PDA

View Full Version : Attic found: brass Darlot lens and Schneider filter

mattdang
13-Jan-2009, 21:22
Hi
I have found some lenses and really don't know much about them.
One is with the engraving Darlot Opticien Paris (it is huge and heavy).
The other one is a portrait lens, possibly by Darlot, since it was made in France.
And a B+W Schneider filter with a brass filter claim/holder ring (what mounting is this?).

I don't know anything about large format camera lenses, so if you know anything about those lenses and filter, please tell me.

Here is the link to the photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/34415912@N08/

Thank you so much!

Ole Tjugen
13-Jan-2009, 23:22
The "huge and heavy" short lens looks like a wide angle Aplanat or similar.

The portrait lens can be either a Petzval portrait lens or a Portrait Aplanat; if you can estimate the max aperture that that should tell which it is.

The Schneider filter has a fitting for an Aero-Xenar, or perhaps even a Schneider Göttingen Aerotar. What's the filter diameter? That looks like it might conceivably fit my Aerotar!

Aerotar bottom left:

Mike Tobias
14-Jan-2009, 03:29
Sigh.....

That clinches it, the next place I move into needs to have an attic......

Mike

goamules
14-Jan-2009, 07:11
It's always fun to discover. The fatter lens is a Darlot Wide Angle Hemisperical, I'm pretty sure. They usually have 3 lever stops, but perhaps you have an earlier or larger one that doesn't. Note, the very early (you'll have to research the serial number) ones were actually a partial hemisperical design, like the Harrison Globe. Later they changed them to rectilinear types, but kept the hemi name for sales reasons.

mattdang
14-Jan-2009, 07:47
It's always fun to discover. The fatter lens is a Darlot Wide Angle Hemisperical, I'm pretty sure. They usually have 3 lever stops, but perhaps you have an earlier or larger one that doesn't. Note, the very early (you'll have to research the serial number) ones were actually a partial hemisperical design, like the Harrison Globe. Later they changed them to rectilinear types, but kept the hemi name for sales reasons.

Thank you for your information goamules, I have researched the serial number, it is 4xxx. According to the posts by Milan Zahorcak, the big lens seems to be the earliest lens have ever found to have the name Darlot alone.

eddie
14-Jan-2009, 09:15
good score! everyone is jealous i am sure.....

Toyon
14-Jan-2009, 11:41
Wide angle darlots can be fantastic lenses.

mattdang
15-Jan-2009, 10:20
I haven't seen the aero-xenar. Can anyone confirm fitting for this brass (copper?) fitting?

Ole Tjugen
15-Jan-2009, 14:31
The Aero-Xenar is shown in the 1934 Schneider catalogue at http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/schneider_3.html

As far as I have been able to find out the Schneider Göttingen Aerotar was a WWII product only, but only by interpolating ISCO serial numbers. They have no records of ever having made one - nor any other records for much of WWII...

mattdang
15-Jan-2009, 16:12
Hi Ole Tjugen,
Thanks for your information. I've found the information on the filter. It is for the Schneider Gottingen Xenon lens on military airplane camera during WWII. You are awesome.

Steve M Hostetter
15-Jan-2009, 17:30

I have one of these,,, thx for that info .. I always thought it was a 8-1/2"

CCHarrison
18-Jan-2009, 04:40
Yes, its a Darlot WA Hemi (same as my avatar ) that is missing the 3 lever aperture set....hence the empty slot on the lens...

Your other lens on ebay is mislabeled as a Darlot Cone Centralisateur.

You can see a photo and some text of a true Cone Centralisateur on my page here:
http://antiquecameras.net/petzvallens.html
under Petzval variations..... I also attached a photo of the Cone lens..Note the pronounced rear "cone" shape of the lens.....

hope this helps.

Dan

mattdang
19-Jan-2009, 15:27
Thanks, I have corrected the listing.
the lenses are on Ebay now. I wanted to try the lenses out, but don't have the time.
here are the listings (Ebay Item numbers):