PDA

View Full Version : Products rising from Polaroid the ashes?

Tyler Boley
19-Jan-2009, 13:23
http://www.the-impossible-project.com/beta/

Tyler

Eric Woodbury
19-Jan-2009, 13:31
All the best -- lead on.

darr
19-Jan-2009, 14:24
Thanks for posting this -- my fingers are crossed!

IanMazursky
19-Jan-2009, 15:17
What an amazing undertaking! The website is also fantastic.
I love the pictures of the plant. I wish them all the best.

Nathan Potter
19-Jan-2009, 18:35
Interesting. It would appear their mission is only to produce integral pack film by utilizing at least some new parts subcontractors. These are apparently good technical people with the needed specific experience. Sata is probably the kind of guy that could be successful but they gotta have a realistic business plan in order to be able to survive a limited interim financing deal. They need to consider the age and maintainability of the assembly equipment.

Certainly not enough details about the plan are revealed to give me a warm feeling considering the current competitive digital mania.

I wish em luck.

Nate Potter, Austin TX.

cdholden
19-Jan-2009, 18:40
I couldn't help but notice in the top left corner "Supported by Ilford Photo Harmon Technology Ltd."
I'd be curious to know just what and how much support they provide. Yet another reason to support those investing time and effort in the craft.

falth j
19-Jan-2009, 19:07
Initially, the website announcement is a welcome piece of news for all of us, and sounds great…

A first glance at the impossible project website, leads one to wonder if the only film that will be produced is film for ‘vintage Polaroid cameras’ as their statements declare.

Under the, SUPPORT US tab on their website is a red arrow pointing to some words that may or may not be indicative of their intended direction:

“Support us re-invent integral film for vintage Polaroid cameras.”

And elsewhere in the mission statement page the follow words are:

“We aim to re-start production of analog INTEGRAL FILM for vintage Polaroid cameras in 2010.”

From information presented so far, one will have to wonder if they intend to include film for medium and large format cameras in some form, in addition to the production of film for ‘vintage Polaroid cameras’.

Tongue in cheek:

Hopefully, the film will clearly demonstrate better clarity than the website pictures illustrate…

christopher walrath
19-Jan-2009, 19:43
This is popping up EVERYWHERE this last week. After conversing with the good folks at I b v it seems as though, at least initially, that they are mainly focused on consumer packs like the 600 type film packs. However I have expressed interest to them for reformulating the 4x5 et al sheet films (example: P/N 55 4x5 sheet which I use). Creative Image Maker has officially taken an interest in the project and we are anxious to see where this goes.

Gene McCluney
20-Jan-2009, 01:34
Initially, the website announcement is a welcome piece of news for all of us, and sounds great…

A first glance at the impossible project website, leads one to wonder if the only film that will be produced is film for ‘vintage Polaroid cameras’ as their statements declare.

From information presented so far, one will have to wonder if they intend to include film for medium and large format cameras in some form, in addition to the production of film for ‘vintage Polaroid cameras’.

The plant they purchased only made integral film. Peel-apart film is entirely different in composition. The equipment they have in the plant can only do integral film. All the peel-apart film was produced in other Polaroid owned plants.

vinny
20-Jan-2009, 09:53
The plant they purchased only made integral film. Peel-apart film is entirely different in composition. The equipment they have in the plant can only do integral film. All the peel-apart film was produced in other Polaroid owned plants.

That's what I read as well. I gathered that that's the only thing they will be capable of producing unless they acquire more equipment and know how. I don't see much of a demand for 600 films. Read the details before you get your hopes up about other types of films.

Brandon Draper
20-Jan-2009, 16:18
That's what I read as well. I gathered that that's the only thing they will be capable of producing unless they acquire more equipment and know how. I don't see much of a demand for 600 films. Read the details before you get your hopes up about other types of films.

True, the only film I would be interested in would be the peel apart type.

icefan13
20-Jan-2009, 17:38
I couldn't help but notice in the top left corner "Supported by Ilford Photo Harmon Technology Ltd."
I'd be curious to know just what and how much support they provide. Yet another reason to support those investing time and effort in the craft.

Ilford will be supplying the photo-sensitive parts of the film.

I'd asked them about type 55 & was told that the equipment to manufacture type 55 was not available, but if it becomes available, and someone buys it, they would be happy to provide the photosensitive parts of that as well.

Gordon Moat
20-Jan-2009, 20:06
I sent them a quick message using their web form. I am interested in whether they can make a film that manipulates somewhat like the old SX70 TimeZero films. If I recall correctly, the SX70 Blend film was made under contract at this location.

I have exhibited many SX70 and Polaroid manipulations, including appearing in a couple books on Polaroid artwork. While much of this is not the typical large format film, the approach can often utilize a large format camera. At least the film/print sizes are near 4x5 dimensions.

I would definitely buy and use a new film that I could pop into an SX70 camera, and then manipulate after the shot. Maybe that's a bit strange, but once you try it this can be fun.

Ciao!

Gordon Moat Photography (http://www.gordonmoat.com)

D. Bryant
20-Jan-2009, 21:28
I would definitely buy and use a new film that I could pop into an SX70 camera, and then manipulate after the shot. Maybe that's a bit strange, but once you try it this can be fun.

For an introductory product I think this would be a great idea and widely accepted. I know I would like to use my SX-70 camera once again, for manipulations and for straight photographs.

Don Bryant