PDA

View Full Version : Best film for rotary processing with HC110

walter23
7-Jan-2009, 15:23
I think the developer that's most economic and convenient for me is HC-110. But I can't quite figure out which film is best suited to rotary processing with it. FP4+ gets way too contrasty (maybe I can tweak it by reducing the time). I did a 120 roll of TMY400 and it looked pretty nice - maybe I should try the tmax films?

Bruce Watson
7-Jan-2009, 15:35
I think the developer that's most economic and convenient for me is HC-110. But I can't quite figure out which film is best suited to rotary processing with it. FP4+ gets way too contrasty (maybe I can tweak it by reducing the time). I did a 120 roll of TMY400 and it looked pretty nice - maybe I should try the tmax films?

My experience with HC-110 in a rotary processor (Jobo CPP-2, 3010 tank) led me to believe that HC-110 is just too active a developer for this duty. By the time I made that decision I was at HC-110H, 5 minutes, 20C, 25rpm, and my 5x4 Tri-X was still giving me a zone VIII density of over 1.5. This with a 4 minute pre-wash. HC-110 was just uncontrollable for me.

I switched over to XTOL and now use it 1:3 with 400Tmax. Much easier to control, excellent results, and it tests out to box speed plus 1/3 stop to boot.

So, I don't know what film will work for you (it's not likely going to be Tri-X), but I do know why you are having problems finding one. Sorry.

Ron Marshall
7-Jan-2009, 17:52
I had the same experience as Bruce. HC-110 worked well in the Combi, but after switching to a Jobo I found it too active. I also switched to XTOL and am very happy with it, especially for negs intended for scanning.

BradS
7-Jan-2009, 20:34
yeah, me too. HC-110 was my only developer - untill I moved up to Large Format and continuous rotary agitation in a Jobo drum. It just builds contrast way, way too fast. I tried, and tried and tried....320TXP, HP-5, FP-4, Fomapan 200 - which is really bad, and Forte 400 (J&C classic pan). HC-110 just doesn't work with that much agitation. I finally went back to good old 320TXP and D-76 (1+1) or D-23 straight up.

It's not economical if it doesn't work.

(you might try Efke PL-100 - it seems pretty lifeless to me...needs a kick! but, if that doesn't work out...I'd not spend alot of effort trying to find something that does. )

VictoriaPerelet
8-Jan-2009, 18:08
Walter,

Most of out of manufacturer instructions for B/W are not good for Jobo. You can google and find that Jobo (Company) itself struggled with B/W. Most of manufacturer instructions are either for tray or deep tank processing - "standard" ways for B/W development.

For rotary, you'll need to play with dilution and times. HC110 can give very good results. Here are couple of examples:

http://www.victoriasphoto.com/Notes/Jobo_XTOL_dil_HC100/

Victoria

ic-racer
9-Jan-2009, 09:42
I use T-max developer to rotary process just about everything (Minox to 8x10 and everything in between since 1988) and it works well.