PDA

View Full Version : Fujifilm 4x loupe...

aphexafx
15-Jan-2009, 02:41
Does anyone think that this is a decent loupe or are there better deals to be had? I can't afford a Corvette. I can barely afford toast. It comes with a little bag, how cute.

???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=180320665242

I need a loupe, quick...and how. Is a 4x enough for general work? Don't hit me, I'm new.

Matus Kalisky
15-Jan-2009, 06:38
I do not have any of these, but they do show up relaively often on ebay (and sell around $40 or so). I would guess the quality should be comparable to loupes from Schneider or Rodenstock. I got a russin Horizon (great one!) for even less, but I would consider this a good price-to-performace ratio (given it perfomes as I would exect it)

Actually - what purpose should it serve mostly?

Gem Singer
15-Jan-2009, 06:55
I have two Fuji loupes. Paid over $100 for each of them a few years ago.

4x is the ideal magnification for focusing on a ground glass.

If I didn't already have a Fuji loupe, I'd grab one eBay for $49.

Best loupe I've ever used.

Dennis
15-Jan-2009, 07:28
I love mine. Really nice quality. I only paid 24 dollars on ebay about 4 years ago but 49 dollars is good.
Dennis

Steve Hamley
15-Jan-2009, 08:05
I second what Gem Singer and Dennis said. I've also used a Sylvestri but prefer the Toyo.

Steve

nathanm
15-Jan-2009, 09:48
I have that Fuji loupe. (for camera use, that is) It's nice, but I had to jury rig it with gaffer tape to fix the focus height. The screws on the cord are always coming undone cause the rubber bit doesn't rotate on the screw. I certainly wouldn't spend a hundred bucks on it, but it came with my camera kit so what the hey. Being round, it is not ideal for seeing the corners of the ground glass.

I've never tried them myself, but magnifying eyeglasses seems to make more sense. It would keep your hands free to muck with the camera.

Harley Goldman
15-Jan-2009, 16:31
I have that same loupe. I got it free from a Fuji rep at the local Samy's camera. I like it just fine. I also have the Schneider 4x and both work equally well.

Don Dudenbostel
16-Jan-2009, 14:46
I have several of them that my Fuji rep gave me. Excellent and one of the best I've ever used. I think they were around $100 each a year or so ago.

Herbert A Terbrack
16-Jan-2009, 14:59
Badger Graphics has a Toyo 3.6 loupe as $43.95. I bought this one after a frustrating time bidding on ebay. Shipping is usually fast.
http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=1186
Tony Terbrack

Nitish Kanabar
16-Jan-2009, 16:32
I have the same model and am generally satisfied with it. $49 seems like a good price to me.

The only concern I have is that the edge of the frosted plastic skirt seems slightly rough to the touch and I'm concerned that it'll scratch the fresnel lens. My setup has the fresnel behind the ground-glass - the smooth side of the fresnel lens is closest to my eyes and this is the surface on which the loupe rests.

Gem Singer
16-Jan-2009, 20:51
The smooth side of the Fresnel is plastic. Unless you have a thin cover glass to protect it, you are risking scratches with most loupes rubbing against the surface.

To play it safe, you can use fine sandpaper on the rough edge of the loupe to smooth it out and take care not to press it too hard against the plastic surface..

aphexafx
17-Jan-2009, 01:08
Thanks for the info everyone - I know that "Is this X decent" posts are tiring. I appreciate it.