PDA

View Full Version : Color neg scanning - Silverfast

mrladewig
18-Jan-2009, 23:06
I'm scanning in silverfast Ai, current version on an Epson 4990.

In this case the example was shot in 35mm, but I would have the same issue with 4X5 C-41, which I've recently started to use.

I'm wondering why the resulting images look as if they were painted in watercolor, if the effect is normal and if my method can be improved to reduce this effect.

This scan was made using negafix and scanned in 16 bit color. The white and black points (actually color high and low points) were applied manually inside the negafix panel. I find this color patching or blocking (see crop) to be fairly common with my C-41 scans, especially with low contrast films, but it is more obvious in some situations than others. In this case the film was Fuji Pro160S. I suspect the A/D converter in scanner is kicking out a number based on its complete dynamic range, then the software is assigning a finished value. But since the data needed comes in a very small segment of the histogram there is very little variance in the raw values.

Thanks in advance for any guidance on the issue. I'd like to use color negative in more situations if I can master this issue.

Mel-

Henry Ambrose
19-Jan-2009, 07:44
I think you must be referring to the scales of bark that look single toned?

I'd try pulling out the black and white points a bit. A slightly steeper tone curve might help too.

Tyler Boley
19-Jan-2009, 10:12
there is a noise/grain filter, might be called GANE?... make sure it is off, and any sharpening, which is on by default.
If you want to do any of these things, do them later in Photoshop or with other tools, or not at all...
May be relevant to what you are seeing, sorry if not.
Tyler