-2009, 11:59
I've not been out to BBNP for a few years. Last time I stayed in the Gage Hotel in Marathon. Incredibly, on the first morning when I was anxious to drive over to the park I found a long train blocking the road and I had to wait 3 hours for it to move! That soured the whole day.

I ran into a fellow who had a photo gallery in Marathon - I think he was Russian and did nice B&W work around and in the park. I wonder if he is still there and still has his gallery? I was there in August and my digital thermometer read 127F in the shade near the river in Bocquillas (sp.) Canyon. Couldn't do much photography under the circumstances. But it's a spectacular place for desert plants and eroded rock structures. The Chisos Basin (5000 ft. +) was manageable for temperature in August - say around the low 90s.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

Joe Forks
17-Feb-2009, 15:53
Nate,
I know who you're talking about - I'm going to butcher his name though, and for that I apologise in advance - Luc Novovitch - or something like that.

I'm sorry have not had the pleasure to meet him yet, but I have met his wife who is a very pleasant lady. Luc no longer has a gallery unless I am really in a darkroom, but is fine art photography is now available through the Highland Gallery in Marfa.

Dan Klepper Jr, son of the late Sports and Outdoor writer by the same name now has a gallery located in a back room of the Chisos Gallery there on main street. He does some interesting stuff and is super nice guy to visit with.

Wow about the train! If I'm not mistaken there's just one set of tracks right there, as opposed to cross tracks so I assume that would be very unusual to have a train sitting there for three hours. I've seen that in plenty of other locations, but never right there, fortunately.

Darren H
18-Feb-2009, 04:10
Joe-

Glad you got away to the Big Bend country. Being in Big Bend is alot like fishing, there ain't no such thing as a bad day. :-)

Glad to hear that the flowers are fighting despite the dry conditions. with any luck a little rain by the end of March will speed conditions along.

I'll be camping at Cottonwood most of that week after Easter so if you are in the neighborhood look for tripods.

Nate, August is pretty warm in BBNP down in the desert. Much better in the Chisos. Sorry about that train, that would annoy me too if you were so close and just could not get there.

Bruce Schultz
18-Feb-2009, 06:56
I understand that Luc has moved to Nashville. His gas station/gallery has been replaced with a bistro.

venchka
4-Mar-2009, 13:28
I posted this in Travel. What advice would you all offer?

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?t=46530

Thanks for your help.

Wayne

sanking
4-Mar-2009, 22:27
You have the name right. He had a gallery for some years in Marathon called the Sotel Gallery. I visited him in Marathon, and spent a day in the Big Bend with him. I think he is now living in Cookeville, Tenn.

Luc was not Russian, but French. Born in Morocco, educated in Switzerland and France, now a US citizen. He has worked in many places as a photojournalist and covered a lot of important events. He apparently fell in love with the Big Bend area and resided some years there.

Sandy King

Nate,
I know who you're talking about - I'm going to butcher his name though, and for that I apologise in advance - Luc Novovitch - or something like that.

I'm sorry have not had the pleasure to meet him yet, but I have met his wife who is a very pleasant lady. Luc no longer has a gallery unless I am really in a darkroom, but is fine art photography is now available through the Highland Gallery in Marfa.

Dan Klepper Jr, son of the late Sports and Outdoor writer by the same name now has a gallery located in a back room of the Chisos Gallery there on main street. He does some interesting stuff and is super nice guy to visit with.

Wow about the train! If I'm not mistaken there's just one set of tracks right there, as opposed to cross tracks so I assume that would be very unusual to have a train sitting there for three hours. I've seen that in plenty of other locations, but never right there, fortunately.