PDA

View Full Version : Agfa Ansco 5x7

Pete Watkins
19-Jan-2009, 06:41
I have an Agfa Ansco 5x7 on its way across The Atlantic as we speak :-). I need a bit of help, what "bits" are available for this camera? It has a 5x7 back, are 4x5 reducing backs around? The camera has no front tilt, has anybody modified one of these cameras to allow front tilt? Will my B&J lensboards fit or have I got to make yet another size lensboards? I would appreciate any other advise thats available.
Many thanks,
Pete.

frank hoerauf
19-Jan-2009, 07:04
hey pete, there is a guy on this forum in the for sale section selling a 5x7 to 4x5 reducing back for an ansco right now, check it out. he probably could answer all your questions about your "new" 5x7 thats coming your way as he already owns one. hope this helps..............frank

Pete Watkins
21-Jan-2009, 10:16
Thanks, Frank. That bloke is/was selling the later grey painted version. I'm getting the older polished /laquered version. All I really want to know is what size lens boards this camera will take, are 4x5 reducing backs available for this older model and are any other interesting "bits" available?
Thanks,
Pete.

Gene McCluney
21-Jan-2009, 10:36
In general any accessories you find will be on the used/auction market, as these cameras have not been made in decades. There was a 4x5 reducing back, yes, as well as a sliding tripod block. It would be easy to make a 4x5 back from a surplus Agfa/Ansco 5x7 back and any wood based 4x5 back, regardless of brand. Lensboards are going to have to be sourced used, or you make them yourself, or get a wood craftsman to make them for you, as they are just made from wood. I believe there was also a sliding 5x7 back that allowed you to take 2 3 1/2 x 5 images on one sheet of 5x7 film. If looking for spare parts, don't be put-off by the later gray colored cameras, they are basically the same, it was just cheaper to finish in gray paint than varnished wood. There is a site (that I can't seem to find at the moment) I think called Photo Excentric (I could be wrong about name) that has a complete Agfa/Ansco vintage catalog scanned on online, which would show you all the accessories that were available at one time years ago.

wfwhitaker
21-Jan-2009, 11:28
Virtually all of the 5x7 Agfa cameras I've seen used 5 1/4" lens boards. The lip of the lens board is thicker than comparable Wisner lens boards, which are also 5 1/4", so the two are not interchangeable. While original lens boards may possibly be found, very serviceable boards can be made from 3/8" Baltic birch or similar plywood. It's possible to have someone make three-piece lens boards from cherry and have them stained to match the camera. The cameras were themselves made from cherry, I believe. I've made boards both ways and the plywood boards work just fine and are easier to make while the three-piece boards look nicer. Original Agfa boards have a thin round bead on the left and right side running vertically the length of the board.

I have a 5x7 very similar to what yours sounds like - older lacquered finish, no front tilt and brass hardware. I've never considered modifying the front to include tilt. There were variations in the cameras; you might keep your eyes open for one which has tilt, although I don't know for sure that it existed in 5x7. The 8x10 Agfa's can be found either with or without tilt.

I'm not aware of many accessories or "bits" for the camera. No doubt a 4x5 reducing back was available, but you'd do just as well to find an old Graflok back and adapt it to a wood panel to fit. Or possibly you could find another wooden 4x5 back which could be trimmed or adjusted to fit. Again, there were manufacturing variations in the Agfa cameras as with most products, so just because something says "Agfa" doesn't mean it's going to fit. I have Agfa backs which will fit one Agfa camera, but not another. Make sure to check dimensions and hardware requirements before you put down your money.

John Cahill
21-Jan-2009, 13:49
I believe there was also a sliding 5x7 back that allowed you to take 2 3 1/2 x 5 images on one sheet of 5x7 film.
Yes, that's correct. I have one for my 5x7 Agfa-Ansco.

And the lens boards are not hard to make, as was pointed out.

IanG
22-Jan-2009, 01:38
Pete, hopefully when I'm next in the UK we're making a front tilting lens board for a 10x8 Agfa Ansco, and also one for a 5x7 Agfa Ansco, I'll be working with a Birmingham based photographer.

Ian

Pete Watkins
22-Jan-2009, 15:53
Ian,
Nice to hear from you. I havn't seen the camera yet and I'm expecting a few minor problems (mainly in the bellows department). I've got a 4x5 back on the way from the States as well, but when I take owenership I'll be in touch with you. Ansco's seem to have a very good reputation and I really seem to think that front tilt would put the icing on the cake.
Best wishes,
Pete.

Pete Watkins
23-Jan-2009, 01:48
Thanks to everybody for their help.
Pete.

IanG
23-Jan-2009, 11:50
Pete, both Ansel Adams & Brett Weston used Agfa Ansco 10x8's, there were the best available US made camera of their type before WWII.

I'll PM you with details of what we are proposing to make closer to the time of my next trip back to the UK, probably in late March or early April.

Ian

goodfood
23-Jan-2009, 19:34
IanG, I use Agfa 8X10, with front tilting. Interesting to know how to modify it on the lens board. Can you show with pictures or drawings? Thanks for you help.

