PDA

View Full Version : 5X7 Prinzdorf - Value

beemermark
11-Jan-2009, 19:49
I'm thinking seriously about selling my 5x7 camera but I have no idea what to ask. Don't want to put it on fleabay to find out either. It's called a "Prinzdorf", made in India and I think it's a copy of a Deardorf. I've had it a pretty long time and don't even remember where I got it or how much it cost. It's a nice solid wood field camera with a lot of movements and extension. I also have the 4x5 back for it. I love 5x7 but I'm getting to that age were it's just big to haul around. I'll probably just stick with 4x5.

Any suggestions?

beemermark
12-Jan-2009, 15:38
104 lookers and no one has any idea! somebody must have an opinion!

What's a 5x7 Deardorf worth?

Does $750 sound reasonable?

dazedgonebye
12-Jan-2009, 15:44
Posting pictures always seems to bring better responses.

I have nothing to offer myself.

beemermark
12-Jan-2009, 17:33
Photo attached

Vaughn
12-Jan-2009, 18:20
Pictures are good -- I had assumed it would by like my Raja -- also a direct knock off of a Deardorf Special (4x5/5x7 camera). Yours looks a lot nicer. Mine had brass and was bought new in 1980 (it came with an incredible 210 Computar Symmatron(sp) lens and just the 4x5 back...under $600 I think).

I think $750 would be okay deal if it came with a few things like holders...and a very sweet deal for someone if it came with the lens.

Vaughn

beemermark
12-Jan-2009, 21:20
Holders & 2 lens board (plus the 4x5 back) but the lens I keep for my 4x5.

beemermark
12-Jan-2009, 21:22
I really like this camera, a 5x7 contact print is (IMHO) the best next to a 11x17. Never liked the 8x10 format. 4x5 you can crop and enlarge. The outfit (with tripod) just keeps getting heavier (can't be because I'm getting older?)

Vaughn
12-Jan-2009, 22:04
... The outfit (with tripod) just keeps getting heavier (can't be because I'm getting older?)

Then you need to get out more with it and keep your legs strong! (I carry an 8x10 and I am certainly "getting older"!) I lost my Raja (set up for 5x7) in 1995...I was only in my early 40's back then...hardly felt the camera on my back....wish I could say the same about my 8x10!

I bought a B&J 5x7 recently for about half of what you are suggesting for yours...yours is definitely prettier and easier to haul around. So perhaps $750 would be a good place to start...and give you some wiggle room if someone was very interested, but needed to have the price knocked down a little.

Good luck!

Vaughn

beemermark
13-Jan-2009, 15:35
Then you need to get out more with it and keep your legs strong! (I carry an 8x10 and I am certainly "getting older"!) I lost my Raja (set up for 5x7) in 1995...I was only in my early 40's back then...hardly felt the camera on my back....wish I could say the same about my 8x10!

Vaughn

It isn't the weight of the camera ( camera doesn't weight much more than my Toyo), it's the tripod and everything else. I've been looking at tripods and it's jst too much money for now.

Gene McCluney
17-Jan-2009, 12:21
the Prinzdorff was a private label brand for Prinz camera stores, wasn't it?