PDA

View Full Version : Collecting Photography Books

Jim Becia
17-Jan-2009, 10:48
I have a few books that I have purchased over the years. One in particular, Roman Loranc's Two Hearted Oak has appreciated in price (not that I'm going to sell.) I also have Sexton's Recollections, and a few others - Robert Frank's - The Americans and one of Eggleston's (both new editions). Seeing that collecting photos by some of these photographers can be rather expensive, I would like to get a little collection going of books (affordable ones at that.) I'd like to hear from all of you who you might recommend. I'm not much into "post modern" stuff as a rule although I will look at any suggestions. I recently looked at the new book by Zoe Strauss and was extrenmely disappointed even though Zoe has been annointed by the photo critics.

Loranc has a new book coming out this spring and I have my name on one of them. Mind you, not looking to make any money, just want to do some collecting of some of those photographers that I might like. So any suggestions are appreciated. Knowns, unknowns, let me hear your suggestions. Thanks. Jim Becia

h2oman
17-Jan-2009, 12:01
Jay Dusard's Open Country works well for me. Good if you like expansive western B&W landscapes NOT generally featuring bizarre rock formations and NOT basing every shot around a "near-far" composition. Not that I'm entirely opposed to either, but I sometimes feel a bit oversaturated with those things. The problem seems worse for color that B&W.

Purchasing this is a bit out of my price range, but the college where I work will check it out to me for 6 months at a time unless someone else calls for it, so I check it out about once a year.

Michael N. Meyer
17-Jan-2009, 12:15
No specific recommendations, but a couple of resources for finding interesting photography books:

A great resource for photo book collectors is Photo Eye. Its online magazine, weekly e-newsletter and online bookstore are great ways to stay on top of new releases and names you might otherwise have missed. Photo-eye.com

Schaden.com is a German bookstore which also has an e-newsletter and keeps the pulse of all things photographic--especially for European photographers that have little visibility here in the States it is a great source. Markus is also pushing into publishing under the White Press imprint.

If you make your way to NYC, Dashwood Books is a fantastic bookstore that deals almost exclusively with photo-books. Its website is also good for keeping on top of the constantly evolving photo-book world. Online: Dashwoodbooks.com

Between these three photo book dealers, if you can't find it it isn't out there.

-m

Tony Karnezis
17-Jan-2009, 14:19
I would take a look at anything from Lodima Press.

http://www.lodimapress.com/

Jim Becia
17-Jan-2009, 14:53
I'm pretty familiar with Photoeye and have them bookmarked. Have a couple of books that I'm ready to get. I had forgotten about Lodima Press. Matter of fact, Michael Smith has a new book coming out soon and they are taking pre publication orders from what I can gather. Thanks for the info. Jim

neil poulsen
17-Jan-2009, 15:04
1st Edition of Decisive Moment by Cartier-Bresson. :)

I don't know that one really collects photo books for their value. Some are valuable, like the above. (I think it's valuable.)

Photo books (non-technical) are personal. So of course, go for what you like. Find some new/used bookstores that have a good photo section and frequent it on a regular basis. It's nice if they have a cart for recent arrivals; then, you don't have to peruse the whole collection every time. In Portland, we have an excellent book store with a huge photo section in Powell Books. Probably the largest independent bookstore in the U.S. Or, one of the largest.

You can find some surprises. I found a signed copy of Halsman's Jump Book. Kind of neat. Or, a copy of a Deardorff book on view camera photography that's worth about $75 on the used market. Another I found is a monograph of photographs by Thomas Alcorn published in Italy. He died at 17 and wasn't well-known. But, the book contains some first-rate, very appealing photographs of Italy during the 70's. Another neat book I purchased recently is 60's by Avedon. I got it for $35 new. People who grew up in this time period might like this book. Lot's of commentary by many personalities of that era. Lately, I've been collecting a few books by William Mortenson. Ansel Adams intensely disliked him. But, Mortenson's expose for the shadows and develop for the highlights is the foundation of A.A.'s zone system.

One's I missed. A signed copy of Chris Burkett's Limited Edition, leather bound Intemations of Paradise with a signed 11x14 print for $400. Copy of national parks book with original Edward Weston print of Tanaya Lake signed by Cole for $80. (I'm too embarrassed to explain.)

I also look for reproduction quality, or better, reproduction appeal. I'm in it for the photographs, so that makes a big difference. Of course, if I find something I think is collectable and like the images, I'll pick it up at a reasonable price. For example, I found an architecture book from the 20's. Probably very crude technology. But, the images are truly excellent with great highlights. Don't know how they did it.

Look for big names like Weston(s), Adams, Cunningham, Minor White, Arnold Newman, etc. There are books and monographs connected with Aperture that are excellent. Another set worth mentioning is the original, many volume Time-Life series on Photography. (Not the smaller, subsequent edition.) The list goes on.

