PDA

View Full Version : gitzo 1505 vs 5541

boris
9-Jan-2009, 15:36
hi all,
if weight isn't very important, would you pay 350$ for carbon fiber and the new twist-lock design (g-lock, ALR) ? is there any other advantage over the "cheaper" aluminium tripod? what about the old twist lock compared to the new?
thanks, boris

David A. Goldfarb
9-Jan-2009, 16:32
The old twist locks were what kept me from buying a Gitzo for years. The new twist locks are a major improvement. I've got the 5540LS.

Robert A. Zeichner
9-Jan-2009, 16:37
I just bought a GT2541L to support my 4x5 Ikeda when I'm traveling by air. The G-lock leg assemblies and the other improvements like a non-twist rapid column and a hook for a weight and spikes for the legs are very valuable features to me. The leg locks are a big improvement over my Series 3 Gitzo Carbon Fiber tripod.

boris
9-Jan-2009, 17:08
what is so great with the new system? what was so bad with the old one?
sorry about the silly questions but a never had one. :confused:

David A. Goldfarb
9-Jan-2009, 18:53
The new ones have a short throw and lock definitively without having to apply much force, and the tubes don't twist, so it's quick and easy to open, say, two sections and tighten, or close all three legs at once, or loosen and tighten the legs in any order, because you don't have to worry about other legs twisting if they're loose. The new locks use a twisting motion, but it's more like using a tripod with cam lever locks, like a Manfrotto/Bogen.

With the old style and other twist locks there was a more linear relationship between the amount of tension in the lock and the amount of force the user applied, so you didn't have a definite lock position, and if they became worn, they would require greater tightening, hand scraping, potential thread stripping, galling, and such. The old Gitzos were good tripods, but I never cared for this mechanism, so I used a Bogen mainly with cam lever locks.

AlexLF
10-Jan-2009, 07:05
I bought Gitzo 1500 half a year ago (I needed heavy tripod). But before this I had Bogen/Manfrotto 055NAT and I think Bogen/Manfrotto locks are better. I've had problems with Gitzo's lock when it's cold and/or raining because once the locks are tighten it's very possible you won't be able to untighten them some time later (15 minutes and more). I even had to cancel my shooting once because it was raining and I was all wet and I was not able to untighten the locks on one of the legs!

(sorry for my english)

timparkin
11-Jan-2009, 03:37
The new ones have a short throw and lock definitively without having to apply much force, and the tubes don't twist, so it's quick and easy to open, say, two sections and tighten, or close all three legs at once, or loosen and tighten the legs in any order, because you don't have to worry about other legs twisting if they're loose. The new locks use a twisting motion, but it's more like using a tripod with cam lever locks, like a Manfrotto/Bogen.

With the old style and other twist locks there was a more linear relationship between the amount of tension in the lock and the amount of force the user applied, so you didn't have a definite lock position, and if they became worn, they would require greater tightening, hand scraping, potential thread stripping, galling, and such. The old Gitzos were good tripods, but I never cared for this mechanism, so I used a Bogen mainly with cam lever locks.

I have to agree with this.. especially the bit about the new twist being like a cam lock.. You need very little twist to tighten, perhaps 20deg, and pressure from the camera makes them tighten harder. On opening, there is a definite unlocking feel. i.e. you twist about 10deg and it's like overcoming a cam lock - once past this 10 deg the leg is completely free. I can open and close the tripod (3540XLS) in about 10-15s..

Adjusting a single leg is now a lot easier too (I love the ridiculously excessive height of the XLS too - in fact it's not ridiculously excessive at all, it just seems so at first)

Tim

boris
11-Jan-2009, 11:54
tim,

do you think the 3541 will support a wooden 8x10 with a 300mm lens?

Steve Hamley
11-Jan-2009, 21:22
Boris, yes it will. The legs aren't an issue, good performance will depend on the head.

The new Gitzo carbon fiber tripods are really worth it. I'm using the GT3541XLS mostly for 4x5, but it will support the 8x10 just fine with the 1370M or 1570M head. Like Tim, I like the extra height of the XLS, usually because I can put a very long leg down a hill.

The leg locks take less force to lock, you can loosen or tighten in any order and they won't rotate.

But I liked even the old CF Gitzo's better than the aluminum versions. My old 1348 CF was stiffer than a huge 9-foot Gitzo 5000-series aluminum tripod. I attribute this to the CF leg locks which were about twice as long as the ones on aluminum tripods; they simply did not flex at the joints. The new locks are shorter, but equally rigid.

Fully extended with head, the GT1341XLS is almost 8 feet/2.4 meters high. I have a picture somewhere.

Cheers,

Steve

Steve Hamley
11-Jan-2009, 21:50
Just an additional thought, if 8x10 is the only format you'll be shooting, a 5541 or a 1548 would make a less top heavy setup.

Cheers,

Steve

boris
14-Jan-2009, 17:08
because of the replies i ordered the manfrotto 536.
the manfrotto 535 like the gitzo 3541LS would be o.k but i want to be calm even under unfavorable conditions.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/556158-REG/Bogen_Manfrotto_536_536_4_Section_Carbon_Fiber.html

it's not a gitzo... but it is stable, easy to operate and just 60% of gitzos (5541) price.

thanks to everybody for sharing your experience

boris
30-May-2009, 18:17
i cancelled my order on the manfrotto 536 and ordered the brand new gitzo gt4330ls tripod with the new gitzo systematic ball head. the tripod arrived today. it wasn't cheap but it is worth every euro i paid for! :)