PDA

View Full Version : For Sale/Wanted

venchka
9-Jan-2009, 10:21
Does this forum have an official or unofficial courtesy procedure? I know some forums ask that interest in an item be shown by leaving a message like "PM sent". I ask because in thel ast week I have been the only person to leave such a message only to find out that there is a long queue ahead of me for the particular item.

Wayne

Ash
9-Jan-2009, 10:46
Wayne I think if you are there expeditiously then leaving a 'pm sent' on a popular item saves disappointment for somebody else. I don't think it's a rule or a given. Sometimes I've pm'd without leaving any indication on a for-sale, but usually I do as a courtesy and to piss on the lamp post.

Frank Petronio
9-Jan-2009, 10:53
I think it is rude, or to be kind, ignorant -- for someone to leave these "PM Sent" tags because it queers the sale to other buyers, long after the private message sender has bailed or flaked out on the deal. Please don't do it anymore.

Only the seller should indicate that the item is "pending payment" or "sold". Too many times the person who sends the first private message doesn't end up buying, but it looks like they've laid claim to the item and scared other people away.

venchka
9-Jan-2009, 11:18
Fair enough. Other places are different.

Ash
9-Jan-2009, 11:18
All too true Frank, but if I want something and there's already a 'pm sent' I'll still send a message and join the queue as it were.

eric black
9-Jan-2009, 11:46
I agree, good point Frank- I am guilty of having pee'd too soon on a couple of posts and felt bad about it later- some of the good stuff around here sure goes fast though- I for one will modify my behavior and just get in the queue from now on

Paul Bujak
9-Jan-2009, 12:06
I agree with Frank but please, sellers, post when the item is sold or reply to all the non-successful buyers. I just hate to sit out there wondering if my PM was received only to find out much later that I was too late. :(

Paul

venchka
9-Jan-2009, 13:19
All's well that ends well.

I'm cool.

Michael Graves
9-Jan-2009, 13:57
I think it is rude, or to be kind, ignorant -- for someone to leave these "PM Sent" tags because it queers the sale to other buyers, long after the private message sender has bailed or flaked out on the deal. Please don't do it anymore.

Only the seller should indicate that the item is "pending payment" or "sold". Too many times the person who sends the first private message doesn't end up buying, but it looks like they've laid claim to the item and scared other people away.

Odd. I didn't USED to post that I'd PM'ed until I got dumped on privately for NOT doing it. So I started. Sorry for becoming ignorant.

venchka
9-Jan-2009, 14:01
All I know is that some forums request that a buyer send a PM to a seller and indicate such in the listing as well. It doesn't always happen that way.

Lachlan 717
9-Jan-2009, 14:02
I agree in principle with Frank; however, I would also think that a significant number of origin PMs DO end up in successful sales.

Maybe the protocol should be that you should PM as the second person to show that there is additional interest in the item? May put pressure on the original PM'er and allow the seller some leeway to abandon the first if he/she doesn't put their money where their mouth is...

Maybe a poll should be considered on the matter?

venchka
9-Jan-2009, 14:04
Suffice to say that being persistent today paid off for me.

BrianShaw
9-Jan-2009, 14:09
I think it is rude, or to be kind, ignorant -- for someone to leave these "PM Sent" tags because it queers the sale to other buyers...

I have the same sentiment about the increasing number of "Wow, this is a great price" or "Hey, this item sold for much less on ebay" kind of messages that seem to be increasingly prevalent. :eek:

Frank Petronio
9-Jan-2009, 14:50
I think it's OK to help the seller if you know they are a reliable, honest person, so I am happy to bump their sale back up and recommend them, especially if it is a good price for a beginner's outfit -- which seems to be a frequent need here. The other day some newbie was asking questions and there was this fantastic deal on a 3-lens Linhof outfit, so it was really nice to let him know that he couldn't go wrong with that (it was probably half price.)

What is nasty is when somebody posts a negative about the item or says that the asking price is too high. It may well be the case but the buyer is responsible for doing their homework -- and if you can't say something nice about something, better not to say it at all.

Unless it's... lol

That is a good point about showing additional interest so there is pressure on the first inquirer - PM'er to move along with their deliberations.... Guess you can see it both ways. And true, the seller needs to post when the sale happens to make it work smoother.

How about no more added rules and just good intentions?

Rodney Polden
9-Jan-2009, 20:53
It would certainly help if sellers post to confirm it is sold, so the rest of us can just pass on by, without having to guess at the likelihood of whether a PM would be wasted or not.
Not a rule, just an "invitation"?

Jim Graves
10-Jan-2009, 00:02
I think it is fine to post a "PM sent" if you are notifying the seller that you want the item at their asking price (including postage/PayPal fees/or other provisions of the offer) ... otherwise, as Frank says (in no uncertain terms) a "PM sent" message gives a false impression that the sale is a done deal, deters others with interest, and is inappropriate.

Ralph Barker
10-Jan-2009, 00:18
We don't have procedural "rules" for the FS/WTB section, largely because it's an at-your-own-risk area. Common sense and common courtesy should prevail.

Personally, however, I've always viewed the "PM sent" replies to be courteous, particularly when followed by a note from the seller indicating either the item was sold or is still available. The assumption, of course, is that the PM was a valid offer. Others interested shouldn't be dissuaded from contacting the seller, anyway.