IanG
24-Jan-2009, 01:36
IanG, I use Agfa 8X10, with front tilting. Interesting to know how to modify it on the lens board. Can you show with pictures or drawings? Thanks for you help.

You say your camera has front tilt ? If that's the case you don't need to make any modifications.

The way the bellows are attached make it difficult to modify the front standard to allow tilt, if it's not already there, so you need to make a lens board that allows front tilt instead.

I can send you the drawings when they are finalised.

Ian

Nick_3536
24-Jan-2009, 02:00
Thanks, Frank. That bloke is/was selling the later grey painted version. I'm getting the older polished /laquered version.

Finish doesn't indicate age. Features do. For some reason the grey were the higher end models. Both that and the wood finish were sold during the same times.

From memory it's something like this.

If it's labled Ansco and no front tilt then it's pre 1926. I think that's when Agfa bought Ansco.

Then labeled Agfa/Ansco with no tilt. Until late/mid 30s?

Then tilt. Still labeled Agfa/Ansco.

Then post the government takeover they were labeled only Ansco until the end.

IanG
24-Jan-2009, 05:13
Finish doesn't indicate age. Features do. For some reason the grey were the higher end models. Both that and the wood finish were sold during the same times.

From memory it's something like this.

If it's labled Ansco and no front tilt then it's pre 1926. I think that's when Agfa bought Ansco.

Then labeled Agfa/Ansco with no tilt. Until late/mid 30s?

Then tilt. Still labeled Agfa/Ansco.

Then post the government takeover they were labeled only Ansco until the end.

All the Agfa Ansco's made after the US Government seized control were painted Grey, they also differ & weren't as well made either.

Ironically the pre WWII models (that is pre the US joining the war half way through) were offered in two finishes, natural varnished wood or grey and the grey was the deluxe more expensive finish. All the Grey models I've seen for sale have all been the later models made under Government control.

Agfa Ansco 5x7's & 10x8's were available with & without front tilt, the catalogues aren't entirely accurate.

Ian

Pete Watkins
24-Jan-2009, 12:09
Oh Ian,
Don't wind 'em up. They're soon gonna be on about some "tea party" that we didn't cover in history in school but they seem to think is / was of some consequence.
Tom Paine was one of ours! Remember this!
Pete.

goodfood
24-Jan-2009, 12:32
Oh, Ian, typing error, my 8X10 is without front tilt. Thanks

Gene McCluney
24-Jan-2009, 20:35
Here you go. This complete online vintage 1941 Agfa/Ansco brochure shows everything, all the accessories, all the features, all the models. This would be the definitive reference. http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/agfa_1.html

IanG
25-Jan-2009, 01:39
Gene, unfortunately that catalogue has errors. For instance neither of the two different the camera's on page 10 are Commercial View models, both are the Universal View (page 6). The bellows are too small - not enough folds, the top camera doesn't take an extension rail, and in the second is two short at full extension.

I have both models :D

Ian

Gene McCluney
25-Jan-2009, 10:33
Gene, unfortunately that catalogue has errors. For instance neither of the two different the camera's on page 10 are Commercial View models, both are the Universal View (page 6). The bellows are too small - not enough folds, the top camera doesn't take an extension rail, and in the second is two short at full extension.

I have both models :D

Ian

I think the catalog is correct for what was offered in 1941. Of course, since this line was made for several decades, there were sure to have been some changes and differences over time. The OP was interested in knowing what "bits" and "accessories" were available for the 5x7 camera. I think the catalog covers this fairly well.

John Cahill
25-Jan-2009, 11:01
Ironically the pre WWII models (that is pre the US joining the war half way through)

Ian[/QUOTE]

We only got in to help out afer Herr Hitler obliged by declaring war on the U.S. We got in big time on the ground on June 6, 1944. He did not need to declare war on the USA: the folks in Binghamton would have continued supplying parts to him for his Agfa-Ansco cameras! :D

mandoman7
25-Jan-2009, 11:06
There are always anomalies with crafted items from the early 1900's such as cameras (or musical instruments where I have more expertise). A significant component of those production times was the ability to accommodate special orders without much added cost, so individual examples can't be relied upon to draw conclusions about production.

When I used to get into these discussion with my old mentor he would occasionally stop me and say, "its time for you to go make some pictures, young fella", and I occasionally followed his advice...
JY

Doug Webb
31-Jan-2009, 13:35
I have an Agfa Ansco 5x7 with front tilt, a gray model, and an 8x10 without front tilt, a varnished model. One workaround for front tilt is to lower or raise the front of the camera and then tilt the back, I think all Agfa Ansco cameras have back tilt, and I think this was considered by some to be more essential than front tilt, since I think the workaround was pretty commonly used. The modification that most people make to an Agfa Ansco camera is to make a cut in the board at the base of the front so that the camera can swing as well as shift. All of the Agfa Ansco cameras I have seen had front shift. The way to convert the camera is obvious if you look at the way it is built. One option that was available at the time was a stabilizer, a rod that clips on to the top of the front and rear standards to keep the camera square and stable. You may notice, particularly if you extend the bellows near to full extension, that the top of the front standard seems to want to tilt backward. I love these cameras, and wish I had more time to use them.
Doug Webb