PDA

View Full Version : Ektapan???

david clark
18-Jun-2001, 02:20
Hi folks, Anchell & Troop in The Film Developing Cookbook recommend Ektapan as a good flexible B&W film. Does anyone have any experience with this film. I'm won dering how it would be for field shots and portraits in natural light. Thanks, D avid

Doug Paramore
18-Jun-2001, 09:08
David: Go down to the bottom of this page to the Older Messages and go to the Film catagory. A question about Ektapan was answered a few weeks ago. It is a good general purpose film, but apparently has been dropped by Kodak. It was primarily a commercial applications film.

Regards,

Scott Walton
18-Jun-2001, 12:14
Ektapan IS a beautiful film but as Doug stated... Kodak discontinued.

Ken Burns
18-Jun-2001, 13:43
According to Kodak's website, Ektapan has not been discontinued.

kthompson
18-Jun-2001, 14:28
Yeah... I saw that post a while back & thought the same thing. Kodak has done away with both Pro Copy, and SO-132 this year, but I think Ektapan is still available. FWIW, if you pull up Pro Copy's tech sheet, there's a statement about it's being discontinued, but there isn't one for SO-132...I'm not sure why, because there was one online for a while, and I exchanged emails with a Kodak tech who said they discontinued that film as well...and gave me very detailed instructions why...

David, can't say how Ektapan will do in natural light, but this was a big studio portrait film at one time, as well as one used for copywork.

John Boeckeler
18-Jun-2001, 14:30
That Kodak lists a product on its website does not necessarily mean the product is available for the average consumer. For example, the Kodak website lists 5 x 7 as one of the sizes of T Max 400 film. But that film has been discontinued in 5 x 7 except for "special orders." John Boeckeler

William Marderness
18-Jun-2001, 20:47
I wanted to use Ektapan, but chose not to becuase it appears to be next on Kodak's soon-to-be discontinued list.

david o'connor
18-Jun-2001, 22:18
The great yellow rat-bastards are also showing 8X10 tech pan available on thier site. I asked a distributor and they laughed.. said its been unavailable for years in 8-10.

Charlie Stracl
19-Jun-2001, 15:22
I asked Kodak & got this reply:

Kodak Ektapan Film continues to be available in many sheet sizes, and I have heard no information as to a pending discontinuance of this film.

Thank you for visiting our Kodak web site. If you should have any questions on Kodak products or services, please be sure to revisit our site as we are continually adding information to enhance our service.

Sincerely,

Peter Vimislik Kodak Information Center (USA) Kodak Professional

800 Lee Road Door C Rochester, NY 14650-3109

1-800-242-2424 ext. 19 (Monday-Friday, 9am-7pm EST) http://www.kodak.com/go/professional

Sal Santamaura
19-Jun-2001, 21:40
B&H has it in stock in 4x5, 8x10 and 11x14! For 5x7 you'd have to wait 7-14 business days.

David Vickery
20-Jun-2001, 02:18
Ektapan. Responds well to pmk/pyro develpment (stains well). I love it. Great tonal qualities. I have only started using it so I haven't extensive experience yet but I love what I've done so far. I only do outdoor landscapes. If I had a bunch of money I would go buy a ton of ektapan in 4x5, 8x10, 11x14, and I dream of 16x20 sheets. Oh Man!

Geoffrey_1456
20-Jun-2001, 15:15
David,

Kodak Ektapan is a great BW film for landscape. Not just because of its sharpness, but also its tonality. I love it. You can get it from B&H and Badger Graphics, they have 4x5, 5x7, and 8x10 in stock. Cheers,