PDA

View Full Version : Using 9y old Tmax100?

brian robertson
14-Jan-2009, 06:46
I've just started 5x4 photography, and have inherited a sealed box of 25 Kodak Tmax 100. It is dated 10/1999. it has been kept cool- room termperature- all that time. Should I try it, even just to get used to the camera, and should I take any special measures? What should I rate it at? I develop in D76 just now. thanks!

nolindan
14-Jan-2009, 06:59
Should be OK. For the first shots rate it at 100 and develop as normal. I just shot some '97 vintage for some casual shots and it came out fine with no fog and at rated speed.

Walter Calahan
14-Jan-2009, 07:35
Sure, why not.

Rate it normally. Shoot one test sheet. Process it normally and judge the results. Make adjustment to future sheets based on the test.

brian robertson
14-Jan-2009, 07:46
THanks so much chaps. I shall give it a go tomorrow! I only have trays to develop in and am thinking if it is worthwhile to buy a tank of some kind. I'm a student, and doing this on the cheap, so any suggestions in this line also most welcome. All my best,

David A. Goldfarb
14-Jan-2009, 08:01
One attraction of TMX of that vintage is that it didn't have the UV filtering layer that current TMX has, so you could use it for alt-process negs, if you wanted to try that.

brian robertson
16-Jan-2009, 08:01
I tried this yesterday- it worked a treat! Thanks so much for your help all.

hmf
17-Jan-2009, 05:54
THanks so much chaps. I shall give it a go tomorrow! I only have trays to develop in and am thinking if it is worthwhile to buy a tank of some kind. I'm a student, and doing this on the cheap, so any suggestions in this line also most welcome. All my best,

What's wrong with continuing to use trays? They're inexpensive, versatile (work for different film sizes and can be used for printing, too) don't take up much room and ,with a bit of practice, will give you clean, evenly developed negatives.

Use the money that you'd have spent on a Jobo to buy more film.

Kirk Fry
17-Jan-2009, 21:54
I would like a moratorium on questions such as: "Will my glass plates from 1896 work? The answer is pretty obvious: try it! Yikes. Enough. K

jnantz
18-Jan-2009, 07:00
brian

enjoy your tmax!
i always shoot outdated tmax 100 and 400
and have had no problems with it.