Good luck. Find some gems.

QT Luong
17-Jan-2009, 15:36
Rich topic, worthy of a number of books in itself. So... if you are interested in books deemed critically significant, I recommend you take a look at the pair "The photobook: a history" by Parr/Badger. Andrew Roth's "Book of 101 books" is also great, although more narrow, however it's gone out of print and often sells for $800. This price illustrates the fact that some people do collect books for their value. In fact, the vintage photo book is emerging as the new frontier in collecting.

A favorite online resource is Jeff Ladd's blog at: http://5b4.blogspot.com/
Recently, there was a good series on The Online Photographer. I will give you a link to the last one, since it includes all others in the series, and Geoff has a classical taste that may match yours: http://theonlinephotographer.typepad.com/the_online_photographer/2008/09/by-geoff-wittig.html

Zoe's Strauss America is not post-modern (the quintessential post-modern book is Cindy Sherman's "Untitled Film Stills", currently available in reprint) and I didn't like it that much. The publisher claimed it would be one of the most important books of 2008, but if you look at the best photobooks of 2008 book feature on photoeye (http://photoeye.com/magazine/Bestof2008/2/) you'll see it actually made it to only one list.

For something somehow in the same sensibility, but better esthetically realized, look at the books of Alec Soth. Something that you'll probably like is the recent Joseph Koudelka monograph, which was amongst my favorites purchases of last year. The Aperture edition is out of print and kind of expensive, but the Thames and Hudson is identical and affordable. Only problem is that it might prompt you to look for his individual photobooks, which are quite expensive. If looking just for beauty, the Michael Kenna titles are perenial favorites. The reproductions are the same size as the original prints.

QT Luong
17-Jan-2009, 15:54
1st Edition of Decisive Moment by Cartier-Bresson. :)

I don't know that one really collects photo books for their value. Some are valuable, like the above. (I think it's valuable.)

It's never been reprinted. Of course, it is valuable, but I was surprised to learn that some titles published in the 21st century are (nearly) as valuable. We're talking here about plain trade editions.

David Spivak-Focus Magazine
18-Jan-2009, 09:48
I hate to sound biased, but Rabbi Yaakov Sinlair's book, Seasons of the Moon is exquisite. I can't say that it will increase or decrease in monetary value whatsoever, but the value of the images and of the poetry inspired by judaism and israel is priceless.

Bruce Pollock
18-Jan-2009, 16:15
Getting some just for appreciation value might be nice but I would rather have books I really want and will look at and read again and again as time passes.

I agree with Dakotah. For me, buying a book for appreciation value turns you into a speculator/investor. I have a number of books which I purchased in the 1970s because I loved the images - it turns out that some of these books are quite valuable now, but that doesn't increase the viewing pleasure.

One book that I love to look at over and over is Walker Evans, First and Last. Another is Marie Cosindas, Color Photographs, a beautiful collection of large format Polaroids. Both are probably out of print.

Jim Becia
18-Jan-2009, 17:14
Keep the suggestions coming. I did state in the original post that I was not looking for appreciation, just some ideas of photography books worth collecting. I will only buy those that I think I might like. Thanks and I hope there are more suggestions coming. Jim

Merg Ross
18-Jan-2009, 19:11
I agree with the idea of buying books because you are moved by the content. Purchase what appeals to you and you will be well rewarded, monetary considerations aside. Only once did I buy with the intention of selling at a profit, and after fifty years I was handsomely rewarded. I purchased two copies at the time, one to peruse over the years and one kept under wraps. That was the extent of my collecting books for resale. As you have stated, you are not looking for appreciation, although that may be the end result.

Already mentioned, Lodima Press does an excellent job of printing and has a good list of lesser known photographers to offer. The Brett Weston Portfolio series is terrific for those who are his fans. The Baja Portfolio has just been released.

My most recent purchase was this week, a book on the work of Oliver Gagliani, a must have book for those with an interest in abstract photography. Also, my friend Chris Honeysett has two monographs that might interest you. His work is excellent, as are the books. (edit) I just checked and his first book has apparently sold out. The second, Essence of Forum is available.

Have fun, there are excellent deals on used photography books if condition is not all that important to you.

Michael Gordon
19-Jan-2009, 12:30
Here's a couple of recent-ish books that I really dig:

Michael Crouser; Los Toros (http://lostorosbook.com/). Superb images. Print quality could be better considering the price.

Fan Ho; Hong Kong Yesterday (http://www.modernbook.com/fanho.htm). Phenomenal photography and printing. I haven't yet seen The Living Theatre (http://www.modernbook.com/publications.html), but I would expect it to be equally impressive.

srbphoto
23-Jan-2009, 10:41
A couple of books I really like:

Along The Way by Mark Citret

Excellent reproductions, images broken down to their most basic forms. Excellent.

