PDA

View Full Version : Effect of freezing cold on mounted prints?

nathanm
14-Jan-2009, 21:52
I will need to store my dry-mounted prints in my car in the freezing cold for a few hours, is there any need to be concerned about the adhesive coming loose or anything? They'll be in plastic bags, but no other protection beyond that.

Andrew O'Neill
14-Jan-2009, 22:37
Nope. No worries I should think. The only time I had problems with the prints coming off the mount was in Japan during the humid summers (Kyushu).

nathanm
15-Jan-2009, 09:12
Thanks! I figured they'd be fine, but I thought I'd double check.

GPS
15-Jan-2009, 15:33
I will need to store my dry-mounted prints in my car in the freezing cold for a few hours, is there any need to be concerned about the adhesive coming loose or anything? They'll be in plastic bags, but no other protection beyond that.

If you have more of them together and they will get freezing cold themselves they can eventually condense on themselves the humidity of the surrounding air when brought back to the warmth. This condensed humidity can damage them.

nathanm
15-Jan-2009, 15:44
Should I leave them inside the plastic when I bring them indoors or take them out right away?

Steve Hamley
15-Jan-2009, 15:54
Leave them in the bag. You don't want a lot of relatively humid air contacting the prints. I'd also "squeeze" all the air out of them before sealing/closing the bag. I had some mats damaged this summer in my office due to humidity, but they were replacing the ventilation system which took several weeks.

Cheers,

Steve

GPS
15-Jan-2009, 16:09
Should I leave them inside the plastic when I bring them indoors or take them out right away?

As long as the surrounding air has access to the frames it doesn't matter if you leave them in the bag or out of it...:) Sealing the bag is a better idea.

nathanm
16-Jan-2009, 11:02
It's a float mount. Inkjet prints with dry-mount tissue on a sheet of matboard which is then dry-mounted to another sheet of matboard with foamcore backing sheet. (gives a nice little drop shadow in good light)

It's -17˚C / 2˚F today, I've got everything in bags\boxes in the car now. Not exactly vacuum sealed or anything, just taped-up garbage bags.