PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations for a Lightweight 4x5 for Urban Landscape

JPlomley
6-Jan-2009, 11:33
I could really use some help here on what is currently available to take to the streets. I'm currently using an Arca Swiss F-Field camera for landscape work, but trekking through the urban jungle with this camera is a bit much. So I'm looking for something lighter and more compact. Any and all suggestions are most welcome. My lens line-up for urban scapes would include the 55 APO Grandagon, 75 Grandagon-N and 110 XL Asph. On the long end a 180mm, but doubtful at this point.

Cheers,
Jeff

Frank Petronio
6-Jan-2009, 12:08
Short of a Toyo or Gowland type camera or a wooden Tachihara, the thing that seems the next logical step would be something like a Cambo - Fotoman - Silvestri - Sinar - Arca - Linhof 4x5 with the lenses on shift boards and with helical mounts. As long as you have room to shift isn't that all you need mostly?

Eric James
6-Jan-2009, 12:32
The Ebony SW45 is well suited for the lenses you list. It weighs in at 3.3 pounds (1.5KG).

ic-racer
6-Jan-2009, 14:58
I have the Horseman FA 4x5 in and the VHR 6x9cm. When in the urban setting, I prefer the VHR, because it can be focused quickly with the rangefinder. When I need 4x5, the FA is nice because I exclusively use the fold-out hood to focus. Thus, never needing to put my head under a dark-cloth. The whole camera can fold-up, but it is easier to leave it un-folded, with a quick release on the bottom and a lens & cable release mounted and ready to go. I have a shoulder bag that holds it in that configuration.

Paul O
6-Jan-2009, 15:30
Ebony SW45!

Harley Goldman
6-Jan-2009, 16:31
Chamonix would be my choice. I shot with an Arca F-Line Classic for 4 or 5 years. I bought the Cham to replace my Toho as my lightweight backpacking/travel camera. After using the Chamonix a couple of times, I sold the Toho and the Arca and have not missed either in the slightest. My $0.02 worth.

Richard M. Coda
6-Jan-2009, 18:07
I think you already have the perfect camera, as do I!

I also use an Arca 8x10 F Metric and soon, a custom hybrid Canham/Arca 11x14 back for the 8x10, all in the urban environment. What was it that Brett Weston said? :)

Peter De Smidt
6-Jan-2009, 21:14
I second the Chamonix. It works well with wide lenses, plus it's light, rigid, easy to use, and not that expensive. I used to own a Toho FC-45X Shimo, and I definitely prefer the Chamonix. (I use Arca F series cameras on a regular basis as well.)

Steve Hamley
6-Jan-2009, 21:32
I'd suggest an Ebony Rw45, although for the stated lenses, the SW45 may be better. Although you'd lose the 55mm equivalent and not LF, the Texas Leica (Mamiya 7II) with a 43mm, 65mm or 80mm, and 150mm would be an excellent choice. It's fast, hand holdable, and produces results that rival 4x5. The camera, three lenses, some film and accessories will fit in a Lowepro Orion belt pack.

Cheers,

Steve

Bill_1856
6-Jan-2009, 21:51
It's actually hard to beat a Linhof Technika for landscapes, both urban and rural.

Matus Kalisky
7-Jan-2009, 02:47
I would just say that if you plan to use the 55 the Tachihara might not be the best choice. It MAY be double on recessed board but probably with no movements. Just remember - probably no field wooden camera will give you the rigidity and precision of your Arca you might got used to (and spoilt by :) ).

Funny - I think of getting a camera Like Arca Swiss F field (or similar) because the Tachi does not cut it for me with Grandagon N75/4.5 and you seem to go the opposite way - maybee we could make an exchange :D . What is actually that you do not like using your Arca in the city?

mccormickstudio
7-Jan-2009, 12:13
I think the Chamonix would be a good choice. I don't own a Chamonix 4x5 (yet), but I've fondled one. I use a Chamonix 8x10 with a 210, 240 and 360mm in a backpack in the urban and sub-urban landscape and have been very happy with it. I don't know what the front rise on the Chamonix 45 is, but sometimes I wish I had just a bit more rise on the 8x10. My only complaint.

Good luck!

John Kasaian
7-Jan-2009, 12:49
It's actually hard to beat a Linhof Technika for landscapes, both urban and rural.

I wholeheatedly concur!

Peter De Smidt
8-Jan-2009, 16:24
Another option, very similar to the Chamonix, is the Shen Hao PTB. Badger Graphics has these in stock at $650. http://www.badgergraphic.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=2766 Badger is a great place to deal with.

Steve Barber
8-Jan-2009, 16:44
For walking around in urban areas, where you have to carry everything, I put together a kit based on an Ebony Wide45 with lenses from 47mm up to 180mm,10 film holders, a set of Lee filters for both color and black and white, adaptors, polarizer, a BTZS hood and the usual bits. I get everything inside a bag measuring 18x12x10 that weighs just over 20 pounds and is easily carried on a shoulder strap with a lightweight carbon-carbon tripod in the off hand.

The Wide45 is discontinued and I bought it, used, for considerably less than the cost of a new SW45, the current model, that would have been my next choice.

Dominique Cesari
9-Jan-2009, 08:34
If you have the money, the Ebony 45S is perfect. Slightly heavier than the other wood cameras mentionned, but worth. Everything is at least very good on this camera, with a special mention for the bellows.

Mike Herring
9-Jan-2009, 10:34
Hi Harvey<

Re: What was it that Brett Weston said?

Brett Weston said many things during his long illustrious career. During the last years of his career, he most often used a Rollei SL66 and produced magnificent prints with this much maligned beast.

All the best,
Mike

I think you already have the perfect camera, as do I!

I also use an Arca 8x10 F Metric and soon, a custom hybrid Canham/Arca 11x14 back for the 8x10, all in the urban environment. What was it that Brett Weston said? :)

Richard M. Coda
9-Jan-2009, 10:47
Brett Weston said many things during his long illustrious career. During the last years of his career, he most often used a Rollei SL66 and produced magnificent prints with this much maligned beast.

Yes, he did say many things, and I have an example of each (8x10 and 66) on my walls.

I believe the quote was something like, '[the] big cameras separate the men from the boys." I'm sure he said that when he was younger. :)

Bill_1856
9-Jan-2009, 11:53
I thought that he said, "There's nothing worth photographing more than 100 yards from the car."

icefan13
9-Jan-2009, 11:58
I'd suggest an Ebony Rw45, although for the stated lenses, the SW45 may be better. Although you'd lose the 55mm equivalent and not LF, the Texas Leica (Mamiya 7II) with a 43mm, 65mm or 80mm, and 150mm would be an excellent choice. It's fast, hand holdable, and produces results that rival 4x5. The camera, three lenses, some film and accessories will fit in a Lowepro Orion belt pack.

Cheers,

Steve

I've never heard of that being refered to as a 'Texas Leica' before. Pretty funny.

I've actually been debating whether to buy one (and actually trying to decide between that and the Mamiya 6.) The 7 compensates for the rangefinder though, doesn't it?

jimmygcreative
11-Jan-2009, 20:30
I have an arca 6x9 with 3 back and 3 lens for a real good price fits into small case

Chris Dunham
11-Jan-2009, 21:14
I use a Camonix 45 for that sort of work but think a light weight rail would be great (can't suggest which rail but there's a stack of them out there).

Chris.