Imaging Edan by Lyle Gomes

The book is very well done though it does not do justice to Lyle's beautiful prints. His prints have some of the most subtle changes of midtones. Very tough to reproduce.

Michael Graves
23-Jan-2009, 11:02
A few of my favorites:

David Plowden: Imprints
Wynn Bullock: The Enchanted Landscape
Wright Morris: Photographs and Words
Ansel Adams: The Making of 40 Images
A Bunch of Nuts on a Forum: A Larger View

Jim Becia
23-Jan-2009, 16:19
Thanks for all the suggestions and certainly keep them coming.

Here's a list of some of the books I had and a couple of recent purchases:

Recollections - John Sexton
Two Hearted Oak - Roman Loranc
Intimations of Paradise - Christopher Burkett
Photographs and Words - Wright Morris
One Thosand Moons - Eddie Sollaway
Landscapes of the Spirit - William Neill
Ancient Shape of Man - John Eric Hawkins
The Americans- Robert Frank
William Eggleston's Guide - William Eggleston

My two recent purchases are:
China Li River - Josef Hoflehner
Essence of Form - Chris Honeysett (this one thanks to Merg Ross's suggestion).

I have my eye on a few others and when funds are available will try to pick up a few more. So, again, keep those ideas coming. Thanks. Jim

alec4444
23-Jan-2009, 20:42
I don't have very many photo books, partly because I don't find too many photographers whose style I enjoy all the way through. That's not to sound snotty or anything, but I better REALLY like most of the images in the book to think it's worth it. Couple books that fit the bill:

Three Gorges - Bill Zorn

The latter really blew me away! Hoping to acquire a print or three in better times.

I really enjoy some of the historical books like the one on the cikut camera (America by the Yard: Cirkut Camera). I saw this at ICP in new York selling at full retail. I was intrigued, but not $100 worth. Went home and found it on Amazon....NEW....for $20. looks like it's back up to $67.

A favorite acquisition is a photographic technical manual from 1888: "The Photographic Negative" by W.H. Burbank from "Scovill's Photographic Series". I've been able to read about the processes used in "the day" from a primary source; and lots of processes are covered. Err, plus I like the typography! :o If anyone has other books from this series that you're no longer interested in, please contact me!

Cheers!
--A

David Karp
23-Jan-2009, 22:17
Explorations by Ray McSavaney. You have to see it. A wonderful book.

Don7x17
23-Jan-2009, 22:22
Light Years...Morely Baer
Carleton Watkins in Yosemite (newly published By Getty)

Merg Ross
24-Jan-2009, 22:10
Thanks for all the suggestions and certainly keep them coming.

Here's a list of some of the books I had and a couple of recent purchases:

Two Hearted Oak - Roman Loranc
Intimations of Paradise - Christopher Burkett
Photographs and Words - Wright Morris
One Thosand Moons - Eddie Sollaway
Landscapes of the Spirit - William Neill
Ancient Shape of Man - John Eric Hawkins
The Americans- Robert Frank
William Eggleston's Guide - William Eggleston

My two recent purchases are:
China Li River - Josef Hoflehner
Essence of Form - Chris Honeysett (this one thanks to Merg Ross's suggestion).

I have my eye on a few others and when funds are available will try to pick up a few more. So, again, keep those ideas coming. Thanks. Jim

Jim, pleased to hear that you took my tip on the Chris Honeysett book, Essence of Form (this time I spelled it correctly). I assume you had the opportunity to peruse his website. He has done excellent work for many years, with a keen eye and total dedication to his art.

Also, I agree with the suggestion of Morley Baer's book (Light Years) from Photography West Gallery in Carmel, http://www.photographywest.com/, and taking a look at their other book offerings.

Thanks for the update, you already have an excellent library of photographic books.

Vaughn
24-Jan-2009, 22:53
Searching for True North photographs by Geir Jordahl

http://www.modernbook.com/publications.html -- about the third book down on the web page (has a pdf of samples from the book.) Very well done, well laid out and edited. Well-seen infra-red panoramic images (verticals).

Vaughn

Tim Hyde
3-Feb-2009, 17:01
I have come to rely on this site as the central resource for the photography book collector. If the book is available almost anywhere in the English-speaking world, it will be listed. http://www.abebooks.com/
I check it before bidding on a book at Photoeye, eBay, or one of the auction houses because it gives one a precise reading of the current market. It is also a good place to locate hard-to-find books. For example, it lists a shrink wrapped, signed copy of the Jordahl book mentioned above at Keller Photo in Crooked River Ranch in Oregon for $79.