PDA

View Full Version : Type 55 Longevity

JohnGrey
18-Jan-2009, 04:19
I apologize if this is a common question, but I've the opportunity to purchase a bulk of Type 55 but can find little information as to its longevity when stored and have limited experience with other P/N films in this regard. Does anyone have any experience with long-term storage of Type 55? Thanks in advance for any information.

Arne Croell
18-Jan-2009, 04:23
In my experience, anything more than 1-2 years past expiration date is a gamble with respect to even development. The film is not the problem, its the "goo" (i.e. the chemicals) in the pod.
Also, Polaroid cannot be frozen (same reason, the chemicals in the pod), only refrigerated.

JohnGrey
18-Jan-2009, 04:25
In my experience, anything more than 1-2 years past expiration date is a gamble with respect to even development. The film is not the problem, its the "goo" (i.e. the chemicals) in the pod.
Also, Polaroid cannot be frozen (same reason, the chemicals in the pod), only refrigerated.

I'd understood that that could be a problem. Is there an optimum temperature at which they can be stored?

JohnGrey
18-Jan-2009, 04:27
Also, I've seen it advertised on Polapremium for a rather impressive sum and I'd also heard that the Impossible Project is hoping to ramp up in the coming year. Do you think it likely that Type 55 will be among their products?

Arne Croell
18-Jan-2009, 04:42
As cold as possible without freezing. Of course you'd want a little safety margin to take care of errors of the refrigerator temperature sensor, so 40F is probably not bad.

Bill_1856
18-Jan-2009, 07:06
Put it in the refrigerator, not the freezer, and definitely store it FLAT. Before using it be sure that it's had 24 hours to warm up, and GENTLY kneed the chemical packet through the envelope before using it.
I've had some which was good for 5 years after expiration, but generally 2 years is the max that it can generally be trusted. Quite a lot of it, in fact, goes bad before it's even out of date, especially the color films!
Since going digital 5 years ago, my only 4x5 work has been done with Polaroid B&W materials. I'm really going to miss it (still have 1 1/2 boxes of #52 in the fridge, and a few sheets of #55.)

sgelb
18-Jan-2009, 08:41
Ive been shooting a box of 3-4 year old 59. no issues.. a little uneven, but i like that.

vinny
18-Jan-2009, 09:43
John is asking about type 55 p/n, which is quite different than 59. I've successfully shot sheets of 55 that were stored at room temp (southern California) for 6 years. The stuff I'm using now (exp 04)has been cold stored until this fall and it's fine. Maybe I'm just lucky. As for the Impossible Project, not to throw the thread off, read they're info which says integral film for vintage cameras. Nothing is mentioned about sheet films.

Jan Pedersen
18-Jan-2009, 09:50
If the price for the P/N55 bulk is right then i would not worry to much, should the "goo" turn bad then you can develop the negative in your normal process. This will of course take a little bit of testing but should still make some nice negatives.

Allen in Montreal
18-Jan-2009, 09:57
I may have been lucky, but I just finished exposing my last boxes from a batch dated 1995! The success rate was lower than I would like, around 1 out every three sheets as I recall, I did not make notes but I posted on the day I shot the last of that batch. I pulled out a few nice frames with the last sheets. Some of these were not cold stored.

I am now exposing my batches dated 1999 to 2003 with near 100 percent success rate.

I recently sold of three boxes of 2005 dated film to help fund 2009 dates boxes to ensure I have enough for as long as possible. It is a great film and if stored flat, and cold, it will last a very long time.

If I had only T55 and TXP for the rest of my shooting days I would be a happy camper.
lets pray that TXP never goes the route of T-55.

VictoriaPerelet
18-Jan-2009, 11:29
Problem with #55 is that after some time chemical pocket will either dry out or leak.

Even after chemical pocket dries out you can salvage negative part (which lasts pretty much forever).

You can develop negative part in tray or Jobo expert drum (neg is bigger than 4x5 will not fit tank hangers or Jobo 25XX) using standard B/W chemistry.

Here's example:
http://www.victoriasphoto.com/Notes/Polaroid_55/

Positive part is harder to salvage - it is not light sensitive. Way it works it receives developed particles from neg to form image. One may try to sandwich both during developing, but I haven't tried that.

Victoria

JohnGrey
18-Jan-2009, 12:45
Thanks so very much to everyone that responded. I've purchased 8 boxes of it, all of it expiration at 1/2009, so I should be fine to shoot that for at least the coming year. Thanks again!

Keith Tapscott.
18-Jan-2009, 12:51
Perhaps in the fullness of time, this product along with others might be available again one day.
http://www.the-impossible-project.com/beta/

Carioca
18-Jan-2009, 14:11
Keep it dry.
I had 20 packs of Type 55 (= 400 sheets) when I was living in Brazil, a few years back.
I had stocked them at room temperature with 50-80% rH. A year later I had to dump it all because the humidity made the neg stick to the positive.

I was very, very upset...